Zetec swap for an SPI! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
tfdmissmatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28474
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SE, 5spd, pitch black

FF Reputation: 1 tfdmissmatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Zetec swap for an SPI!

I did one search on a zetec swap in place of the spi and didnt find what I was looking for. For the sake of knowing, can anyone clue me in on how realistic a zetec swap for an spi really is? Is it basically a straight swap or are there other, more complicated factors involved?
I read a post about swapping a zetec for a vtec and that is just "reprehensible" in my opinion.
I would like to install a few bolt ons for my focus, except it has an spi, and there arent many options for that compared to the zetec. How much could one realistically sell an spi for and what is its demand; what can a new or low mileage zetec go for? I would do the research myself but i figured that while im on the focus forum i might as well ask and because its time for bed. My spi only has forty thousand mi. on it, so im wondering how much i could sell that for to help lessen the cost for a zetec purchase. If anybody knows a thread that could answer my questions, please redirect me too it. If not then please help me out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
tin_maddog
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23749
What I Drive: Pitch Black SPI, b!tches!

FF Reputation: 4 tin_maddog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
There are more complicated factors. Complete engine, transmission, axles, ECU and I don't know what else.

You could probably get a mere $3 or $4k out of it if you sell/trade in.

And you know, you say there aren't many options, but there are:

Intakes
Throttle Body (which is going to the wayside now)
Custom porting of intake mani., runner manifold and cylinder head
3 different cams to choose from
Adjustable Cam Gear
2 underdrive pullies
2-3 header options
Any sedan exhaust will fit
There is a guy on here that'll get you flexpipes
N20 Kits are universal
3 or more manifold options for a turbocharger setup
Short Shifter

What else are you looking for? You'll be GRANDS in the hole and all you'll have to show for it is a stock motor w/ a mere 20 horsepower. I'd say swap in an STI engine, or an EVO engine, or an LS1, or a C6. Why go Zetec?

uberSPI
Old 10-13-2005, 02:10 AM   #3
tfdmissmatch
Focus Enthusiast

can that really be done?
i havent heard of anything like that being done except by the super rich at Cosworth's. What chance does Mr. Minimum Wage with no bills to pay have at a project like that? Mr. Minimum Wage might be looking for a cheaper method of adding some pep than adding an engine AND a new transaxle. Could you summarize all the informational links err websites in layman's terms so that Mr. Minimum Wage doesnt have to search for them so he can go to bed? I found out about focussport.com and they have facilities less than ten miles from my house. I will go check them out when i get a chance. Thanks for your time and consideration,
Sincerely, A focus rookie.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
tin_maddog
Focus Addict

I will go no further into divulging information to perform such heresy.

If Mr. Minimum Wage is THAT hard up for money, maybe he shouldn't be modifying his car. Or at least, he shouldn't be interested in an engine swap. Mr. Minimum Wage can save up for 6 months and do a JY Turbo for less than that.

Tell Mr. Minimum Wage I said that.

uberSPI
Old 10-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
tfdmissmatch
Focus Enthusiast

Mr. Minimum Wage has heard your reply and he has a question. He asks, "Arent turbos bad for the engine, and dont they shorten its life?" Wage has heard that supercharging is a better alternative to bolting on a turbo. Wage inquires as to what Sir Maddog's expert opinion is the better of two upgrades. Mr. Minimum Wage rewards you with his sincerest gratitude for your aid.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:08 AM   #6
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
if properly tuned and such, turbos should not ruin your engine....

as for superchargers, they take power to make power, and we dont have that much to take to begin with. i have heard of one SC SPI, and i am not sure he was as pleased as he could have been... though i dont know for sure.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #7
tin_maddog
Focus Addict

Mr. Maddog's knowledge, though limited, leads HIM to believe this:

Any power adder is likely to shorten the lifespan of the engine, but with proper care, upkeep, maintenance and the like, it won't shorten it enough to notice.

Mr. Maddog believes that supercharging isn't necessarily better, but as Mr. Urn said, tuning will probably be the deciding factor. Mr. Maddog kind of disagrees with Mr. Urn about the remark regarding "takes power to make power." He understands the point, but believes that the linearity of the ratio of power to forcefully-induced power means that you are going to see the same ratio of gains when compared to any other engine with a supercharger.

Mr. Maddog believes the same about a turbocharger.

Mr. Maddog believes that boost is going to be equally hard on engines. Simply put, the only difference in the delivery of power from turbochargers and supercharges is the time that it starts boosting, and the length of time it stays in full boost.

A supercharger will, depending on setup, start with 3 psi (for instance) under throttle. It will then have a linear boost in power to it's maximum power of 10 psi at redline (again, figurative number here). Only at redline does it see 10 psi. Now, a turbocharger will start off in vacuum and build boost under throttle, but it starts at -0-. Now, hypothetically speaking, let's assume the turbocharger kit is configured to peak at 10 psi. We'll have a slow increase in boost until, say, 3000 rpms. The turbo is at full boost at 3000rpms and will remain at 10 psi (again, unless configured otherwise as some stock turbo setups are) until a shift or the throttle plate closes.

So what you have is a slower increase in boost w/ a supercharger. You have a slow increase in boost with a turbo, but not as slow. It'll peak partway through the powerband and hold the max boost.

BUT, both engines are seeing 10 psi. The turbo engine is seeing it longer, but the supercharger is boosting from takeoff.

So, in conclusion, Mr. Maddog would like to inform Mr. Minimum Wage that despite all that, a junkyard turbo would possibly be easier if a manifold can be had. That is, unless Mr. Minimum Wage would like to be one of the first to get a Zetec Aerocharger kit and find what modifications need to be done to make it work with the SPI. He'd be highly appluaded in the SPI world.

Mr. SCSPI seemed happy with the outcome of his supercharger, but that was after much money was dumped into it to make the kit as good as it should have been from the shop. That shop doesn't make those kits anymore anyways, so don't even consider it.

Make sure Mr. Minimum Wage understands that there is no SPI F/I kit in production.

uberSPI
Old 10-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
This has been one funny ass thread to read!

Mr. Maddog might want to shoot me for this but just for Mr. Minimum Wage's information www.focussalvage.com offers a Zetec swap for maybe $2000 + or -, I say go with Mr. Maddogs advise he is a wise man!

Jon
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #9
KesTrel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8859
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda 3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 KesTrel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ah Mr.Maddog is very wise man yes, always offers advice to Guru tightwad. Maddog dose many good things such as teach Guru tightwad how to drive stick yes yes very wise.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
tin_maddog
Focus Addict

I hate teh Zetec swap, but it is a fact that you will have more options for aftermarket. Just like everyone else.

Thanks Bill!

uberSPI

Bookmarks & Social Networks