ST170 Tailight Wiring Diagram - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
havoc7476
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12504
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 havoc7476 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
ST170 Tailight Wiring Diagram

Does anyone have access to an st170 taillight wiring diagram, reason why is that i'm asking is because i'll be doing an st170 conversion on my svt. i'm starting with the rear of the car. i really would like every to work correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
WuNgUnSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15803
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus, '03 Wagon

FF Reputation: 34 WuNgUnSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
While I don't have a wiring diagram, I did however do the exact same mod to my car. I can offer you some tips about what I know...
It seems every model year Focus uses a slightly different wiring layout/harness, so one technique will work for one model, while not work on another...
One technique involves tapping and cutting out the brake light at the rear of the car, sperating the signal from the brake (this didn't work on my SVT)
Another way is cutting into the wiring under the dash to do basically the same thing as the other way...this also did not work on my Focus
What I ended up doing was cutting the wiring completely off at the brake light switch at the pedal, then running a wire to the rear of the car to run the brake lights (the signal lead was switched to the reverse light socket and still functioned normally for signal use)
The downside of this (on my car at least) was that I lost the function where the doors lock automatically upon driving away...
There are 3 or 4 or 5 wires spliced together at the brake pedal. I tired cutting one at a time to seperate the signal from the brake, but no matter what combination I tried, the signal would still come on with the brakes...hence this is why I ran my own wire to the back...
'02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Old 11-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Peterbilt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29126
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 5 Peterbilt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Re: ST170 Tailight Wiring Diagram

Quote:
Originally posted by havoc7476
Does anyone have access to an st170 taillight wiring diagram, reason why is that i'm asking is because i'll be doing an st170 conversion on my svt. i'm starting with the rear of the car. i really would like every to work correctly.
I didn't do an ST170 conversion, but I simply separated the turn signal from the brake signal and made the reverse lights blink. I used a high mount stop light wire to share it with the tail lights. I will attach my video below. If it is what you want to do, I may be able to help you. Since you have the same year Focus, the wiring is probably the same (mine is ZX3).

>> Rear flashers at work <<
Old 11-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Awesome man, I've been curious on how to do that...

So please be kind and Post that Info Up.

That's a Cool mod. Did you change out the bulbs to a yellowish color?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
Peterbilt
Focus Enthusiast

Foci_Fosho, I will put the detailed directions on my website tomorrow or within the next few days. But be aware that your mod will not be legal in California because of the white blinkers (like someone gives a damn). If you want to start on this, go to >> this thread <<

I chose to sacrifice my reverse lights in order to make the new blinkers amber. I will install some cheap thin clear lights next to the license plate soon. At this point, only the right amber tail light (and a front right blinker :)) lights up when I back up.
Amerika, Amerika.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Megaflow
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 29285
What I Drive: 04' Focus , SVT Black

FF Reputation: 1 Megaflow Good Standing Member
Why not just run a wire from each front turn signal to the back and pick up the feed for the 3rd brake light along the way.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Peterbilt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Megaflow
Why not just run a wire from each front turn signal to the back
If you don't mind disassembling the interior frames and stuff, you can do that. I decided that running the wire all the way to the back would be pain in the ass, so I just re-connected the wires as they exit the GEM. Then I reconnected the wires in the back. Except for sharing a mount stop light, I didn't even have to use an additional wire.

Quote:
and pick up the feed for the 3rd brake light along the way.
Yes, sir. That is exactly what I did.

I am very satisfied with my new blinkers because they can be seen from a great distance on the freeway. Plus, I really prefer a clear lens and an amber bulb instead of an all-amber lens. Now, if I see a traffic jam ahead, I can turn on my emergency flashers without confusing other drivers with the red flashing lights..

Bookmarks & Social Networks