To hack the lunchbox or not...Tis the "?" - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
R00ST650
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
To hack the lunchbox or not...Tis the "?"

Alright, I want a bit deeper exhaust note out of my car, but dont want it ricey and dont want to spend a lot of money. I know a lot have suggested (and done) the lunchbox hacking, but I went around today (4 exhaust places) and got estimates of 40 (midas) up to 80 to hack it off and put a pipe/tip in its place. The problem is, everyone said it cannot be put back on once it comes off (im worried it wont sound good)

I was also considering buying this muffler EBAY BORLA MUFFLER

and having it installed in place of the stock one (leaving the lunchbox) I was quoted 25 by midas to have a new muffler put in, so the borla option is 125, where the lunchbox removal is 40.

I am unsure of what to do, but want to decide soon (want it on for jet fest) Any suggestions?

For those of you who have done the lunchbox removal, are you satisfied with it? Does it sound ricey at all? I want deep and just a little bit louder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Evan_Murphy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1286
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Evan_Murphy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dont want to kinda shoot you down, but do it the right way and buy a catback. If you dont want to spend alot and just want noise, get the ORP.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
R00ST650
Focus Addict

I dont just want "noise" I am hoping to find a deeper sound. I am only considering this because I had heard a few people say they liked it, but want more confirmation on the topic before I go and do it.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Silver03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10546
What I Drive: 2009 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Silver03SVT Good Standing Member
I did the rear muffler hack a few months ago. I have no dyno to prove it, but I do believe I gained a slight bit of power, and a slightly louder exhaust note. Look at any aftermarket cat-back exhaust, it is essentially the same lay out as the stock exhaust with a chopped rear muffler. The SVT already has a great exhaust system and hacking the restrictive lunchbox will only make it better. Toss on your favorite muffler in addition to this mod and you've got a custom exhaust for a fraction of the price.

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 06-27-2005, 11:43 PM   #5
R00ST650
Focus Addict

did you put a new tip on it (with new piping?) I just want somthing a bit deeper sounding (little bit louder)

I think I might order the muffler first, and then do the lunchbox hack if that isnt loud enuf.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
Iceboy9191
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5809
What I Drive: 04 SVT 5 dr

FF Reputation: 1 Iceboy9191 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
its a waste of 40 bucks, but untill you do it, you will keep thinking just how sweet your car would sound like that so you may aswell do it....it makes your car louder up to 3000 rpms's pretty sweet, after that it just seems to get quieter...and no performace gain....im thinking about going with the second lunchbox muffler as well....hmm
Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #7
R00ST650
Focus Addict

alright thanks, I think I might just try that ebay muffler (100 shipped for muffler and 25 for install) then after that goes in, if its not loud enuf, I might hack the lunchbox.

I keep thinking about how I could be wasting 125, and a full catback (trubendz) is 275-325 shipped for a borla system. I would get the trubendz if the SS was cheaper, but the SS is 325 shipped) - and I dont even know how this setup sounds either.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 AM   #8
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7784
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT; 03 Black Evo 8

FF Reputation: 1 blck01zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I chopped my rear lunchbox off, and replaced it myself. Just cut the box around the pipe and weld it back on. It wasnt hard at all. Sounds pretty good to me. A lil bit deeper. Plus it was free!
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
sdreschsvt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 22663
What I Drive: 02 silver svt

FF Reputation: 1 sdreschsvt Good Standing Member
exhaust

i had the resinator cut off under the drivers seat good sound, and saved 30 pounds. not to loud crusing on freeway,but deeper at lower rpms. seems to run a little better,but not dynoed yet. oh yea only cost 20 bucks.good luck.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
I have ben thinking about lobbing off that "lunchbox" too, looking for the same thing ROOST is looking for so I will be following this tread too
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.