Is this a fuel pump problem? Help! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
Rockbird
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28681
What I Drive: 2001 yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Rockbird Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is this a fuel pump problem? Help!

My 2001 Focus has left me stranded twice in the last week. It appears to be the fuel pump problem talked about in previous posts. But when I called the Ford dealership and gave him my vin# he told me my car was made too late in 2001 to be included in the recall. So I called Ford customer service and they told me the same thing. He said my complaint would be researched to see if other Focus owners not included in the recall had the same problem. Which basically means I have to replace the pump at my own cost, and maybe someday be reimbursed if they find others with the same problem. Fat chance, right?

It will be running along just fine, then suddenly loses power until it basically slows to a stop. The more I press the accelerator the more it wants to die. After it sits for a while it will start and run just fine, at least for a while. Does this problem make the check engine light come on?

My main gripe is that I was never notified. It did this last July and we never figured out what it was. If I had known about the problem then, I could have had it fixed under my extended warranty, which has since expired. Great.

Is there any other problem that would make it do this, before I spend money on a new pump? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, y'all!

Rockbird

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

Points 1,359, Level 20
Points: 1,359, Level: 20 Points: 1,359, Level: 20 Points: 1,359, Level: 20
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
It could be the fuel pump. I've never heard of a cut off date for a 2001 model with the fuel pump recall. Does it seem to happen or is it worse when you have less than 1/4 tank? I've seen a couple threads where people were driving and the car seemed like it hit a wall and did pretty much what you described. They too had to wait for a while to restart the car. In both of those threads it was recommended to check the fuel filter, especially if you haven't changed it in the last 30,000 miles.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Rockbird
Focus Rookie

The first time it happened I had 3/4 of a tank of gas. I had driven it about 100 miles or so. Can you tell me where the fuel filter is? The book only says it's on the underbody and should be taken to a qualified technician. Isn't this something we can do ourselves? I can get my husband to look at it when he gets home.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Rockbird
Old 10-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
ssn666hawkbill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12657
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue candy

FF Reputation: 0 ssn666hawkbill Newbie
My engine light never came on but I just stalled all the time and some big huge guy past me going up hill on a moped, if that tells you how much it sucked... The filter is just before the take just about under the passenger rear seat... Just two speed clamps and its off... but you have to depressurize the tank, most of the time take the gas cap off.... most filters are like 13 bucks... good luck
Old 10-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

Points 1,359, Level 20
Points: 1,359, Level: 20 Points: 1,359, Level: 20 Points: 1,359, Level: 20
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockbird
The first time it happened I had 3/4 of a tank of gas. I had driven it about 100 miles or so. Can you tell me where the fuel filter is? The book only says it's on the underbody and should be taken to a qualified technician. Isn't this something we can do ourselves? I can get my husband to look at it when he gets home.

Thanks so much for your reply.
Rockbird
Yeah, you should be able to do it. I'm not that mechanically inclined, in fact it was the first time I ever got underneath my car, and I was able to do it. I followed these instructions. You can pick up the fuel filter at just about any auto parts store for about $5-$10.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 230,345, Level 100
Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yes, def. do the fuel filter first.. It gets quite cruddy on our cars quickly... Just make sure you run all the fuel out of the car first ( in the fuel system ) . Read those instructions . they are good.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:16 AM   #7
FocusFreak87
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28487
What I Drive: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5

FF Reputation: 2 FocusFreak87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Would a bad fuel filter be the cause of bad smelling exhaust? and how cruddy do they get and how fast?
TEAM DURATEC #108
Studies show that 92% of kids listen to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listens to real music put this in your signature
Metal... is... AWESOME!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
focusva
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27997
What I Drive: 2002 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 focusva Good Standing Member
my fuel pumps it would loose power and if you did not keep it would give oyu the check oil, battery and cel light. fuel pump problems very wasy to tell going up hills and it does not seem to matter how much gas you have in the tank. but it is a soft code so the minute oyu turn off and back on the code goes away. my first fuel pump the dealer took 10 days to find. as for the fuel filter i have 2 dirty ones and you can not really tell. my parents and brother have between 70-100 thousand miles on there fords and never changed there they thought I was crazy. you just have to look at them.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
Rockbird
Focus Rookie

My husband tells me that he had the filter replace a little over a year ago. But we bought a new one and will put it on and see if that helps.

Thanks, y'all!
Terry
Old 10-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #10
Rockbird
Focus Rookie

OK, we replaced the fuel filter and the problem is still there, sometimes. It runs Ok for a while, then loses power. Is there something else that could cause this problem, like a sensor or something. Hate to spend the money on a fuel pump if that's not the problem. Can I have it tested some how? And if it is the fuel pump, can we replace it ourselves? Where is it located?

Terry

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.