Do you think 'Car Modding' is worth it? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Is 'Car Modding' Worth It?
Yes (Worth it)..... 1,446 82.58%
No (Not Worth it)..... 305 17.42%
Voters: 1751. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #61
187bosshog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39425
What I Drive: 2003 white ZX3 Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 187bosshog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
y not ppl mod them selfs .....
ZETEC Crew #112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #62
SpecialEd

Fan#:
i think that one shouldn't do many mods to their engine and exterior, but do mods with the interior to make the ride nicer. Nicer seats, better system, custom gauges, neons, etc. because it never gets old.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #63
02SVTsilverstreak
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20849
What I Drive: 1995 Chevrolet Z28 A4

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTsilverstreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
its part of it.its like having unprotected sex, you know whats eventually gonna happen, but you just cnat leave it alone... its not just a habit for some, its a lifestyle, and for me, it is my lifestyle, too bad im too broke for most of the stuff i want to do right now, but i consider it a life style.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #64
Godzukidan
ELVIS LIVES !

Fan#: 20925
What I Drive: 05 ZX3, 95 T-Bird V8, 2012 Stang V6

FF Reputation: 5 Godzukidan Good Standing Member
I think modding a car is a way to make it your own. A way of expression, making a custom ride. I am not heavy into mods but I do all the bolt on stuff. Intake ,exhaust, rims,SVT style wing. I try to keep it a factory looking ride, but still one of a kind. I have a buddy of mine that has put almost 25 thousand into a 2002 civic coupe with a 1.7 litre. Sure it has 360 hp and runs like scalted dog. But he will never get any thing out of it if and when he tries to sell it. I would of never spent that kind of money on a car like he did. But he loves it and said he would do it agian. So I quess the bottom line is , if it makes you happy and you have the cash..... go for it.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #65
Andy04180
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21158
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX5 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 1 Andy04180 Good Standing Member
Modding your car worth it? YES.

I am modding my car because it will make it my own, makes it unique in it's own way. I enjoy modding. It's fun and I have something to show for it. Been showing cars and working on them for a long time now. Just figured I would give something else a shot since my '68 is still in Mississippi.
Exterior Mods: 17" Motegi DP12 rims, 5% Tint, Silver Focus Fanatics decals
Entertainment:
Performance:
Team Duratec #70
Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #66
focusedaddiction
2focusedracing

Fan#: 23787
What I Drive: 2003 sangria red 5spd. ZX3Turbo

FF Reputation: 4 focusedaddiction Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Is it worth it, ..HELL=YA it is it's a great way to relax after a long day at work and very saticefying ...( no i can't spell right know ) when ya get to try out the new modd at the autocross track afterwards!!
Is it financially worth it???probably not, but does that really matter in the end as long as it makes you happy! crap my modds are know equall to my payoff on my loan and i know there are many waayyyy worse off than me..LOL....after all moddingIS addictive!! haha!!
_/\_/\_SCCA_/\_/\_SM #74_/\_/\_BRING ON THE CONES!...zetec crew #74
ZX3..underpressure
tuning by TOM
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #67
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
A realization I had while talking to another autocrosser the other day. At least 90% of the street cars that I see getting the top times are stock class cars. This holds true for most regions that I have seen as well. With the sole exception of a very well modded STX Evo VIII MR and a E30 BMW with springs and short gears, the entire top 10 in most of our events are stock class.

I also see the many of the experienced racers often sticking with stock or lightly modded cars as well. These guys have gone through tons of cars and classes, and end up back in stock. I know one guy in particular who spend a bunch on his 2004 Cobra, but then after 3 seasons sold it and now has a B Stock RX-8 that he's much happier with. 95% of the fun with 5% of the cost.

Besides, I can't think of more than a handful of people on this site who can actually say that they have reached the car's limits on their best day. Maybe after 5-6+ years of racing, and some serious national titles, I could say that the car is starting to hold me back...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #68
qjones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27502
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 qjones Good Standing Member
for me its just fun, I have grown up a bit (34) so I don't feel the need to mod out every vehicle I own. I do plan on keeping my little SVT till the end so modding it does not seem like a waste. I know the money invested will not be returned but it does not matter because the car will not be going anywhere.

Mods in Profile
Old 11-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #69
sundaydriver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32477
What I Drive: 2006 red sx4 ses

FF Reputation: 20 sundaydriver Great Standing Member
I think it has all been said. Modding can be a huge waste of money (we've all seen cars that have huge ridiculous wings or overwrought body-kits) if done poorly. Even if done correctly the cost can outweigh the benefits.

Some mods can void your warranty or make your car uninsurable (is that a word?). The bottom line is, you have to decide for yourself if it really is worth it. I agree with carrera, most people never even come close to pushing their car to it's limits.

I also agree that often you are better off buying a better car rather than spending the money on modding what you have. It wouldn't be hard to drop 30k on a modified focus- think of all the cars that sell for around 30k. Why not just buy one of them instead?

Still, there is a certain satisfaction in creating something original. If it gives you an outlet and you are approaching it in a safe way (i.e. not running soccer moms into the ditch while you fly by at 120mph) why not?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #70
Godzukidan
ELVIS LIVES !

Fan#: 20925
What I Drive: 05 ZX3, 95 T-Bird V8, 2012 Stang V6

FF Reputation: 5 Godzukidan Good Standing Member
(i.e. not running soccer moms into the ditch while you fly by at 120mph ) I agree with that 100 %. I dont know some of those soccer mom van's are pretty fast...lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks