"How To" VCT Trouble-TSB 03-6-07 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Springbuck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23301
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT 5DR

FF Reputation: 1 Springbuck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question Tsb 03-6-07

Ford today performed the above TSB on my car and replaced he VCT solinoid. I cannot find any record on it can someone help with any info on it or the actual TSB?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
FORDSVTPARTS
Banned

Fan#: 26008
What I Drive: 2002 SVT FOCUS

FF Reputation: 4 FORDSVTPARTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
That is a real TSB, see below.

FORD: 2002-2003 FOCUS

ISSUE:
Some SVT Focus vehicles may exhibit the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated with Diagnostic Troubles codes (DTCs) P1381/P0011 Variable Cam Timing over-advanced (Bank 1) and/or P1383/P0012 Variable Cam Timing over-retarded (Bank 1) stored in memory. The vehicle may also exhibit a rough idle, reduced power condition, and/or stall at idle. This may be caused by:

Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) control system stuck
Intake camshaft CMP trigger wheel mispositioned or loose
Engine Cam timing incorrect
Electrical conditions

ACTION:
Refer to the following Service Procedure to verify the Cam Timing, Intake Camshaft CMP Trigger wheel position, and VCT solenoid operation, then service as necessary.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify camshaft timing.
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise so that the second timing mark in rotation on the crankshaft damper is aligned with the raised mark on the oil pan (Figure 1).
Locate timing peg installation hole, remove plug, and install TDC timing peg tool T97P-6000-A (Global Number 303-574) (Figure 2) with timing peg installed verify the crankshaft will not rotate in a clockwise direction.
Remove Engine Camshaft Cover and Timing Cover, per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C - Timing Belt, perform only the steps of the procedure that are necessary to remove the camshaft cover and timing cover.
NOTE: IN ORDER TO REMOVE THE TIMING COVER IT IS NECESSARY TO REMOVE THE WATER PUMP PULLEY AND ACCESSORY DRIVE IDLER PULLEY AFTER REMOVING THE CRANKSHAFT DAMPENER.

Attempt to install the Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool T94P-6256-CH (Global Number 303-465), into the slots in the rear of the camshafts.
If the alignment tool does insert into the slots, Engine Base Timing is correct. Proceed to Step 2.
If the alignment tool does not insert into the slots, the Base Engine Timing may be incorrect, proceed to Step 1e.
Remove the crankshaft timing peg.
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise one revolution.
Reinstall the timing peg, verify that the engine will not rotate in a clockwise direction.
Attempt to install the Camshaft Alignment tool. If the Camshaft Alignment tool will now insert, engine timing is correct proceed to Step 2.
If the alignment tool will not insert, then base engine timing is off. Reset camshaft timing per Workshop Manual section 303-01C - Timing belt, perform only the steps of the procedure that are necessary to reset the camshaft timing - Continue to Step 3.
NOTE: TO AVOID VALVE DAMAGE ROTATE THE CRANKSHAFT COUNTERCLOCKWISE 1/3 OF A TURN, TO LOCATE ALL CYLINDERS OFF OF TDC, BEFORE LOOSENING THE CAMSHAFT PULLEY RETAINING BOLTS, OR USE AN OPEN ENDED WRENCH TO PREVENT THE CAMSHAFT FROM ROTATING AFTER THE BOLTS ARE LOOSENED.

Inspect the intake camshaft position sensor trigger wheel alignment. With camshaft alignment tool, and crank timing peg installed, there should be 15-16mm between the top edge of the CMP sensor and the CMP trigger wheel tooth (Figure 3 and Figure 4).
If trigger wheel alignment does not appear to be correct, replace the intake camshaft. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01C - Camshafts.
If trigger wheel alignment does appear correct, verify VCT Solenoid Wiring and connections. If OK, replace the VCT Solenoid assembly, torque the VCT Solenoid retainer bolt to 88 Lb-in. (10 N-m).
Reassemble. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C - Timing Belt, perform only the steps of this procedure that are necessary to reassemble the engine.
NOTE: WHEN TORQUING THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST CAMSHAFT PULLEYS IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO USE LOCKING PLIERS TO INSURE THE CAMS DO NOT MOVE. ALSO REMOVE THE CAMSHAFT ALIGNMENT BAR DURING THIS PROCEDURE TO PREVENT CAMSHAFT BREAKAGE.

