Long Crank/Hard Start 2.0L And 2.3L Engine With MTX-75 Transaxle Bulletin - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #101
ncfocusracer
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 50601
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 ncfocusracer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am having the long crank issue. Cleaned IAC valve and ran Seaform through again but still have the issue. Someone said it could be a crankshaft position sensor, any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #102
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
There is a ECU flash from Ford that can be done which helps with the extended crank issue.

If the crank position sensor was having issues, you would know about it.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #103
schmagma
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93711
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 schmagma Good Standing Member
wow I can't believe this thread is still running. I have been lurking for awhile with an account that couldn't post but here I am.

I have read the whole thread and it sounds like the jury is still out as to whether or not the ecu flash is fixing this.
I have 65k no problems so nothing swapped. and everything runs great aside of this blasted starting issue.
I learned early about letting the fuel system pressurize(turn the key on for a couple seconds then start)
but this doesn't seem to really be doing the trick anymore. I do that, I will crank for a couple moments, generally get a sputter and die. crank again and idle is very eratic (it wants to die) untill I blip the throttle a little then everything smooths out and is good.
this usually happens if I go across town or something short that it warms up then I shut her down. if I hit the interstate for awhile it doesn't seem to occur. the first start of the day is just fine. this has gotten from occasional to nearly constant.

so is the ecu really fixing this for most. with my car now being out of warranty being there is a tsb on this you think the ford garage would flash for free (doubtful that is why I would like to know if this is working well for most.)

thanks all
Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #104
FR2oh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71822
What I Drive: 07 Silver ZX4. 00 SPI

FF Reputation: 2 FR2oh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
My car had this issue its a 07 ZX4 2.0 until i blew it up then after i replaced the motor i havent had the issue but i have a friend and her car is a 05 ZX4 and sometimes it cranks for 5 seconds before it actually starts, always wondered what that was about lol.
Sedan Revolution Member #222
Best E.T 15.0@90mph, 2.4 60'
Steeda SRI, F2 header, Magnaflow catback, Massive UDP, P/S delete, A/C delete, Eibach 22mm front swaybar, H&R springs, Eibach rear camber kit
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #105
KUEHN8898
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68858
What I Drive: 05 Dark Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 KUEHN8898 Good Standing Member
I have an 05 zx4 same problem. but mine either will crank longer than usual or sometimes ill crank it short (till it should start since im used to my other foci) and it putters and dies than cranks for almost 20 seconds than fires up blows an a$$ load of un burned fuel out the exhaust and then runs fine. no codes or nothing and im not ur weekend tinker guy i know my shit and my dads been a ford master tech for 28 years and hes stumped. doesnt throw codes or nothing. sometimes is ideling and sounds like its missing and is gunna die. i changed plugs and boots didnt efect it whatsoever. all my car has is a cai with 61,000 miles. focis are startin to piss me off been dumpin toooooooo much money into them to keep em running and have zero aftermarket parts besides cai. my 05 needed a trany at 59,000!!!! and ford said they wont even look at it without paying almost 200 bucks which if was their problem to cover would be reimburst. IF!!! sorry to say it but after our family has owned nothing but fords my grandma is a retired ford rep and we owned 4 focis im bout to go buy me a new impala.
05 Focus ZX4 Duratec
06 Ford Fivehundred limited
Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #106
#1fordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83143
What I Drive: 2005 white se zx4

FF Reputation: 3 #1fordfan Good Standing Member
I seem to get better starts from my 05 when I run 93 octane and keep the spark plugs changed frequently. As far as I know,the car has not been to the dealer to have this issue addressed,but it is tolerable when I do the things I mentioned.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #107
desmondg73
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110269
What I Drive: 2005 red zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 desmondg73 Good Standing Member
Mine has the hard start issue almost every time. I dumped a bottle if fuel cleaner in the tank. It didnt do it once for the whole tank. On the next fill up the issue returned just as frequent as before.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #108
toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98863
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 toilet2000 Good Standing Member
I heard it's a design problem, because there's too much air going in at start and too less fuel, making it hard to start. Normally I just crank a little, if it wont start, i just stop, then go again and it starts normally without problem.

Anyway, that's what I heard of
Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #109
Z3T3C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107116
What I Drive: 2000 SE Zetec with ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Z3T3C Good Standing Member
I have a 2.0L Zetec in my 2000, and won't claim to know anything about the newer focuses or duratec engine's. However, I had a similar problem in my car. I had codes for other issues that I took care, but then still had hard starts. Sometimes then engine would stutter and occasionally it would die. I even started a thread and was told it probably wasn't a fuel problem as I thought it may have been. But it did end up being fuel related. It was resolved once I changed the fuel pressure sensor that is bolted into the end of the fuel rail. That is my 2 cents for anyone that is still having issues after the PCM update, a new or clean functioning IAC valve, new spark plugs, good coil, and ground contact points cleaned and redone.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #110
choate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103130
What I Drive: 2006 maroon zx4

FF Reputation: 3 choate Good Standing Member
Mine did this a few times when I first bought it and I read through this. If I get in the car now and turn on the ignition and wait until the chime stops dinging and then start, it's fine. Hasn't occured one time since then. Before, I'd just jump in the car and turn the ignition all the way all at once. 3 or 4 times it would either sputter and die just after starting or just never start and crank and crank until I let off after several seconds.

Moral of story/cure for me was just turn on ignition, find a good song on the radio, then turn car over. Never had a problem since. Good luck all
Team Duratec #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks