The "Official" Suspension Thread - Page 11 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #101
bullitt97
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 46363
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 bullitt97 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 SVT rear sway provision?

Looking into getting the Eibach ProSystem Plus for my 2002 SVT... but, online merchants say to check to make sure there's a rear sway bar from the factory. Noob question, I know, but are there provisions for this car to have a rear sway bar installed? I don't want to get the Plus kit if I don't have to...
Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #102
connorheidy01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78581
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 connorheidy01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickgt40 View Post
Drops the car 1.5" from the SVT height?

You only have a few options:

Best overall option: Coilovers - You will be able to adjust the height, and the car will handle like it never has before.

Best Mix/Match: H&R Race springs/Koni Yellow Shocks - These will be lower than the SVT but you're not going to get the slammed look. Performance wise, next to coilovers this is by far the best set up for great handling.

Best All in One: H&R Cup Kit - It will be slightly soft for aggressive driving but it's definitely your best spring/strut combo out of the box. Comfortable ride for how low it is, lowest spring/strut combo out there.

Other options: There are other options that are out there that will get you low or that will be cheaper but they are either not durable (like the Eibach Sport Kit) or are hard to find (Intrax).
So many great options.. Im definitely going to be looking into all of these except for the coilovers. I know that id want those the most but i just dont have that kid of cash unfortunately..

Most likely going to go with the mix/match just because i dont necessarily want to slam it just a little lower, and i love well performing suspension. My dad has an 05 Boxster S and i love the way that thing is glued to the road, it feels like its on train tracks around corners.

Also, what are your thoughts on the eibach pro-kit? As far as durability and performance goes how does this strut and spring kit stack up against others?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #103
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 34,214, Level 100
Points: 34,214, Level: 100 Points: 34,214, Level: 100 Points: 34,214, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I didn't see Megan Racing springs in the mix. But 2" drop with 18s with factory struts. If your interested. I will upgrade to new struts later hope to go with Koni yellows.

Stock.

Day after install.

These was taken about a month ago after I got the 18s.

I may have droped about a quarter inch since those was taken nothing drastic. I did how ever need to do some rear inner fender trimming cause the tires rubbed on turns and big bumps.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #104
Rockstar92
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88204
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx5 se

FF Reputation: 1 Rockstar92 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey guys just ran into this thread doing a search had a quick question I'm looking into upgrading my suspension but can't decide what to go with. I heard eibach pro kit springs are 20% stiffer than stock so I was leaning towards that because I don't want tooo stiff springs. I also want some good dampers to go with it because I wanna track my car sometimes so yea basically I want some good all around suspension. The ride doesnt have to be very comfterble as long as driving it on the street is bearable and gives good handling on the track too I am also gonna upgrade sway bars but first looking to lower 1 inch and get good dampers. Oh also should I look Into after market cambers too? Sorry I'm pretty new to modding cars lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #105
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Rockstar, one of the best suspensions is the H&R sport springs (they give a 1.5" drop just like the prolines) paired with Koni yellow dampners. If you go with the prolines the eibach pro dampners do work well with them.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #106
Focus-Rookie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88864
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Focus-Rookie Good Standing Member
Hey guys. I was wondering if it is possible to just chop the stock springs? I want a lowered look, but I don't have very much cash. There is probably more cons than pros, but I'm just curious. I want coilovers, I just cant come up with 1200 bucks at once. lol

Jake
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #107
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Shorter springs have to be significantly firmer to offset the loss of suspension travel. While cutting does increase spring rate there's no way to know precisely what your doing or what you'll end up with. The cutting process also generates heat which can easily change the tempering of the wire causing sagging problems. It's really a ghetto way of lowering a car. There's no need to spend anywhere close to 1200.00 to properly lower a car. Ford Racing makes a nice set of springs (1.5" drop) and shocks (you were going to get new shocks, right?) for around 300.00 delivered. Remember, stiffer shorter springs REQUIRE shorter firmer shocks for proper damping.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #108
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 34,214, Level 100
Points: 34,214, Level: 100 Points: 34,214, Level: 100 Points: 34,214, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I got megan racing springs which gives ya a 2" drop, for 88 bucks shipped off ebay and i've seen em around 120 shipped too. But like what geezer said you'll need different shocks. I put mine on stock shocks and it has taken a toll on em. I wouldn't recommend using stock shocks but I have gottin by till I can afford some nice ones. The springs ride damn good too.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #109
Focus-Rookie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88864
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Focus-Rookie Good Standing Member
I'm in Utah and there is a local classifieds page here called KSL, There is a set of springs on there for 25 bucks. I'm ok to buy those and put them on the stock shocks and be ok until I ca afford to get some different ones??

Jake
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #110
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
It's doubtful your stock shocks will be able to dampen aftermarket springs for very long (especially if they have lets say more than 20K miles on them) and you'll be replacing them very soon. The key is in my previous comment, you need a shorter firmer shock to properly dampen a shorter stiffer springs. Ride quality and handling will go to hell if you don't. Why would you want to do that for a little visual benefit?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.