How much are you willing to pay for the MK2 Ford Focus ST? - Page 25 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: How much are you willing to pay for the MK2 Ford Focus ST?
$15,000-$17,000 186 6.20%
$17,001-$20,000 256 8.53%
$20,001-$23,000 963 32.10%
$23,001-$26,000 913 30.43%
$26,001-$29,000 218 7.27%
$29,001-$32,000 155 5.17%
$32,001-$35,000 81 2.70%
$35,001-$38,000 56 1.87%
Would not buy it 172 5.73%
Voters: 3000. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2006, 03:14 AM   #241
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I wish I could track down the videos of the Top Gear reviews of the Focus RS and the Focus ST. My point I was trying to make is that few people question the level of performance the Focus RS offered, even if the car was a hassle to drive on poor roads. However, in the review of the RS, it is compared to the WRX and the Civic Type R around their test track with the WRX setting a time of 1:39.xxx, the Civic Type setting a time of 1:38.xxx, and the Focus RS setting a time of 1:34.xxx.

I know the administrator has the Top Gear review on file to download, but I just cannot track it down for some reason.

That's a five second difference between the WRX and the RS. Now if you watch the review of the Focus ST around the same track by the same driver, it made it through the course in 1:34.xxx. It's as fast as the Focus RS, and even more liveable on a daily basis.

http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=1359
Top Gear Focus ST review (you'll have to register, but it's free)
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #242
evenbiggerwinkie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31217
What I Drive: 2005, Imperial Blue ST170

FF Reputation: 1 evenbiggerwinkie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i've just been reading the 'debate' the new mk2 ST has started. ONE question: why on earth is this car being compared to a chrysler/dodge neon of ANY caliber?? a neon, or any american derived product hasn't got, and will never have a patch on this car.

the ST is just too good.

the new ST is without a doubt a weapon (i have driven one, in the horrible electric orange).

i feel that this car will never been seen in the states because most american car buyers don't appreciate a quality product. in america, quality is determined by how good a shine you get from the cheap and nasty plastics used to make the interior combined with the tackiest fake wood trim panels you can find. things that just don't make the grade here in europe.

finally, i also noticed a debate on which came first: the ST170 or the SVT. i'd say ST170 personally, because if i'm not mistaken, the focus was designed and developed in europe and then exported to states. hence why it manages to tackle a corner with composure and ease.

just my 10 cents.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #243
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think a common misconception is thinking about the American ST. This car is essentially a Volvo S40. If this car was a sedan, it would be in the class with cars like the Audi A4. It's a nice car, but here would have a hefty price that not many peeps would want to pay for a "focus".
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 03-29-2006, 12:56 AM   #244
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by evenbiggerwinkie
i've just been reading the 'debate' the new mk2 ST has started. ONE question: why on earth is this car being compared to a chrysler/dodge neon of ANY caliber?? a neon, or any american derived product hasn't got, and will never have a patch on this car.

the ST is just too good.

the new ST is without a doubt a weapon (i have driven one, in the horrible electric orange).

i feel that this car will never been seen in the states because most american car buyers don't appreciate a quality product. in america, quality is determined by how good a shine you get from the cheap and nasty plastics used to make the interior combined with the tackiest fake wood trim panels you can find. things that just don't make the grade here in europe.

You're preaching to the choir...I swear, if it was possible I'd move to Europe in a heartbeat just for the cars (as if there aren't enough reasons to do so otherwise )

Quote:
Originally posted by ilcowil
That's a five second difference between the WRX and the RS. Now if you watch the review of the Focus ST around the same track by the same driver, it made it through the course in 1:34.xxx. It's as fast as the Focus RS, and even more liveable on a daily basis.
That's not surprising, considering the ST is, by all regards, better than the MkI RS. Of course, there are rumors that they're going to make a MkII RS with AWD, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Ford (and its subsidiaries) are seriously behind the curve in light passenger car AWD systems...to the point where someone looking to put some serious money down on a turbocharged AWD car would quickly pass up an AWD RS in favor of something with a proven track record (i.e., WRX, STi, Evo, etc.)

Last edited by SkaAddict; 03-29-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #245
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
I just wanted to make the point that the performance of the Focus ST is astounding even if the power is only being sent to the front wheels. Subaru uses their AWD as a strong selling feature on their cars, and it seems to work well. It's surprising how many people say, "if it had AWD, I would buy it." I don't know if I'd want an AWD system if it meant an additional 300-400lbs on the car. The Evo and STi are pushing 3200lbs, whereas the Focus (I'm not sure if the ST) is coming in at 2700-2800lbs with the RS weighing less if I'm not mistaken.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 04-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #246
chris_watkins87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19354
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 chris_watkins87 Good Standing Member
HOLD ON it has .5 L bigger engine AND its TURBO'd and it only has 225 hp??? wtf u turbocharge an SVT wit toms turbo u can get AT LEAST 250 and thats AT LEASE and its to the wheels this car looks nice as but they need a diff heart under the hood
Old 04-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #247
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Realize that they probably both under-tuned it and misrepresented its power rating so it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to insure. If you get a decent tune I'm sure that car would scream.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #248
3G3clipse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28920
What I Drive: 2002 GS Eclipse

