"How To" - Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #41
tua03332
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37555
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 tua03332 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the tubing i was referring to was spare tubing used to hook to the bleeder valve. I didnt lose all the much fluid, but I will still need to bleed it and was wondering if there is a way to do it without a bleeder kit or by making a mess?
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #42
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The service manual (Ford 02-04) says some focus models require a bleeder pump to get the air out of the system. The one we are discussing is not one of those, and I got mine bled using the normal pedal down, pedal up method. I did not pre-fill the new master cylinder on the bench, which would probably have made bleeding easier, because I didn't want fluid dripping all over the interior while I was installing it. I had a bit more trouble getting it bled than some cars I've done, but it worked out OK. The location of the bleeder screw made it hard to put a box end wrench on it, which is the normal arrangement, and the one that works well with a clear extension hose. I ended up using a socket on an extension to work the valve, and the fluid puddled up a bit, but it did not seem to go all over the place too bad. Brake fluid is water soluble, and I just hosed it all off when I was done.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #43
tua03332
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37555
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 tua03332 Good Standing Member
so basically push pedal, open it, let it drip all over the place, and then close it, repeat til finished, hose done engine compartment? sounds easy enough, thanks bud
Old 10-07-2007, 12:41 AM   #44
Ecko200X
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31440
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT (EAP)

FF Reputation: 30 Ecko200X Great Standing Member
Does Anyone Know Of Any After Market MC? Or In Usual Fashion, Is Ford The Only Place?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 AM   #45
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Fan#: 18440
What I Drive: Audi S4, Turbo ZX3

Points 20,772, Level 90
Points: 20,772, Level: 90 Points: 20,772, Level: 90 Points: 20,772, Level: 90
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 23 starfuryt550 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (57)
so i was attempting to do this replacement yesterday, and ran into a couple problems. after taking like 6 hours, everything was done. i replaced everything and was expecting it all to start up. BUT...

...when i push the clutch, it feels dead, there is no power behind it. the car wont go into any gears either.

is it possible that a line is not perfectly closed and its not creating a vacuum? or any suggestions? thanksss
Old 10-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #46
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
If the pedal doesn't seem to be doing anything when you press it down, there is still probably air in the master cylinder or the high pressure line. If the clutch isn't releasing, the lever will not put the transmission into the forward gears when the motor is running, and it will grind trying to go into reverse
Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #47
kettle-one
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22664
What I Drive: Magnum R/T for sale

FF Reputation: 1 kettle-one Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfuryt550 View Post
is it possible that a line is not perfectly closed and its not creating a vacuum? or any suggestions? thanksss
You'd hear it sucking or pushing air as you pumped it up to prime. Did you get blead out yet? I used a cheap bleeder bottle setup form autozone, worked good, had it blead it 10 minuets.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #48
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Fan#: 18440
What I Drive: Audi S4, Turbo ZX3

Points 20,772, Level 90
Points: 20,772, Level: 90 Points: 20,772, Level: 90 Points: 20,772, Level: 90
Level Up 85% Completed
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 23 starfuryt550 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (57)
Okay i got it fixed! i had to bleed it better, there was still air in the system.

But I had to disconnect the lower line (the second metal one) coming from the master cylinder, from the transmission. It becomes rubber and you can bend it a little lower. I used that to bleed the system using the method of "thumb off, press pedal. Thumb on, lift pedal" and it worked magic!!

Last edited by starfuryt550; 10-29-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: i suck at writing.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #49
gtcars2006
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51223
What I Drive: ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 gtcars2006 Good Standing Member
Urgent help!!!!!

Ok, the master cylinder ( crap) broke on me so the fluid cm out when I was driving. I managed to tow the car to my house Now, I replaced the master cylinder from inside the car and we bleed the system ( Including the brakes).
This is a 2005 4 door focus with the 2.0 engine manual.
The clutch pedal is still going to the floor, I am not able to start the car since the pedal doesn't depress to the point were the clutch's safety switch will tell the computer that it is ok to start. But if I depress the switch manually I can start the car but can not engage the gears. When the car is not running I could switch gears.
I bleed the system from the slave cylinder and then from the brake calipers. Gosh! am I doing something wrong?
I got several versions one from Pepboys and another one from the dealer including that I need a new tranny...
could the slave or clutch been damage when the master fluid spilled over? If the slave cylinder or bearing is bad, when I start the car shouldn't I be able to hear a noise or something? TTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAANNNNNKSSS!!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #50
gtcars2006
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51223
What I Drive: ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 gtcars2006 Good Standing Member
How about changing the other part on the engine compartment? is that a brake booster? the one that the master cylinder attaches to...
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.