Coolant leak, need help identifying part - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
svt pwr 02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1055
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 02

FF Reputation: 1 svt pwr 02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Coolant leak, need help identifying part

The dealer claimed they could not find any leak. It drips a drop every 10 seconds, it wasn't hard to locate. (Boneheads.)

It's coming from a part that is on the bottom of what I think is the thermostat housing. If I had to guess I'd say it's a pressure relief, although I've never seen anything like it on a car before.

Can anyone identify this for me?
Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa150030.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	7246  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
Cooter13WNY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21745
What I Drive: 2004 WRB STi

FF Reputation: 4 Cooter13WNY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That is the thermostat housing.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yeah, you need a new thermostat housing. there is no pressure relief on there. that metal plug is there because on older zetec engines there was a sensor there. ford saw no reason to redesign the housing, so they just put a plug in there
Old 10-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
Svtzx555
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27739
What I Drive: '06 silver ST

FF Reputation: 11 Svtzx555 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Come on now...not all of us at Ford our boneheads....you're really one to talk not knowing that the part that is leaking is the thermostat housing...
Gumpcrew#7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_07ninja View Post
Svtzx555-3 to Sn4ckm4st3r-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnFocus View Post
Yea, I'll go .080 over on his face.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
svt pwr 02
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Svtzx555
Come on now...not all of us at Ford our boneheads....you're really one to talk not knowing that the part that is leaking is the thermostat housing...
LOL, good point. But I didn't say anyone at Ford was a bonehead, but the guys at the local dealer have managed to screw up every time the car has been in one way or another, so I will stand by my statement. (For example, to replace a fuel sender we had the car in 4 times, first they messed up installing it and we had gas leaking, then they messed it up again and apparently shorted the sender, then they put in another one and managed to route the e-brake cable so that it hung up on a heat shield.... )

As for ME not knowing what the part is, I'm not supposed to be trained and certified, the guys at the dealership *should* be.... We took the car in to get the intake manifold replaced (as per their diagnosis a week before, parts had to be ordered.) We told them meanwhile that it had recently started leaking some light fluid on the driveway. They first said it was the valve cover gasket - you can see in the pic that it's not real tight. I told them it wasn't oil, and the engine isn't covered with oil, it's something light like coolant or power steering fluid. They said they not locate any leaks. That was last week. So today I jacked the car up and looked upwards from the leak and there it is, dripping from that plug. Wasn't all that tough to find... So they're boneheads.

The thing looks like it just pushes in and is held with a clip. Doesn't seem very secure for something in the pressurized coolant system. Anyone know if there is something better that can go in there, or do I need to just get another one?

Thanks again,
Old 10-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
svt pwr 02
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by crazymechanic
yeah, you need a new thermostat housing. there is no pressure relief on there. that metal plug is there because on older zetec engines there was a sensor there. ford saw no reason to redesign the housing, so they just put a plug in there
An entire new thermostat housing? Holy cow! Why wouldn't just that metal piece need replaced? Doesn't look like a plug, it's made up of more than one piece and seems to be leaking from a seal.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
dudley123
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9564
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dudley123 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I JUST FIXED THAT. I had my car on a lift and saw it was leaking from there. The O-ring is all thats bad. I put a new o-ring on that was a lil fatter than the stock one, Machined it down to fit, and it works like a charm. So if u car is not under warranty still i would advise u do this. There is a lil clip that u pull out and the metal plug pulls right out.
SVT Squad #76
2002 Infra-Red SVT
Performance:
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, FC ORP, Steeda STS, HIA Intake, Prothane Tranny Mount Inserts, Hypnotic tune,
QTP Cutout, NX Wet Kit(soon to be Direct Port), SVT Head .030 Milled, Ferrea Stainless Valves, Cometics HeadGasket, Port Matched, Intake/Exhaust Ports, ARP Head Studs, MUCH MUCH MORE, Done PM if interested.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
usually it leaks there because the thermostat housing has cracked, hence the loose plug...
Old 10-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Svtzx555
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27739
What I Drive: '06 silver ST

FF Reputation: 11 Svtzx555 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally posted by svt pwr 02
But I didn't say anyone at Ford was a bonehead

So they're boneheads.

Well.....which one is it?! I know what you're saying though. Every garage...doesn't matter if it is professional or not...will have some sort of "bonehead" working for them. They don't care about the car that is under warranty because they want to get to the car with a customer pay brake job, not your warranty leak that they have to find, diagnose, wait for parts, fix, etc........There will always be one lazy tech in a shop, usually more.
Gumpcrew#7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_07ninja View Post
Svtzx555-3 to Sn4ckm4st3r-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnFocus View Post
Yea, I'll go .080 over on his face.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
look closer, alls you will need is a 5 cent oring.
simple repair to do. this is nothing but a plug in the housing.
if you look youll see a clip that holds the plug in, pull the clip. wiggle the plug and it will pull right out.go to the parts store and get the oring(go to their asst), pop it back together and top off your antifreeze.

simple and cheap to fix. the orings seem to deteriorate.

Bookmarks & Social Networks