FF Reputation: 1 3G3clipse Good Standing Member
So Im guessing this is Fords answer to the VW R32?...I like it. Im gonna guess it will go fo abou the same amount of $$$ (29-32K)
Old 04-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #249
bonejob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32065
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 9 bonejob Good Standing Member
I would pay VW GTI-level pricing IF it matched VW GTI levels of performance, handling, build quality, interior appointments, overall sophistication and refinement etc. I drove a new 2006 VW GTI recently, equipped with the 200 hp/207 lb/ft turbo four with slick new 6-speed DSG automatic trans (manual box with computer controlled clutch - no traditional torque converter) and found it AWESOME. No, it is not the fastest car one can get for just under 30 grand; Mustang GT lovers in particular will sneer at it. But the car pulls better than many strong V6s, since its peak torque is reached at a low 1850 rpm - no evidence of turbo lag at all. But the seats and interior put the Mustang TO SHAME! The ride and handling balance are phenomenal for a FWD car. Torque steer is well managed, almost non-existent. I'll take it over Mustang live-axle tramp any day. What's more, body panel fit and paint quality is as good as anything I've seen for twice the money. Again, the Mustang GT is just muscle, without much else to recommend it in my opinion.

In Europe, this Focus we are talking about is definitely targeted at the GTI-type customer. It is sold way "upmarket" from the American Focus, with more sound insulation, better quality interior appointments, etc.

What's more, it is an entirely different car from the U.S. Focus. It is built on the Mazda 3-series platform and powered by the Volvo 5-cylinder turbo, neither of which is surprising considering that Ford owns a large chunk of Mazda and owns Volvo lock, stock and lutefisk.

The Mazda 3-series is a solid and capable chassis. I strongly considered buying one, but I just didn't care for the exterior styling nor did I like the low beltline, ass-nearly-on-the-floor, looking-out-of-a-bunker interior proportions.

As for the motor, I haven't driven a Volvo S40 T5, the only car in the U.S. that uses that same motor. It looks on paper to be a more powerful motor than the VW 2.0 liter turbo used in the GTI, with 218 hp and 236 lb/ft of torque at just 1500 rpm. They are close enough, though, that performance differences should just be a matter of power-to-weight ratio I would think. VW has another edge with that slick new transmission; it shifts quicker and gets better fuel economy than a straight manual box.

My problem is with 5-cylinder motors. I just don't generally like them. I drove VW's 5-cylinder Jetta (it is one half of a Maserati V-10 - Maserati is owned by VW) and did like some things about it. It is a base-level engine and is clearly built not for horsepower but for bottom-end torque (150 hp, 170 lb/ft). The engine is smooth, but still has kind of an agricultural-sounding idle and a definitely coarse rasp when wound up on the tach. The sound is subdued, because VW padded the hell out of the hood and firewall to dampen it, and on the whole is a more pleasant engine than say, GM's nasty and grinding Ecotec four. But inline fives have "that sound" that one either likes or doesn't. The only other fives I have experienced are the old 80's Audi 5000 and the early 90's Acura Vigor, both of which exhibited "that sound" also. So, the Ford Focus MkII ST would have to be pretty special for me to overlook that one fault that just happens to be a particularly irritating one to me.

The Mazda-built Duratec 2.0 liter in my 2006 Focus just sings, as do most Honda and Toyota fours as well. That was a major selling point to me. I overlooked some of what I consider Ford Focus shortcomings just because I loved the sound of the motor and the feel of the slick manual gearbox. I also loved my 2000 VW Jetta VR6 for the same reason. That six-cylinder sounded like Mozart to me. I also particularly love the sound of a well-tuned old Ford flathead V-8, a Corvette-tuned Chevy small block, and any BMW inline six.

I can't explain it. But when I start any car, the motor's sound either makes me smile or it makes me wince. If I wince, I don't care how fast it is, how otherwise good the car is, if the motor is a grinder, I will quickly get tired of it. For another recent example, I drove a Chevy Cobalt SS (210 hp turbo four). The car went like hell and had thrilling moves, but the sounds from under the hood just set my teeth on edge. It was a deal breaker.

So while the Mk II Focus looks fabulous on paper I would have to reserve my enthusiasm until I drove it.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #250
nystyles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 910
What I Drive: 2000 ford focus se 2.0 ztec

FF Reputation: 1 nystyles Good Standing Member
well i have to say its a gorgous focus but i think that the extra weight for that awd would help the whole shot and also help buyer pick it over its rivels as long as they where to keep it around 20,000 i think that car companys are finally starting to see what the buyers want a cheap fast car that lasts and as long as they meet that the car will sell i also think that it should be tuned up a lil. i mean they already have the awd s40 volvo its not like the technologie is not there for them to use. i like the car but ford needs to steep up its leaving us behind and laying down to all these other companys i love my focus but i will not buy another if it can't out do a 20000 dollar "neon"!!!!! (srt-4)
and full N-1 touch screen navigation

Bookmarks & Social Networks