How do you remove the airbag? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
OneAMRadio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25838
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 OneAMRadio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How do you remove the airbag?

Just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the air bag from the 05 Focus passenger side? I am installing a new dash and need to take the air bag out to swap dash's. Thanks!

-Ryan

2006 Liqued ZX3 Duratec 2.0L (D20) - Steeda STS, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,391, Level 98
Points: 27,391, Level: 98 Points: 27,391, Level: 98 Points: 27,391, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ok.. I haven't done this myself, so I'm writing what I'm reading from a manual. I thought about swapping out to an SVT dash for gauges, but decided that it would be better to put them in the extra DIN slot or the pillar instead since there is no SVT in 05.

First off, whenever working with the SRS... remove the negative terminal from the battery, and also remove the SRS fuse.

Remove the glove box, remove the air duct from the passenger side vent. There is a retaining clip at the main air box in the center of the dash, and then remove the defrost duct pipe in the same manner . You may have already noticed two bolts near the top of the opening which look like they might be holding in airbag module. Remove those nuts and bolts. Next you will need a trim clip tool.... or butcher your dash with a flat head srewdriver to get the cover off the airbag module. There are 3 clips on the back side of the cover which must be removed first. The first clip is just inside the back right side corner, the second clip is about 4 inches towards the center offset closer to the passenger door. The last clip is just inside the far left hand corner. To remove these clips, first locate the exact position, then insert a tool between the cover and the dash and pry straight up.

From my experiences with interiors.. I'd place a rag under the leverage point to keep from scarring the dash. It might be handy to bend an old rounded off flat head in a vise grip for this operation, or purchase a cheapo 8" pry bar. The proper tool is like a prybar, but has a larger head... which is important. It might be available at some larger parts stores, and surely is something you can order. If you break the airbag trim cover, it is probably not a horribly expensive part from Ford since it's commonly replaced- I say that not from knowledge of working at a dealer, but because it looks like the darn thing is going to break no matter how much you know or how much care you take.

OK, back to the clips. Once the 3 back clips are up, and you've decided that you might as well continue since you've come this far the next step is to get out all the other 7 clips on the front of the cover. Fortunately, these are not the same kind of clips as those in the back. To remove the cover, push on the left side (if you haven't already broken those two plastic clips while levering the backs out) and push from the front towards the windshield and pull up all at the same time..... in theory. The two clips remaining on the left side of the cover are just simple plastic hooks, and the remaining 5 holders in the front of the cover are more like slide in sleeves pinch holding the dashboard. Be careful to push the cover towards the windshield BEFORE popping the front up-- unless you've already broken so much that you're going to have to replace the cover anyway, but I'd say you'd probably damage the rest of the dash before you broke the front clips. I'll bet money that the ones on the left hand side don't survive though.

Now that the cover is off.... you should see 4 torx bolts holding the airbag module in the dash. Remove bolts, remove module and bracket, disconnect electrical connectors, and that's it.

I'd be really careful about static electricity around the electrical connections of the airbag module, be sure to wear gloves or ground yourself as soon as you remove it. It is a good idea to cover the connector in electrical tape so that no static electricity accidents occur. DO NOT TAKE THE AIRBAG IN YOUR HOUSE!! AIRBAGS SHOULD BE HANDLED LIKE NITRO-GLYCERINE!!!

By removing the airbag, you have complete and total responsibility for your actions, and in no way by writing this am I advising you to remove your airbag module. I'm merely making suggestions for proper removal if you so intend to perform such an action. Failure to follow proper safety suggestions could result in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Last edited by whynotthinkwhynot; 11-25-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #3
cliff4ever
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8616
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-red ZX3 w/ 2.3PZEV 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 cliff4ever Good Standing Member
A simple question. WHY??? Unless your girlfriend is getting on your nerves and you don't want her to survive a wreck, go for it. Good luck selling it ever again, and don't forget your insurance will go up without a passenger airbag. Man, ..., lol, some peeps.
Mod's checklist: K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla 2.5" cat-back, SVT suspension kit upgrade w/prothane spring isolator and sway bar bushing kit, Focus Central strut tower brace, Steeda short throw w/ Roush shift knob, clear grill turn signals w/PIAA Xtreme White, clear corners w/PIAA Xtreme White, PIAA Xtreme White Plus headlights, Nokya Arctic White fogs, LONG LIVE THE CAMARO 2008!

Best 1/4 mile: 16.19 @86 MPH
Old 11-25-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,391, Level 98
Points: 27,391, Level: 98 Points: 27,391, Level: 98 Points: 27,391, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think he wanted to keep the airbag he has in a new dash he's installing.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Bawkinator
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85576
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Bawkinator Good Standing Member
just hit something at over 5mph. it will remove itself... but be aware both airbags might be removed
~Focus Fo' Life~
Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
Andrew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6565
What I Drive: 08 Caliber SRT4, 05 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 2 Andrew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
yes i know its an old thread but I want to just throw my experiaence out there.

Just did this and im going off memory but pry bottom right corner of airbag cover off working your way left until the whole bottom is free, then there is 2 clips on the left hand side u need to undo with a flathead. from there you gently bend the cover up until u can see the 3 big golden bolts/nuts. dont worry it is metal and WILL bend back to shape i can almost promise. undo the 3 bolts and the cover pops the rest of the way off and from there its as easy as removing some connectors and a few nuts and is all very basic and obvious.

thats all from memory from the other day so sorry if im slightly off
p.s. i eat grammar nazis
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

Points 1,830, Level 25
Points: 1,830, Level: 25 Points: 1,830, Level: 25 Points: 1,830, Level: 25
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 8 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I recently removed the passenger air bag from my '05 ST, to facilitate installation of an SVT dash. It isn't at all as difficult as I was led to believe. The '05 air bag cover on my '05 was very easy to remove. I inserted the edge of a US quarter into the forward seam (closest to the windshield), about 4 inches from the A pillar, and pushed it toward the windshield until I was able to get my finger tips into the gap, and lifted straight up. I did the same for the two remaining front clips, except once the first clip is loose, the rest follow with no tools (US quarter). I continued around the drivers side of the cover, gently pulling up. Once the side clips are out, the rears (closest to the seat) can be released by pulling the cover toward the windshield. My only other comment is that the four fasteners holding the air bag into the dash on my '05 are 7mm bolts, not Torx. Good luck.

Last edited by mainest; 08-26-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: correct info.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.