Long Crank/Hard Start 2.0L And 2.3L Engine With MTX-75 Transaxle Bulletin - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM   #21
Duratecer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13378
What I Drive: 05 zx3 silver

FF Reputation: 1 Duratecer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I do not have cruise and still get the miss/studder dealer of course did not feel it nor could he dup the discrepancy

05 2.0 I4 ZX3, Silver (Duratec)
03 5.4 V8 E-250 (Work Van)
99 2.5 V6 Contour SE Sport, Red (Duratec)
77 5.0 V8 Mustang, speckled primer (301RWHP/322RWTQ)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #22
jmotank
"Party Pic WHORE"

Fan#: 10320
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 jmotank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
that is the problem, they want to "duplicate" the hicup. this is something that is spiratic and could happen every other day or once every six months. they are reaching to duplicate something that is unpredictable. but don't let them fool you. they certainly know of these issues. i wish it was something that could be resolved soon. one can only hope!!
ST crew #29
team DURATEC #53
MBRP exhaust, SRI, BFG G-Force sports, Steeda STS, painted stock rims, 1 12" diamond audio D6 sub, 3201T audiobahn amp, JVC headunit, Kicker 6X8's, 2 Farad cole cap, FC front strut bar, under body LED kit

Last edited by jmotank; 11-02-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:00 AM   #23
ZX4ST_DFW
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17374
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SE Hatchback Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 1 ZX4ST_DFW Good Standing Member
Well guys and gals, I'm still getting the long start times. I'm seeing my Service Advisor in about an hour anyway. Taking my twin daughter's '02 Foci SE SPI in for a Power Steering pump. I have to let him know that this is still going on and I'll also mention the hiccups to him.

My SA is a very good man and he'll find the fix eventually. He takes pride in getting things right and so does the Service Manager at my dealership. Good example, my dad had a '93 Ranger Supercab w/4.0L V-6, that suddenly developed an big drop in gas mileage. I mean it dropped from 17-19 MPG to 10-11 MPG in city driving. My dad is a light footed driver, so I know it wasn't his driving habits. They researched, tested and tried many solutions and nothing helped for over 6 months. They called in the Ford Maintenance District Rep, he looked at it and took the data back to Ford Hdqtrs. Two weeks later, they came back and installed a new PCM, TPS, and fuel pump. This combination worked, in fact it improved his mileage to 19 MPG city and 28 Highway. I know that is high numbers, but my dad is easy on the pedal. He was 70 at the time. Anyway, this SA and SM are really good and they do take pride in their work.

I'll print up these pages and show him that I am not the only one concerned about this. If I know Clay, he'll have the District Rep contact me personally. Maybe then we can get something done.

Hey, I love my little ST. It is a fun car to drive and I enjoy the power it does have for being bone stock. No mods so far, but they will be coming soon. I have plans to make it into a Autocrosser eventually. I think it'll lots of fun.

By the way, I love the looks and potential of the UK MKII ST. I just it would hurry up and get here.

Later,

ZX4ST_DFW (Dean)
Old 11-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #24
BlacKnight
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23119
What I Drive: 2007 Black F150 STX

FF Reputation: 1 BlacKnight Good Standing Member
I just had this reflash done. Will know tonight how it does.

I sell Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles one piece at a time.

Shadow may be gone, but I am still around from time to time!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:48 AM   #25
EricR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21957
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 EricR Good Standing Member
ZX4ST_DFW and/or BlacKnight,

Any news on this?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:58 AM   #26
ZX4ST_DFW
Focus Enthusiast

Well, I haven't had any real hiccups. But, I found that when my engine is fairly cool, and I shut it off after a short drive, then it does occur. The Hard Starting, that is. I am going back to the dealer on Monday to talk it over with the Service Manager. They genuinely want to get it fixed for me. I also have to pay them for a couple of tires for my daughter's car too. So, yes I need to go there.

I will let everyone know what the outcome is on this.

ZX4ST_DFW
Team Duratec #19
Team Duratec #19
Old 11-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #27
ZX4ST_DFW
Focus Enthusiast

Talked to my Service Advisor and I am taking mine in on Thursday. I work nights, so they'll have it all day to look at. Anyway, I told him of the exact problem and he wrote it all up in the inspection ticket. I also mentioned the hiccup issue and he has heard others talk about it and said it is very hard to duplicate. I told, yea, it only happens every once in a great while, but when it does, it is very noticeable. I told him the Ford Engineering really needs to look at that issue. Because I am not the only one talking about it.

Anyway, I'll let ya'll know when I get it back and have a few days to check it over again.
Team Duratec #19
Old 11-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #28
ZX4ST_DFW
Focus Enthusiast

The Hard Starting actually happens when my engine is fairly cool. In otherwords, when I have driven less than 1.5 miles, shut it off, then come back and try to start it again less than an hour from shut off. If it is 90 minutes or more, it does not happen. If the engine warms up properly and is driven for at least 7 to 10 miles before I shut it off, it does not happen. So, this has to be in the Cold Start area of the ECU/PCM.
Team Duratec #19
Old 11-17-2005, 08:21 PM   #29
ZX4ST_DFW
Focus Enthusiast

Well everyone, I had a nice long talk with the SM, SA and Lead Technician at my dealership today. They reset my PCM to the correct TSB, they used an older one last week, and they noticed that I had an aftermarket (Fram) Oil Filter on my car. A little secret about this, is that the Motorcraft FL-910 filter (OEM) has a check-valve in it to keep the oil pressure up. The oil pressure is used in conjunction with the Fuel System to keep it primed for starting. So, I paid for an oil change. I needed one anyway. So, they told me to drive it for a few days and bring it back in on Monday. They will check it again, to ensure that everything is working fine. I'll let ya'll know, if and when this actually fixed this issue.

EGZ, if you read this, I was wondering if we could check with the manufacturers of the aftermarket filters to see if they have a check valve in their respective filters for the Duratec 2.0/2.3. This may be the cause of our whole issue.
Team Duratec #19
Old 11-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #30
jmotank
"Party Pic WHORE"

Fan#: 10320
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 jmotank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
the thing is IMO that is BS. sounds weird that one specific filter is "special" to our cars. also i had the problem before i ever had my first oil change. so at that time i had the OEM filter on there. that just sounds plain odd to me. but maybe i'm wrong.
ST crew #29
team DURATEC #53
MBRP exhaust, SRI, BFG G-Force sports, Steeda STS, painted stock rims, 1 12" diamond audio D6 sub, 3201T audiobahn amp, JVC headunit, Kicker 6X8's, 2 Farad cole cap, FC front strut bar, under body LED kit

Bookmarks & Social Networks