2000 Focus ZTS trunk latch - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
Trey
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 20518
What I Drive: which one? hahaha

FF Reputation: 8 Trey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
turn the key and then pull the trunk up as hard as u can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #12
whycoyote
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 10240
What I Drive: 2000 White ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 whycoyote Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yep, tried that. And pounded, pulled, pushed, crowbar (with rag wrapped around), had my daughter sit on the trunk lid. You name it, I've tried it.

That's why I was hoping there was a way into the trunk through the back seat.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #13
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
OK, I'm not sure how the seats are built, but have you looked at removing the lower rear seat and seeing if you could access the lower seatback hinges and remove them? If they designed it right, for trunk security, the hinges would only be accessible from the trunk; however, they might not of been that careful with the design.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
whycoyote
Focus Rookie

Unfortunately, they were careful with the design. There is access to one bolt, but you can't get the other unless the seatback is down. This is an ugly circle.

How the heck is anyone going to get in? Can a locksmith take the lock and mechanism apart from outside?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #15
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
Well, it sound like some connection rod likely just fell out of place, e.g., a circlip came off and a linkage rod or something is loose. A locksmith could probably drill out the lock and fish around through the hole to release it; however, that would be costly and destroy the lock.

Do you have access to an identical model you could examine? If so, take a look and see where the emergency release handle is located inside the trunk. Then see if there is some way you could perhaps drill a hole into the trunck from underneath and, using a coathanger or something, grab and pull the emergency release. I have a Wagon and do not know the seat back design; however, you might check to see if there is someway to do something similar snaking a coat hanger around the seatback if there are any gaps into the trunk. You could also try to release the seatback latch using this method.

If you know any police or criminals, you might also ask them as they may have suggestions.

But the key thing is to get an identical model you can examine closely to do some brainstorming and figure-out how to release the latch somehow with a rod, coathanger, long screwdriver, or other way by making an access hole in a inconspicuous place, that you could easily fix/seal afterwards.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #16
whycoyote
Focus Rookie

Thank you, thank you! I never thought to look at another car. I'll see if I can find one and then post on the success. You're great.

Stacey
Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #17
SQFocusZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4729
What I Drive: 2000 Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 2 SQFocusZTS Good Standing Member
how willing are you to cut/replace parts of the vehicle? Flip the ass part of the seat 'up' and look at where the black hinges of the 'back' part of the seat are secured to the body of the vehicle. there should be three large torx bolts. however, a black metal part is directly infront of them blocking a ratchet from even coming close. if you can cut those black things (cut off tool), and get a ratchet /torx bit in there, the bottom part will become free, only to be held in at the top by the latch mechanism. you might be able to fanagle your way to remove them.

Honestly, i didn't quite see what those black things do (from above)... but I will gladly take pictures of what i'm talking about. send me a PM and i'll post it here. My trunk also is apart, ie. no trim panels period. The only trim panel that is on is the one that is connected to the trunk lid. If there is a emergency release, it would be under there ...because its not anywhere else.

-john
SQF

Certified MASTER Installer
one of 72 in the world...
Old 02-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
whycoyote
Focus Rookie

Trunk update! I finally took it to my locksmith. He is always willing to take on a challenge. He is a small guy, so was able to force an arm between the back seat rests and pull the release. When I picked up the car his arm was very bruised and bloody.

Now I have to buy a new trunk latch. Some plastic part got caught in the latch and gummed it all up. It can't be fixed. A dealer quoted me $422 to replace it. Ha! I'll keep the bungie cord for a while.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #19
Sting2324
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus SE SPi

FF Reputation: 1 Sting2324 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Thats one dedicated Locksmith!

Good to hear that you got it fixed

---Randy
Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
greglovesbeer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32001
What I Drive: 2000 Gold Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 greglovesbeer Good Standing Member
Well.....after encountering the exact same problem and reading as many posts as I could about this I took my car to the locksmith this weekend. He fabricated a key so he wouldn't break mine trying to force it. No luck....even with all his fancy lubricants. I discussed all the different things I had read on the internet that people had to do to get in. My locksmith actually dealt with the same problem with a focus at the airport about six months ago. It was an emergency and the guy needed immediate access to his trunk so the locksmith actually had to cut the trunk to get in and the guy had to replace his trunk. So after telling him about everything I had read on the internet he got inside the car in the back seat and had a good look at things. He devised a way to get a bar in through a tiny hole at the top of the backseat where you would attach your baby seat and he was able to pull one of the seat releases. We were all pretty amazed when he did it. Once he did that he climbed in to the trunk and got the latch to release. He even managed to uncease the tumbler and now I'm good to go although I'm going to hit the wrecker next weekend for a new latch/tumbler as I am without power trunk. The tumbler/latch/power trunk motor is all one assembly and my power trunk motor is blown I guess. But I was pretty happy. It cost me 60 bucks instead of $200-$400 that I figured it would. By the way....the tumbler ceased up from never using the key.

Bookmarks & Social Networks