NOTE: REINSTALL THE WATER PUMP PULLEY, TORQUE BOLTS TO 18 Lb-ft (25 N-m) AND ACCESSORY DRIVE IDLER PULLEY, TORQUE BOLT TO 29 Lb-ft (40 N-m) AFTER REINSTALLING THE TIMING COVER AND BEFORE THE CRANKSHAFT DAMPENER.

Start the engine and monitor VCTADVERR PID using WDS, or CAMERR PID using NGS Tester, the PID should equal 0 1 degree at idle.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage and Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
030607A Check And Adjust Engine Timing (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 1.5 Hrs.
030607B Check Engine Timing. If Correct Inspect Camshaft Trigger Wheel Alignment And Clearance. If Incorrect Replace Intake Camshaft (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 3.0 Hrs.
030607C Check Engine Timing If Correct Inspect Camshaft Trigger Wheel Alignment And Clearance If Correct Verify VCT Solenoid Wiring And Repair As Necessary (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 1.5 Hrs.
030607D Check Engine Timing If Correct Inspect Camshaft Trigger Wheel Alignment And Clearance If Correct Verify VCT Solenoid Wiring And Replace VCT Solenoid (Includes Time To Monitor PIDS After Repair) 1.3 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6250 12

OASIS CODES:
607000, 607400, 608000, 608400, 611000, 611500, 698298

Figure 1 - Article 03-6-7

Figure 2 - Article 03-6-7

Figure 3 - Article 03-6-7

Figure 4 - Article 03-6-7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Copyright 2003 Ford Motor Company
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #3
Springbuck
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks a lot. I wanted to know what it says. Good to know.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
JRSVT04
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22224
What I Drive: 04 Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 JRSVT04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had this problem with my vehicle. They blame my after market parts (udp), and try to make me pay for repairs. I had to return vehicle to stock and take it to different Dealership.
born 3/09/04 #855 of 1079
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
NCC28983
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9003
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVTF 3-door #1372 of 4788 Born 04/23/02

FF Reputation: 1 NCC28983 Good Standing Member
Hmm I'm pretty sure I've got these problems in mine, How much does this cost to repair?

Wanna have fun on the backroads? - get a focus
Old 10-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Springbuck
Focus Enthusiast

No idea, mine was done under warrenty.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
NCC28983
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9003
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVTF 3-door #1372 of 4788 Born 04/23/02

FF Reputation: 1 NCC28983 Good Standing Member
Yea lucky you.... mine ended like 14K ago....

Wanna have fun on the backroads? - get a focus
Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This deserves to be a "sticky".
Something tells me with the miles we're all rolling up, we might be seeing see this problem more often.

FORDSVTPARTS;
Any way to get those Figure images?
Or, might there be a copyright problem...
Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
SVTfella
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9571
What I Drive: 02 infra-red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVTfella Good Standing Member
hopefully this wont be a major problem........Ive talked to 2 other svtf owners who had this problem
Old 10-13-2005, 08:32 AM   #10
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
My kid had a Zetec Contour with variable timing on exhaust side and the actuator stuck. Ford did a high powered oil system flush of some sort and it didn't help. That actuator was a $600 part and half a day to replace it. It may be nothing like our system, but the precaution would be the same, use good quality oil and replace it fairly often. I use the syn blend Castrol and replace every 5000 miles with all highway driving. If I did a lot of warm weather or around town driving, I would probably go full synthetic and more frequent changes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.