"How To" VCT Trouble-TSB 03-6-07 - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
popecruz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17124
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 popecruz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I think it might have got me....
All your hard work and training for AutoX and you get sliding off the road and jacking your suspension named after you. That sucks.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #12
EURO04SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5280
What I Drive: 2006 FUSION SEL

FF Reputation: 1 EURO04SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by JRSVT04
I had this problem with my vehicle. They blame my after market parts (udp), and try to make me pay for repairs. I had to return vehicle to stock and take it to different Dealership.

Magnusson-moss act they cant do that. You can report them and they will change there tune.
^^^^^^^
probably mis-spelled
Old 10-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
Mork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18855
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Mork Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by EURO04SVT
Magnusson-moss act they cant do that. You can report them and they will change there tune.
^^^^^^^
probably mis-spelled
No, they won't change their tune. They don't have to. It really doesn't matter what M-M says, it is all for show. Who do you think will run out of money for the legal fight first? You and me or Ford? Besides, it is pretty easy to show that any drive-train modification like UDPs could cause any kind of drive-train/engine failure. If you choose to mod the car, you choose to gamble that you will get issues fixed. You gotta pay to play...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #14
EURO04SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Mork
No, they won't change their tune. They don't have to. It really doesn't matter what M-M says, it is all for show. Who do you think will run out of money for the legal fight first? You and me or Ford? Besides, it is pretty easy to show that any drive-train modification like UDPs could cause any kind of drive-train/engine failure. If you choose to mod the car, you choose to gamble that you will get issues fixed. You gotta pay to play...

The war has been fought already and why would it be for show?? Beleive me they will change there tune I have worked for FMC for about 7 years now. You have go over a service manager to get things done. Ford sells UDPs out of the FR catalog for F%!*s sake. If you had cam gears that could be a bit more of a problem unless you had a Ford dealership install them.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #15
EURO04SVT
Focus Enthusiast

A little bit from the Magnusson-moss act

ITS NOT A "SHOW" ITS VERY REAL AND FEDERAL

Get it in Writing

If a dealership denies warranty coverage, they should be willing to do so in writing. Have the dealer describe the failure which is causing your problem AND how the dealer believes the aftermarket product installed is responsible for the problem. Keep an accurate log of all contacts and correspondence in addressing the warranty denial.

Contact the Vehicle Manufacturer's Zone Representative

If a car manufacturer backs your warranty, and you have a dispute with the dealer about either service or coverage, contact the local manufacturer's representative. The local or zone representative has the authority to adjust and make decisions about warranty service remedies or repairs to satisfy customers.

Some manufacturers are also willing to repair certain problems in specific models free of charge, even if the manufacturer's warranty does not cover the problem. Ask the zone representative or the service manager if there is such a policy.

The procedure for contacting your zone representative is usually provided in the vehicle owner's manual. This information can also be obtained from a dealer, or by calling the manufacturer's customer service number, as listed in the carmaker's owner's manual. Present your case to the zone representative. Be sure to indicate how the dealer responded to your information, especially if dealership personnel were notably uncooperative, etc. Once again, be sure to get as much information in writing as you can; request that any determinations or actions which are promised by the zone representative be confirmed by a letter or a fax.

Contact the Vehicle Manufacturer Directly

You may find that contact with the zone representative does not achieve resolve of the matter. If you are still not satisfied, the next step is to contact the vehicle manufacturer directly. Most carmakers maintain a contact office or a special department that is responsible for dealing with warranty issues (see Attachment B).

Using the information you have gathered and any additional information you may have to supplement your case, forward a letter directly to the vehicle manufacturer's customer service office (sometimes called dispute resolution board or something similar). Be sure to explain your situation in detail and in a logical, easy-to-understand manner. Provide as much detail as you can about your contacts with the dealer and the zone representative. Do not hesitate to state if you felt you were treated improperly or unfairly by either. The vehicle manufacturer will almost always respond to you with a letter; sometimes promptly, sometimes not. Again, be sure to retain all correspondence in case you need it for future use. Generally, the vehicle manufacturer has the greatest interest in ensuring your satisfaction; they want you to remain loyal to their brand. As such, they will likely make a good-faith effort to resolve the issue particularly if there is a known pattern of similar failures. If there is a request for any additional information, be sure to keep a record of what you send. If the manufacturer should still decide against you, make sure that their refusal letter provides an explanation of how they believe the aftermarket part caused the problem.

Local Approaches You Can Try

If you cannot get satisfaction from the dealer, the zone representative or the manufacturer, contact one or all of the following:

Better Business Bureau
State Attorney General
Local Department of Motor Vehicles
State Consumer Protection Office
Many states also have county and city offices that intervene or mediate on behalf of individual consumers to resolve complaints.

