How much are you willing to pay for the MK2 Ford Focus ST? - Page 19 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: How much are you willing to pay for the MK2 Ford Focus ST?
$15,000-$17,000 186 6.20%
$17,001-$20,000 256 8.53%
$20,001-$23,000 963 32.10%
$23,001-$26,000 913 30.43%
$26,001-$29,000 218 7.27%
$29,001-$32,000 155 5.17%
$32,001-$35,000 81 2.70%
$35,001-$38,000 56 1.87%
Would not buy it 172 5.73%
Voters: 3000. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 AM   #181
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Maybe that'll change with the new director of Ford. Let me give you the link if you haven't seen already.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=69812
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 12:31 AM   #182
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
^
Yeah, its promising but not for the present or immediate future. If we see any major changes in the Focus line, it'll probably be Ford bringing over the TDC or TDCi diesel engines and putting them in an '05+ body. We aren't going to be seeing a C1 platform Focus any time soon, if indeed we ever do since two of Ford's brands (Mazda and Volvo) both sell C1 platform cars in the 3 and the S40.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:38 AM   #183
beuoy1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18677
What I Drive: 05 IR ZX4 ST, 06 Altima 3.5 SE

FF Reputation: 1 beuoy1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Let me start by asking what is wrong with the current Focus here in the US, and what lead you to buy one in the first place?I've noticed alot of people saying they want more HP, AWD or RWD and FI.
Honestly I like my Focus, inside and out. And before I bought it I did alot of testing driving of different brands and makes. As I suspect alot of you did. Personally I'm a Nissan fan but the Focus out peformed Nissan in the same price range and size ( my opinion). I believe I got the best value for my money.
Second, Ford doesn't remove vehicles from the line because they out perform Mustangs, they are targeted at two different customer bases. Case in point, did you go to the dealer looking to buy a Mustang and drive home in a Focus? Also the V6 version of the Fusion produces more power than the V6 version of the Mustang, why is this? Wouldn't that be a threat to the base model of the Mustang which is the best selling version currently. Models compete against other brands in the same class, and this is where Ford lags behind. Their focus has been on trucks and SUV's. Which brings me to my final point.
It's not Ford that refuses to bring new models to the U.S. but the people buying the vehicles!

Remember this is just my opinion, and isn't fact in anyway!!
Old 01-01-2006, 04:10 AM   #184
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

^
Basically, the problem is the Focus is little different from the rest of the compact 4-cylinders being sold domestically. If you just want the same car that comes in a different box, the Focus at this point is obviously the car for you. The second-"generation" US Focus isn't all that much different from the first, at least in terms of body, appearance, chassis and so on. Yes, the engine is slightly better, but they removed the asethetically-pleasing interior and replaced it with a cheap, squared-off dull looking one. They basically took the original Focus and stripped it of all personality, raised the front fenders and changed the front grille. Not really enough to call it a second-generation IMO; they didn't really improve on anything except for the engine.

Some of us don't like the prospect of having the option with the Focus of buying the "performance" version that isn't much different from an '00-'04 model with a few bolt-ons. Calling the current "ST" model an ST is a joke...versus the regular versions, all you get is another third of a liter in engine displacement, the same gearing that came on all '00-'04 models (3.82:1 FD ratio) and SVT struts and rear disc brakes. Sure, there's apperance and interior differences, but it really doesn't warrant the "ST" title. Look over in Europe, and their ST comes with a 5-cylinder turbocharged engine with a 6-speed transmission and a bunch of other goodies built on the C1 chassis. Its a bitter pill to swallow when the product could be sold here, but it isn't because Ford is protecting their flagship product. To say that there's no market here or that people wouldn't buy a turbo Focus is BS...if that was true, then why is Mitsubishi, Subaru, Dodge, Chevy, Volvo and several other auto makers able to sell performance forced-induction compacts at a profit? Ford could easily do the same thing Subaru and Mitsubishi have done for years...use their successes in the WRC as a selling point.

And that's what it really boils down to...Ford will never build a production car that could threaten the Mustang off the lot. Sure, the V6 Fusion might beat out the V6 Mustang, but is there a V8 version of the Fusion that beats the Mustang GT? Or will there be a supercharged V8 version that beats out the Mustang SVT when it comes back? Now you begin to see the bigger picture...sure, they turn out plenty of cars that beat the base model...hell, in the previous generation of each car, a Zetec Focus was a pretty even match for a V6 Mustang just on power-weight ratios, but they aren't really concerned with that. They aren't going to point to the base model and say "this is the best vehicle that we sell here." That's currently reserved to the GT, and (assuming they bring it back) will go to the SVT. A turbo Focus would be a very attractive option vs. the GT/SVT because it outhandles the Mustang and (at least in the GTs case) has a very similar power/weight ratio.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #185
Oni
Oh yeah!

With the possibility of the WRC coming to New York, there might be a change in tune around the Focus if... IF it survives that long and the WRC does actually arrive.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 01-02-2006, 12:18 AM   #186
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

I don't doubt that this change at Ford can be good news, but its not going to come to fruition for some time. Several things will have to happen for Ford to bring back a true performance Focus on the same level (or better than) the SVTF; first off, they're going to have to make a major recovery from the current slump they're in. Then they'll have to pull their heads out of their asses and realize that the glory days of the muscle car have come and gone and the market isn't responding well to big-engine gas guzzler cars. After that they'll need to see that yes, there is a market for a performance compact and that's why the same list of auto makers I referenced earlier have been selling such cars at a profit for at least a decade. There's far more hope now than there was when they released the '05 model year, but its still pretty bleak. I wouldn't think that we'll be hearing any major announcements concerning the return of the SVT Focus (or whatever they choose to label the next performance Focus), assuming there is one, for at least three years.

