Got the air horns installed! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
FocusOhFive
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21965
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOhFive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Got the air horns installed!

Air horns are now complete and installed on the Focus. I had them installed at an accessories shop. It took 2 hours to do. I was a bit nevous going into it because the guys working on it hadn't done this to a Focus before and weren't sure how it would work.

About 20 minutes into it they brought me in the back room and my car's eye (headlight) was taken out lol along with the lower splash guard and grille...I have never seen her that way before. It amazed me of her capabilities. lol Anyway they showed me it would not fit under the driver's side headlight, it was too cramped.

They then brought me back about an hour or so later to show where they mounted them... They mounted them on the driver's side, completely face down, right above the splash guard. The guys said it was NOT FUN putting them in, and I believe it. One of the guys even said, in order to change my air filter, the driver's side headlight would have to come off. Is this true?

I kept peeking in the back when the door would open and close, to see if I could get a glimpse of what was going on. Once I heard them test the air horns from the shop, I knew it was her working!! A little later I heard the stock horn, and it started to worry me. I thought maybe they couldn't get the connections right. But then, a while later- air horn sounds. She was finished and ready to drive off.

I asked the guy what they actually did, and he said they just used the air horns and no stock horn. They used something called an "in-line fuse" so incase something happens to the wires, it won't short out everything. Could I get some more explanation on that?? I made sure that where the horns were positioned that they would not get wet from the weather, or puddles, and he reassured me they won't. Also he said something about a 20 AMP something or another that they put near the battery box. Someone care to explain more? lol

I paid around $90 to do this and IMO it was worth it. It seems too advanced for my skill level. I'm just glad it all worked out. I'll try to rig up a sound clip as soon as I get the time.

edit: A customer who heard the air horns sound was like "a dump truck?" lol until I told him it was my car. haha.

Also, since the stock horn was disconnected, I tried testing the alarm on my remote. I pressed the alarm button, it paused for a second, then was loud as ever. I think I may have scared some folks in the parking lot. lol.

So yes, air horns sound when I press the remote lock button 2x, and also as the alarm function.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
An 'inline' fuse is a fuse on the POWER (RED) POSITIVE wire basically run 'inline' with the fuse..... sorta look like this......

---------this is the wire----------inline fuse----------battery terminal

The power wire is run into the fuse block then out and continues to the battery or place where the power is being tapped into. When they said a 20 AMP they were talking about the inline fuse which is the 'fuse' they used for your setup.

The picture below is of a common inline fuse setup and are normally places within 18" of the battery terminal (if I remember that length correctly).

The fuse goes INSIDE that black housing on there.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
FocusOhFive
Focus Addict

Looking underneath the car, in front of the driver's side wheel:

I only see one, I can't tell where the other one is. But they were both there when the guys let me look at it...

Visible from peering into the hood. Only one though. Don't know where the other is.

I hope they were put in right!!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Toolman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27202
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3,Egg Yolk Yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Toolman Good Standing Member
Dude that's awesome. I don't know who made the stupid rule to make horns match the size of the car. With a stereo thumping, one can't even hear some pipsqueek horns they put on some cars. And when I honk the horn at someone, on the rare occasions that I deem such necessary - I want them to HEAR it, dangit! And what fun it would be to startle the hell outa someone, after they make a rude move on the road - and have them think there's an 18 wheeler in their blindspot. LOL!
Team Duratec #20, ATX Faction #11
Enkei wheels,HPS Intake, Ported TB, Tein S Tech springs,SVT shocks,Billet Grills,Debadged,Custom Exhaust,Black Headlights,tinted tails & markers,12" Polk GNX124 Sub, Polk db571 front speakers, Panasonic HU.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
W~Phoenix~{RC}
FF Bouncer

Fan#: 11450
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost Sport Edition ATX

FF Reputation: 1 W~Phoenix~{RC} Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Congrats on the install. It's good to see that you have that taken care of now

Cheers!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
KS1SVT04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6403
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT 3 Dr w/euro package 2006 Ford F-150 Super Crew

FF Reputation: 1 KS1SVT04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I did the same thing about 3 weeks ago. I did it myself in about 30 minutes (cost me about $25). I love the sound (119 decibals) and the peoples reaction when I hit it (the horn that is).
#966 out of 1978
Old 10-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
S2
Retired Fanatic

Are you guys wiring them up to the steering wheel horn activation or via a switch? Do you know how many wires are run out of the stock horn? Assuming ground, positive and a trigger or just two wires?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
FocusOhFive
Focus Addict

Mine doesn't have a switch.... Ahh this is so awesome. All I can think about is my air horns. lol!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I like that idea of loud horns to really let people know whne they screw up on the road. I always thought it would be funny if u could mount one of the horns from a ocean freighter or ferry in the back of a pickup truck. hehe, It would be so loud, the other drivers would probably have to change there pants.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
S2
Retired Fanatic

I wonder if there are any 'laws' to this, assuming not since semi's have them but I wonder what would happen 'legally' if you slammed on the air horns and caused someone directly to have an accident?

Bookmarks & Social Networks