You also might consider using a dispute resolution organization to arbitrate your disagreement if you and the dealer are willing. Under the terms of many warranties, this may be a required first step before you can sue the dealer or manufacturer. Check your warranty to see if this is the case.

If you bought the vehicle from a franchised dealer, you may be able to seek mediation through the Automotive Consumer Action Program (AUTOCAP). AUTOCAP is a dispute resolution program coordinated nationally by the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA: 800/252-6232), and sponsored through state and local dealer associations in many cities. Check with the dealer association in your area to see if they operate a mediation program.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 AM   #16
Mork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18855
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Mork Good Standing Member
blah blah blah, Euro. None of that means squat. Try it and see how far you get...

1. Your car will not be fixed while you fight them and, knowing Ford and their lawyers, that fight will span many months, if not years. Do you want to wait that long with an un-usable car?

2. If you have the money to fight Ford over it in court, which will happen unless you get really lucky with the dealer, you would probably not be driving a Focus. Do you think they care if you are happy with your $15k car? If you had a $150k Ford GT you might get some respect.

The 03/04 Cobra crowd has a ton of experience with denied warranty claims and not a one that I know of has gotten any remedy using M-M. Most end up getting tired of being without their cars and just upgrade whatever failed. A few have gotten them lemoned but that is a different law and much more effective because it doesn't have to do with anything but time in the shop for the same issue.

The car is warrantied as is, not modified. If you read the fine print, just because it is sold by Ford racing doesn't mean your warranty is still valid if you install FR UDPs. Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together. If you change your crank pulley, you mess with just about everything drivetrain and engine related.

That being said, you rarely hear of a dealer denying a warranty claim on a focus because most of the common problems are pretty cheap for them to fix and, besides a blower or turbo, none of the available mods really add much power to add stress to the car. On the 03/04 Cobras with defective heads from the manufacturer, that is an expensive fix which requires pulling the engine (meaning an inspection by SVT) so the SVT rep would typically deny coverage if there was ANY sign of a modification, even a CAI.

It is all about $$. If a dealer won't help you, don't plan on M-M saving your butt unless you got the bones and time to wait it out...
Old 10-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #17
ajbeer-svt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 28397
What I Drive: 04 zx5 svt silver

FF Reputation: 1 ajbeer-svt Good Standing Member
Getting back to the VCT solinoid, on 04 svt, the solinoid went bad and shut the car off, it would not start, drive or anything like that. There was no warning or anything before it happened. They first did not Know what it was, then they try saying that it was a saftey build in to shut the car off went sobody flat shifts the car. This was one week after I bought the car and only 275 miles on the car, I did not even take it past 3,000 rpms. That when they called ford and they told them what it was. It took them two weeks to get the part, (no rental because I was under 25 years old). My car had to be towed to the dealer. When it got there, my two front wheels had rub marks on them from the hold down they put on my tires when they towed it. The dealer and the towing company said that they did not do it and were not responsible. That is when I said that I did not want the car and my money back. That day they had a guy fix the wheels back to new. It cost the dealer $145.00 a wheel to get them fixed. All of this was because of the failing vct. Now it is 1 1/2 years old and 35,000 miles on it and the dealer will not look at the car because it is consider highly modified. I called ford and they said just to try other dealers or return the car to stock to get it fixed. Ford can not make a dealer fix a car. So today I retured my car to stock and it goes to a different dealer next week.
-So in short, just find a dealer that will work with you or return the car to stock every time you have a problem with it.
Andrew
Old 10-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
EURO04SVT
Focus Enthusiast

We are pretty cool with it here. Its not good to turn away money, FMC doesnt know whats done to the car. Its the ass service manager. If it was cams or cam gears that has a direct effect with VCT I would understand but UDPs have no real direct role with VCT at all.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:19 PM   #19
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ford legal can have all the money in the world to throw at it, but it's cheaper for them to keep a class action lawsuit off their hands by just saying "yes"

especially since it's a well documented issue with SVTFs and has a TSB out for it. They don't release TSBs because people who have heavily modded cars are having issues, they do it because ALL the cars do.

Anyways I had this same thing done, but I don't think it was a TSB at the time. When did they release this?
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:56 AM   #20
VAfromMN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20592
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST & '04 Focus SVT

Points 1,002, Level 17
Points: 1,002, Level: 17 Points: 1,002, Level: 17 Points: 1,002, Level: 17
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 VAfromMN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by NCC28983
Yea lucky you.... mine ended like 14K ago....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the bottom of the TSB it stated that it was also covered under the emissions warranty - doesn't that extend out to like 5 or 6 years and 100,000 miles?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.