The "Official" Winter 2005/2006 Tire and Rim Thread - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
igor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Winter Tire and Wheel thread

Well I am plannig ofr the first winter.

I was gonna just buy the tires, but TireRack said I should consider smaller wheel , in diamerter and width.

So I was thinking to minus-size..
my stock setup is 205x50R16"
I was thinking about going 185x60R15"

but now I saw low availability of steel 15"ers, but better for 14"ers.
the wheel is 6"x14" so I suppose 185x65R14" would be the minus sized tire.

There a could of questions I have:
- The recommendation was to fo to thinner tires, so I do not have to "plow" through the snow in gread width. But won't the decreased width, decrease traction also?

- Will be going from 16" to 14" too great of a jump.. I am no hard driver, expecially in the winter, but I am wondering.

- did I get my minus sizing right with the 14"ers? or donI need even taller tire than 65?

- Is there a cost saving in having a mounted winter tires and just swat the weels? I.e. will it cost less to swap at a shop? My dealer quoted me $20 to replace and banace a tire - so the benchmark is about $80.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Hey, Moe!
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27467
What I Drive: '07 Red SE MT, '13 BMW 128

FF Reputation: 1 Hey, Moe! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here's my Focus winter tire experience.

With 50-series tires, my 2002 ZTS didn't like snow. Wide tires tend to "float" on top of snow, and not dig in.

Two years ago, I purchased 195-60-15 Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires mounted on steel wheels from the Tire Rack. The car instantly changed from a wreck about to happen to a car that would get through anything.

I can't say enough about the Blizzaks. They grab like crazy, and the narrower tire is more likely to dig down into snow, and allow the sticky Blizzak compound to grab. They supposedly wear a bit more than other tires, but I am going to put them my '05 ST for their third winter season.

I am sold on separate wheels for snow tires. It makes changing over easy, and saves my stock wheels.

I will buy Blizzaks again, though I found that my local dealer carries them, and I will price them there. I like to buy local if the price is close.

Yes, the handling is a hair wiggly, nothing dangerous though. I'll trade that for the ability to drive up a mountainside road covered with a half-foot of snow, and maneuver around three stalled semi-trailers without sliding.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
dgualtie

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
I too used blizzacks. i had them mounted on stock 17" rims and i had no problem. there will be a decrease in performance with snow tires. that just goes with the territory. going from 16" to 14" you will most likely see more side wall flex as you corner but the ride will be softer.

On a previous thread there was a tire size calculater that was available so that way you could find out what sizeyou would need so that you wouldn't throw off your speedometer too much. Some one might still have the link
SVT squad #7
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
focuson03
Formerly Focused

Fan#: 556
What I Drive: 2007 Galaxy Gray Mazda3 GT

FF Reputation: 1 focuson03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i've got 185/65/15's on my car for the winter. they're Pirelli Winter Carving Tires, they're servere snow rated and are awesome. if you go here there's a tire size calculator to figure out what the best size tire will be for different size rims.

-Josh
Old 09-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
igor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
yeah I found the calculator.. .just for the record the minus sizing goes as follows:

50R16
60R15 or 65R15
70R14

yeah.. I am considering the minus - sizing... with Blizzak WS 50 and some steel wheels.

Below are the prices I found so far.

14" : $71 Tire (TireRack) + $53 Wheel (ford-parts.com) = $124 p/wheel = $496 total
15": $76 Tire (TireRack) + $68 Wheel (my Ford dealer) = $144 p/w = $576 total
16": $112 Tire (TireRack)+ $0 Wheel = $112 p/w = $448 total

Now the last question I have is:
How much cheaper does it end up being having the wheels when it comes to changing the wheels every season?
Can you do it yourself? Prop up, unbold, replace, bolt on? and if not, how much does the shop/dealer ask?

Thanks

Igor

Last edited by igor; 09-28-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
Here's another vote for the Pirelli Winter Carving tires. They are a pretty good price and have superb performance. This will be their second season and I mounted them on my stock wheels, I left my summer wheels and tires in the house. I put my summers back on in april and we had a freak snowstorm and I can tell you that the winter tires make a tremendous difference.

I would say stay with the 15" tires. I'd start to worry about brake/rim interference going that small.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
We have 205/55-16 Winterforce snow tires on the stock rims for winter use. We got them locally but I believe Tire Rack also carries them. They were relatively inexpensive and work great. Nice directional tread, good size voids, and lots of sharp edges and siping. They are a little taller than the stock size but only rub at full lock and thats with an Eibach pro system. I doubt there would be any rubbing at stock ride height.

I support the narrow snow tire theory. If you're going to buy new wheels go 15's and 195/60-15. You'll find a lot of tires at reasonable prices in this size range. 205/55-15 is an option as well but I wouldn't go wider than this. More of the cars weight will be confined to a smaller contact patch afforded by narrower tires and this will improve traction in snow and ice.

Blizzack is a good tire but, in my opinion, overpriced for a tire that doesn't last very long. Their proprietary thread is extremely soft, and while great in snow, doesn't last long on pavement. This special thread compound (what your paying for) is only in the top half of the tread depth. The bottom half is regular rubber. Once they're half worn they're no better than any other tire. If you want to spend those kind of bucks look into Nokian snow tires (also known as Hakka's). This is the best snow tire there is, just ask any norge, fin, or swede!

Having sperate wheels is convenient. Most tire joints will swap them for the cost of a balance if you buy the tire from them. Assuming that is 10 to 15 bucks per tire that's 40 to 60 dollars in the fall and once again in the spring for a total of 80.00 to 120.00 a year. That's equivalent to one good alloy wheel or a couple of steelies. You'll pay for the steelies in two years or some alloys in three to four years. If you plan on keeping the car for a while new wheels are economical and will save you money in the long run.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
focuson03
Formerly Focused

Fan#: 556
What I Drive: 2007 Galaxy Gray Mazda3 GT

FF Reputation: 1 focuson03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
yeah, i rock the steelies in the winter. try looking in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum, that's where i got mine for an awesome deal.

-Josh
Old 09-29-2005, 03:32 AM   #9
EricR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21957
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 EricR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Geezer
...look into Nokian snow tires (also known as Hakka's). This is the best snow tire there is, just ask any norge, fin, or swede! ...
We have Nokians on our Honda van and are quite impressed. Excellent handling & traction in all conditions (dry, wet, ice, packed & fluff). The Nokians are far better than the Toyo Observes we had before.

If you're having trouble tracking some down, check to see if there is a Tire Factory store in your area.

Nokian =
Old 09-29-2005, 04:00 AM   #10
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
I really don't like my WS-50's too much. Yes they are superb in snow and ice, no question about that but it's those times when the roads are dry and clear that they are horrible. I found myself switching out wheels alot because of that. I regret not having gone more expensive and getting something with better dry performance

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"

Bookmarks & Social Networks