Clutch Pedal *BROKEN* Damn ford! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
HomeGroove
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 759
FF Reputation: 1 HomeGroove Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Clutch Pedal *BROKEN* Damn ford!

I have a 2000 Focus (no modifications which I know is the thrust of this site) that has had about every recall done to my car.

I was driving the other night pulling into a parking lot when my clutch pedal sunk to the floor. Luckily, it happened in a parking lot and not on the highway.

Anyway, I reach down to find a bolt broken at it's weld point and some piece of plastic that drives the clutch (Unfortunately, I'm not a gear head...anybody know what I'm talking about?) laying in the floor.

I had to the car towed to a dealer and the car needs a new pedal, new slave cylinder and bleed the clutch system. Total cost: $637.48!!!!

I haven't driven the car hard at all. It's primarily been a to work and back car with a few road trips here and there. We've kept up with routine maintainence. I *know* this isn't from hard clutch use. My wife drives the car mostly (not saying females drive softly, just that she is very careful with the car).

Has this happened to anyone? I've read on-line about break problems and the multiple on-going investigations by the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. (including the engine stall, which I've reported to them as well) but I can't find anything on-line about this problem. I have to think that this shoddy craftsmanship (the weld point breaking on the bolt) wasn't just done to my car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
How many miles? Not that a clutch pedal is supposed to give way at a certain mi. pt. but I'm curious about the need for a new slave cyclinder. BTW, paying $650 for parts and labor on a slave and pedal install is exorbitant. I would have guessed $200 tops.
Here is a link to a web page with which I've had good success. First, there are Ford Techs that answer questions and complaints. They arn't on company time and are free to offer their true opinions. Secondly, you can locate the addresses of some big wigs at corporate and complain. I complined about some trim faults that my dealer didn't want to fix and the result was I was taken care of. Your prob. sounds like it would fall under a "good will" warranty.
Clutch pedals are never supposed to break.

http://flatratetech.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
http://www.blueovalnews.com/

-Homer Simpson
Old 09-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
HomeGroove
Focus Rookie

We have about 66k milage on the car. We went ahead and had the car fixed for $650, but I am going to take your advice. The dealer saved the part, so I'm going to complain to someone.
Between this and all the recalls, this has really left a sour taste in my mouth for the Ford Focus.
I'll keep you posted on my fight to get some money back.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:52 AM   #4
HomeGroove
Focus Rookie

Thumbs down Update

Well, it was $650 and they replaced the entire clutch pedal system. However, when they installed it, they did it wrong. You have to press the clutch all the way to the floor AND THEN push it even further (so it feels like you're breaking the clutch) to get it to start. Also, the clutch feels a lot "looser" than the original factory install (which I guess is expected). I have to take it back to the dealer tomorrow to get this problem fixed.

As for contacting Ford about the problem, I'm going to take picutres of the old clutch and broken bolt (the dealer did save all the parts, which surprised me, and gave them to me) and send off letters to the officials on the link you provided. The saga continues...
Old 10-03-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
CowsGoMoo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
I'm sorry to hear that, definetly take that advice given. Ford should definetly pick up that bill. Gas/Brake and the clutch pedals should NEVER brake, I think it's a DOT requirement for all US cars isn't for the pedal system to be securely connected to the vehicle or something to that nature?

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 10-03-2003, 02:08 PM   #6
HomeGroove
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by CowsGoMoo
I'm sorry to hear that, definetly take that advice given. Ford should definetly pick up that bill. Gas/Brake and the clutch pedals should NEVER brake, I think it's a DOT requirement for all US cars isn't for the pedal system to be securely connected to the vehicle or something to that nature?
Hmm...that's something I'll have to look into. I've posted messages on Flatrate Tech and Blue Oval News (Thanks jake!) so maybe they'll be able to help shed a bit of light on this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks