Sparco Pedal problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
Seashrimp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2857
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Seashrimp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Sparco Pedal problem

I just got some Sparco pedals and now realize i have a problem. My ZX3 is standard. I get the gas on and work through that problem my self(the cross section on the underside of the pedal doesnt allow the nut for the peal screw to center on the hole but im taking the gas pedal off and drilling away that later this week). The main problem is the clutch and brake pedal. The existing pedal plates are welded to the arms. I cannot drill through the center of the pedals because there is no way to get the nuts on, (the screw would go right through the middle of the arm, if you have a ZX3 take a look and you will notice its impossible to drill.) My only option i can see is to remove the whole pedal assembly and torch off the existing pedal plate and weld the Aluminum Sparco pedal right to the arm. It is also not possible to simply just offset the sparco pedal to the right or left to miss the arm on the back. This exposes the stock plate and looks real bad. Any sudgestions before i break out the cutting torch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Where's these Sparco padels made specifically for the Focus or is it a Universal pedal set?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
I wouldn't break out the torch, those aluminum pedals won't take to it at all. I would chalk it up to experience and get a pedal set made specifically for the focus that require no major alterations. I believe anytime you start taking a torch to something like this to make it fit you will be asking for a great deal of trouble, headaches and expense down the road.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
Seashrimp
Focus Enthusiast

No, the pedals are here http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SPA0378703, i am not talking about torching the sparco pedal, just torching off the old plate that it is suppost to screw into. then i plan to weld the sparco pedal directly to the arm. Another option i thought of is some kinda metal glue. I believe my I saw my friend in the shop using some kinda blue stuff that he said turns into glass to bond 2 pieces of metal. If anyone is still confused i could post some pics about what im talking about.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

I think Focusedat50 is saying that welding the alumimum pedal to the pedal arm is not a good idea or it won't weld properly.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
Focusedat50
It's been fun.......

Fan#: 1409
What I Drive: Boosted ZX5 ATX - 179WHP/158TQ

FF Reputation: 2 Focusedat50 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
That is correct, this is an accident waiting to happen. You're going to slam that brake pedal and it's going to snap off leaving you rocketing towards whatever it was you were trying not to hit.

Again, torching/welding is not an option here but that's just my 2 and it's your car. I only hope that you don't hurt someone else in the process.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #7
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

It might be better to sell those pedals and just get some made for the Focus so they can be mounted on properly.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:22 AM   #8
Seashrimp
Focus Enthusiast

Ha, A razorblade and a tube of epoxy solved this problem. Just rough up both surfaces real bad, wait five minutes for the epoxy to harden and they are basically welded on there.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
tjm73
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5109
What I Drive: 2000 F150 Sport (FOR SALE), 1990 Mustang GT Convertible, 1997 GSXR750 Streetfighter

FF Reputation: 1 tjm73 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Seashrimp
Ha, A razorblade and a tube of epoxy solved this problem. Just rough up both surfaces real bad, wait five minutes for the epoxy to harden and they are basically welded on there.
I was going to say just glue them on, but you already did. With today's adhesives it'll stay put for a LONG time.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
mustfcs
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5290
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue Street Edition

FF Reputation: 1 mustfcs Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by tjm73
I was going to say just glue them on, but you already did. With today's adhesives it'll stay put for a LONG time.
You can do that, or what I did was just trim 1/2 inch off the stock pedals right side and this made it possible to offset the pedal and not expose the factory pedal. You don't have to move the Sparco pedals over too much to do the job.

Good Luck, just don't torch it. That could cause problems.

My FOCI on Cardomain.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->