How-To: Wire SVT intake manifold runner control - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 PM   #1
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How-To: Wire SVT intake manifold runner control

ok, since a few of you have gone and installed SVT intakes on your zetec's but are having a little trouble getting it wired to work right, I thought I'd put together a how to on the wiring. I don't have any pictures for you yet, as soon as I make a pic of the wiring diagram I came up with I'll post it, but for now, you're stuck with a text only description of how to do it.

first of all, you need to make sure that you have either the pigtail harness from the vehicle that you got the intake from (should be a six pin connector, though it should only have 5 wires coming from it) or a replacement pigtain harness which you can order from your parts counter (sorry, I couldn't find the part number, you're on your own for that). you don't have to use a relay for this, but I would recommend, because you don't ALWAYS need power running to your IMRC module. ok, here we go.

you will need a few parts to make this all work. you will need a 5 pin relay (not required but highly recommended), an MSD RPM activated switch (part #8950, does not have to be a "window" switch), and an MSD tach driver (part #8913). grab some connectors, crimpers, heat shrink, electrical tape, whatever your preferred method of joining the wires is.

start with a simple 5 pin relay. find the two "coil side" terminals, ground one to chassis, and wire the other one to a power source that is hot in run/start (ie the green/blue wire that supplies power to your ignition coil). you don't have to use the wire I just indicated, any "hot in run/start" wire will work. now find the "switch side" terminals on the relay. connect one to a power source (fused, 10 amp ought to do), and connect the switched output to the green/white wire on the IMRC pigtail harness (should be Pin #2). you're done wiring the relay.

next we have the MSD RPM activated switch (part #8950). it is a 5 wire switch, but we will not be using the gray wire. connect the red wire of the RPM switch to a switched (run/start) power source. this can be the same switched source used when wiring the relay. ground the black wire to chassis. connect the yellow wire to the black/white wire on the IMRC pigtain harness (Pin #1). be careful to get the right wire, because both pins 1 and 3 are black/white. make sure you hook it to pin #1. the white wire will be spliced into the gray wire from the tach driver in the next step.

now grab your MSD tach driver (part #8913). connect the gray wire to the white wire from the RPM switch. ground the black wire. now find the green/blue wire that plugs into your ignition coil. you will be cutting this wire and splicing the tach driver inline with it, so make sure you have enough room to strip the end of the wire and crimp down on it with a connector. connect the red/green wire of the tach driver to the green/blue wire going into the ignition coil. connect the red wire of the tach driver to the green/blue that goes back to the fuse box. if this is confusing to you, wait until tomorrow night, I'll have a diagram up for you to look at.

you now only have two more connections to make, but you have to know whether your IMRC module is from a 2002, or 2003-04 (I think the 03 and 04 are the same, but I'm not sure. the 02 is different from the 03 though). if you are using a 2002 IMRC module, ground the black/white wire from pin #3, and also ground the black/blue wire from pin #6. if you have a 2003 (and 2004, I think) module, ground the black/white from pin #3, and ground the black/blue from pin #5.

start you car up, and your IMRC should, if you've made all the connections properly, pull your intake into the long runner position. go put your car on the dyno to find the optimum rpm to switch runners, and install the appropriate RPM pill into the MSD RPM activated switch. happy driving!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

ok, here's the diagram, I spent a bit of time on ford's professional technician society website viewing the SVT wiring diagrams, and on MSD's website checking out their diagrams for how to wire up the RPM switch and Tach driver. just remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal while you're wiring everything, wouldn't want to jolt yourself.

this is on imagestation, I know it won't work for some people, and it will for others, so I'm gonna try to post the pic and the link to it...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...4/f1bc9b53.jpg
Old 10-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
hEaT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20699
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus ST

FF Reputation: 11 hEaT Great Standing Member
Yea, it's not working here for me, but nice writeup. Try www.imageshack.us

I'm guessing with the SVT intake mani the car is going to keep making power past 5k/5500 rpm now?
ZETEC Crew #49

Quote:
Originally posted by DrkKnight614
......hmm if that works then if i put a spinner on my butt hole and rip one will i be able to run faster. ...idiots
Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

it will make power wherever your mods are allowing it to make power. the svt manifold is able to support the airflow requirements for a high output 4 cyl that revs past 7k rpms, so as long as your mods support tq/power production that high, it can certainly help. where the manifold switches runners will have to be determined by dyno runs and changing the rpm pill in the rpm switch. you ought to be able to do it in 2 runs, first run in long runner position, second run in short runner position. find the spot where the graphs intersect, that should be your optimum switchover point

Bookmarks & Social Networks