SVT Pedals and Heel and Toe - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
SVT Pedals and Heel and Toe

I apologize in advance Doug if this is the wrong forum (though I think I'm in the right place for once).

Anyway, this is something I've realized a long time ago with the SVT Focus. Though, the pedals are positioned better than most American cars, they're still awkwardly spaced for heel and toe. Mainly, the gas pedal is too far down from the brake pedal. As I was at this metal shop for my senior engineering design class, we were going through the scrap metal. I kept thinking, man, I'd love to do something with this stuff, but nothing pertains to my project. Well, after I drove home I realized, a spacer on the gas pedal would be awesome to improve heel and toe. With all the scrap metal I saw, I could easily fabricate an aluminum spacer.

I was reminded of this when I was talking to the Cooper S driver at the autox this weekend. I was told he almost got an SVT Focus himself, and I asked him why he didn't like it. He said he didn't like the looks (? I don't know either ?), and he also said he didn't like the pedal positions. "They weren't set up right for heel and toe." I asked him what was wrong with the layout, and he said exactly what I was thinking, "the gas pedal is too far away."

I was curious has anyone else thought of this? Maybe I just don't know how to heel and toe properly. I actually prefer to roll over my foot and press on both adjusting the foot angle rather than using my heel and toe. Still, it's the same concept, and I hear both methods can be used. I can't really see any other issues arising with the pedal adjustment, and the throttle response shouldn't change since the arc is barely increased for the pedal travel. There's no other way to adjust the pedal height, is there?

alex

SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
FocusInAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've thougt the same; too far apart.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
I've tried heel and toe a few times in the Focus and found it awkward as well... but it wasn't a deal breaker obviously, I still bought the car.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #4
Oni
Oh yeah!

Well, I might give it a try soon (particularly over the holidays). I'm not a metal expert or anything, but I have some of the equipment up at my college to probably fabricate it. If I can get a good idea going and some prototypes made, I'd glady share them with some other owners on here. We will see. I hope this isn't just another one of my ideas that goes to the way side or just takes half a year to get around to.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #5
jr_psychologist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11554
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jr_psychologist Good Standing Member
I've found it somewhat difficult because under hard braking my foot is below the accelerator and to get back above it to roll over and blip the throttle is tough to do unless I'm thinking ahead and have my foot well positioned on the brake pedal already.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 AM   #6
Oni
Oh yeah!

Hmm, I honestly don't have that much travel in my brake pedal to actually go below the gas pedal's "neutral" position.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 12-02-2005, 02:10 AM   #7
Oni
Oh yeah!

Size 12 Vans + me lacking rev matching technique = new clutch ... again.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 12-02-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
Logiemasta311
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23179
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Logiemasta311 Good Standing Member
ive got some big-ass feet as well...i think ive got rev-matching down, but i have the samw problem with the brake pedal going past the accelerator. And "ilcowil" i bet if you are able to solve this problem w/ some fabrication, some people on the board would be willing to buy one of your inventions, me included. Keep us updated.
SVT Squad #99
Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
HTPerformance

Fan#:
I do remember a couple times that this was quite clumsy actually when wearing "big soled shoes" like Sketchers for instance, once I came to a very abrupt stop and when pushing the brake pedal down very quickly the sole actually caught on the gas a bit.

I think if it was raised a bit it would help tremendously.

My other question is have any of you figured out how to make the clutch pedal height shorter for faster engagement?

-Brian

Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
technyne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4422
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRED SVTF | Build 429 of 3985 | Born 3-6-2003

FF Reputation: 1 technyne Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'll gladly pay for one of them if you post pictures and complete the work. I could definitely use one. I have the Baer big brake kit w/ stainless lines, so I rarely get to more than half depressed before Im eating my steering wheel, nonetheless I would LOVE a spacer.

-Technyne

Bookmarks & Social Networks