Although I'm not saying that Ford bringing the TDCi engine over and putting it in the '05 body would be a bad thing...hell, I'd jump all over that; as a field technician I'd love to have a car that routinely averages 35 MPG during mixed driving. Like someone was saying in that other thread, if Ford did that they could easily knock the hybrids down a notch and actually compete with Toyota and Honda in the highly-efficent vehicle market.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #187
Oni
Oh yeah!

I don't really think Ford of American is living so much in the glory days. I just don't think they have good market appeal to their targeted buyers or their cars are a little too broad in appeal that it actually loses appeal. Don't they have the number one selling truck (for quite some time now if I'm not mistaken), the F-150?

There's really not a market for European cars here, especially high performance compacts (I think we're running in circles with one another now). While some companies can take a hit for low sales or actually sell a vehicle that doesn't require a long list of warranty repairs, Ford just isn't in a state to take a risk like that when they more than likely have more promising ventures to take first.

The reason I pointed out the WRC is because it provides strong recognition for the Focus as a performance vehicle. If the WRC does actually make it here, it'll be something I'm sure Ford will consider for the image of the car for sales. I just don't expect anything for several years to come. For some reason (just a feeling), I do not suspect SVT will touch the Focus again. But do we want the efficient engine, or do we want the chassis?

beuoy1, the person I purchased my SVT from got out of his car to get into a new Mustang. The common person isn't drawn to the Focus in any of its performance variants due to its driving dynamics prior to test drive, so to the majority of consumers, it's a vanity void they're trying to fill.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 01-02-2006, 03:48 AM   #188
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ilcowil
I don't really think Ford of American is living so much in the glory days. I just don't think they have good market appeal to their targeted buyers or their cars are a little too broad in appeal that it actually loses appeal. Don't they have the number one selling truck (for quite some time now if I'm not mistaken), the F-150?

There's really not a market for European cars here, especially high performance compacts (I think we're running in circles with one another now). While some companies can take a hit for low sales or actually sell a vehicle that doesn't require a long list of warranty repairs, Ford just isn't in a state to take a risk like that when they more than likely have more promising ventures to take first.

The reason I pointed out the WRC is because it provides strong recognition for the Focus as a performance vehicle. If the WRC does actually make it here, it'll be something I'm sure Ford will consider for the image of the car for sales. I just don't expect anything for several years to come. For some reason (just a feeling), I do not suspect SVT will touch the Focus again. But do we want the efficient engine, or do we want the chassis?

beuoy1, the person I purchased my SVT from got out of his car to get into a new Mustang. The common person isn't drawn to the Focus in any of its performance variants due to its driving dynamics prior to test drive, so to the majority of consumers, it's a vanity void they're trying to fill.
Yes, they have the #1 selling trucks, but the truck/SUV market has proven to be very problematic, especially with gas prices spiking above $3/gallon. Think back to the summer when all of the discount used lots were choked with trucks and SUVs, traded in by drivers who were facing spending $60+ to fill up the tank. And I don't think that they're living in the glory days either, but they need to realize that big-power V8 cars aren't going to pay the bills anymore. The trend has been moving steadily towards smaller, lighter, fuel efficent cars for the past two decades. Ford could make a killing with a TDCi Focus...why not bring it over? Because its sales would eclipse their flagship car? I fully believe that Ford would go into bankruptcy as long as by doing so they keep the Mustang up on the pedestal they've placed it on.

I understand that Ford is in dire financial straights. That's why I said its going to be a few years before we even hear news of plans for a future performance Focus, if that even happens. As far as having the efficent engine or the C1 platform...I'd like to see both, but realistically the best we'll be able to hope for is the diesel engine. I likewise doubt that the next hypothetical performance Focus will get an SVT label, especially since there's been talk of axing SVT altogether. Its more likely they'll put the ST tag on a car that's far more deserving than the current lackluster model. I'm firmly convinced that there is a market for performance compacts here in the 'states...mainly because I refuse to believe that all of the other companies who have been selling them since the mid-90's have been doing so at a loss for nearly a decade. And its not like Ford had any problems moving the SVTF off the lots, to the contrary it seems like they couldn't build them fast enough to keep them on the lots. Almost every time I saw a dealer with one out in front or in the showroom, it would sell within a week or two...the market's definitely there, Ford just needs to ditch the over-protective nature of keeping a 40+ year old car at the top of the sales charts just because it represents the good times for them.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:36 AM   #189
Oni
Oh yeah!

I guess it depends where you live. The guy I autocross with on here, SteelRain, picked up his 2004 SVT off the lot as a new model that was clearanced for the upcoming 2005 year ($16k for an SVT new - can't beat that). The market's probably a little different here in Oklahoma where truck and SUV sale still don't seem to be taking that big of a toll in sales right now. However, I'm certain it has more people thinking about their financial state and vehicle purchases with a little more caution in mind on what type of vehicle to get. Base model compacts are like a dime a dozen around here just like trucks and SUVs are. Sport compacts are a little bit more rare of a breed - not many on the lots and few on the road. I just can't say for certain how Ford's sales stack up nationally, but I know from my region, there's not as much demand for sport compacts.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 01-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #190
beuoy1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18677
What I Drive: 05 IR ZX4 ST, 06 Altima 3.5 SE

FF Reputation: 1 beuoy1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Since we're all guessing about the future, all I can really say is I hope Ford gets it's act to gather and makes the Focus a contender on all levels.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.