"How To" - Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #81
icebrain
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61244
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 icebrain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrain View Post
I have a problem... one of those little clips popped off as I was trying to push it in (securing the bottom hose) and now it's lost. I don't have a replacement for it, either

Is this a common item, or must it be ordered from a dealership?
Nevermind, I found the clip... but how in the name of all that is holy do I get the stupid hoses connected again? If I try to put the hose in and then fit the clip, the stupid clip flies off and I spend five minutes looking for it. If I put the clip in first, and then try to connect the hose, I can't push it in all the way. I've now spent an hour and a half trying to reconnect the stupid thing, and it isn't working yet.
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #82
stivo
Hiyadoin'

Fan#: 48389
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT, EAP #1440

FF Reputation: 9 stivo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
no, put the hose on first, then put the in the clips. use a pair of needle nose pliers to get the clip in place...

it's a tight fit for sure. SVTdubber said he had an easy time with this job... but he disassembled half of his front ent! this is a sucky job for sure.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #83
Draven10785
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64986
What I Drive: 2002 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Draven10785 Good Standing Member
Angry Full/partial repair/replacement -- Clutch linkage

I have an 02 ZX3 that yesterday I had some issues with the clutch that has left my car parked at my parents house.

The metal pin that is in the top of the actual clutch pedal decided it wanted to breatk the weld. When that happened it snapped, not sure what to call it, the white piece that leads into the master clutch cylinder.

Is this something that can be repaired without taking the entire cylinder out, or is that a must? I know I can just get my car to my shop where I work and can get the metal pin tack welded back into place, its the cylinder that I am worried about. I don't have the time to do it myself right now nor the extra cash to take it in. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This has me running in cirlces and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #84
TheMac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41499
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver 5 Door SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TheMac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Son of a B[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*

Wow was this a PITA... Swapped my leaky CMC today, all in all took about 6 hours, although a good portion of that was redoing what I had already done, or running to Harbor Freight for tools.

Couple of Notes:

READ THIS THREAD, there is a ton of good info in here.. I came back and looked at it about 4 times today while working on my car.

I have big hands, so when I took the fender liner out, I couldn't get a good enough grip on the male hyrdo lines to snap them into place. Had to removed in the intake and fuse box.

Have a helper, my girlfriend lent a hand, her hands were small enough to snap in the retaining clips to the in and out hydo lines on the CMC. She was able to pump the clutch pedal while I worked the bleeder also.

When you install the new CMC, leave the retaining clips snapped in place, I made the mistake of thinking I could install them after, I realized (after much swearing) that in place the male hyrdo lines snapped into place when they were there.. I was trying to hold them in place and snap them in.. (well I wasn't my girlfriend was..)

Unbolt the pedal assembly, makes life much easier, I tried trying to get the old CMC off with just unbolting it from the assembly and removed the clutch pedal.... the old CMC snapped trying to get it out...

As far as bleeding, we just filled the reserve, and my girlfriend pumped the pedal, it took awhile but bubbles came out, and it slowly filled the CMC. Also used a pressure bleeder from harbor freight.. I would bench bleed it before hand if I was going to do it again... We finally got the clutch feeling right, and it works great.. although I don't feel great about the bleed.. I will probably go back and re-bleed it.

Take a pillow, put it in a garbage bag, and use that to cushion your back while you are pinched between the dash and seat.. I found it was great to have between my 6'2" frame and door sill.

Also get a 10MM gear wrench, or ratchet wrench.. you will need it to remove the CMC from the pedal assembly, unless you want to be masochistic to like me and use a 10MM opened ended wrench and ton of swear words.

Special tools used:

13MM DEEP socket, with two extensions to get to the top left bolt holding the pedal assembly to the firewall.

Pressure bleeder from Harbor Freight, (called a "one man bleeder") seemed to get fluid into the CMC pretty quickly.. although after using it I bled it using the "pump pump, bleed" method.

12 Pack of Miller Lite.. enough said.

While I hope I never have to do this repair again, I am glad I did it myself.. I really don't want to know what the stealership would quote for it..

Thanks for everyone posting their notes and experiences on this thread, it made this job alot easier..
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #85
toeycrack
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 38332
What I Drive: 03 zx3, name "TRISH"

FF Reputation: 9 toeycrack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
^^^ what a time huh? I’m currently in the process of doing this. I start today only because my car won't shift into any gear. Its goes in but there isn't any Tq or any power transferred to the wheels.

I got the pedal bracket plate bolts off; I’m waiting to remove the 4 lines from the CMC tomorrow and along with the 2 lines with that dam clip.

As for bleeding, I have the Russell speed bleeder nipples for my front calipers. They work like magic when I was replacing my lines with the Russell steel lines. Just get something to catch the flying liquid and that is deff a 1 man job!

Wish my luck tomorrow because I believe I will be swearing to the squirrels
Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #86
toeycrack
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 38332
What I Drive: 03 zx3, name "TRISH"

FF Reputation: 9 toeycrack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
The pipe/hose that comes from the main Reservoir to the clutch master reservoir... well the other side of the hose that clips to the CMC reservoir, it doesn't stay clipped in. I can get that bastard on but when I pull back, it pops off. I tried this with the old one and it doesn't pop off.

will i need to replace this again with another unit?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #87
christ0287
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35226
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 christ0287 Good Standing Member
I'm going to be doing this this weekend, seeing as my clutch pedal is kinda slippery, but I worry about getting air in the brake lines by sucking the fluid out of the resevoir. It's already cold, I don't want to have to spend extra time bleeding all my brakes too. I guessing this isn't something I need to worry about seeing as no one said they had any problems, but I thought I'd bring it up
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #88
racer1735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13782
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 racer1735 Good Standing Member
maybe a dumb question, but how does the underhood fuse box unclip from the firewall? I've learned the hard way that Ford plastics don't take to experimental pulling...things snap easily.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #89
christ0287
Focus Enthusiast

I haven't done it yet, but when looking at it, it looked like there was a bolt on the left side of the fuse box on the firewall, and then there is a plastic clip that attached to some metal protruding from the strut mount. I'd be really careful with the plastic clip if it's cold there... it will be even more brittle than usual.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #90
christ0287
Focus Enthusiast

i just did this. It took a good 4 hours maybe? I work slow. Things to note:
1. I needed a 7mm socket to remove the fuse box screw.
2. I had to remove the battery and battery box to have somewhere to put the fuse box.
3. Put your foot on the brake or take it out of gear before you start the car up after changing the CMC, almost had a big oops.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.