Do you think 'Car Modding' is worth it? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Is 'Car Modding' Worth It?
Yes (Worth it)..... 1,461 82.31%
No (Not Worth it)..... 314 17.69%
Voters: 1775. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2005, 01:51 AM   #41
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
To me it's worth it. It doesn't add to the value of the car but I don't care. I have had this car for almost 3 years and I still drive it around with a smile on my face.

Of course I'm about done modding my car for a while. The only thing I really want is a set of wheels but that will have to wait for a while. The power it has satisfies me, the way it looks everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #42
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've never owned a car for as long as I have owned this one (15 months), and I probably won't again. I never meant to be in this car this long anyway. Not that I don't like it...

But I also do all this brokering, so I am in and out of different cars all the time, can switch around quickly and not lose money. Also, I am saving like crazy to do it more often (and important things like buying a house, actual adult stuff), so spending $$$ on mods for my car is awfully far down in the scale of important things to do.

Maybe when I am brokering full time and making killer cash, and can write mods and racing off, I'll get more into it. Of course, it'll probably be with a car that has more easy potential than the SVTF. A main reason I bought the SVTF is because it's great out of the box and doesn't really need much of anything to work well and be an economical daily driver / autoXer.

As far as standing out and being different, if I spent $15K on my car, you wouldn't be able to tell from more than a few feet away anyway, so you can see where my priorities are. Not to mention I would rather take that extra cash and stand out in a Boxster instead....
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 10-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #43
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by CKA
But what about your body.............and yeah tattoo's fall into that category as well.
And again..........it doesn't increase the value of your body now does it?
Anyway I am done, don't wanna start a huge agurment in a simple thread.
^^Your not starting an agurment, your opinion is appreciated. Oh and sometimes it increase the value of your body especially to other men and woman....especially if you put on a hot little outfit, it kinda catches peoples eyes so in a way it increase your "value" Two girls in a bar, both equaly gorgeous, ones wearing a bunch of cloths showing barely any skin, and the other has on like a short tube top with really short low rise cut of shorts, who you going to be looking at more

Any way i actually had to vote yes, b/c even though it doesnt increase the value to the rest of the world, it does in your eyes...not in the money sense but in the uniqueness in the car. When you mod your basically personalizing it to fit you, so yes what CKA said makes sense, its not much different. Yes it cost alittle more then buying clothes and such but whatever.

I would have to say if your modding a car to make it faster then another car....its not worth it, b/c then u could just buy a faster car with that mod money.

So Mod for yourself, not for others.......thats when its worth it.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #44
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Like I mentioned earlier, for me a balance has to be maintained. I ride bicycles that cost from $2,000 to $5,000 and usually pick up a new one every 2 years or so. I love my car let there be no doubt but it has it's place in line just like everything else.

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 AM   #45
alreadyblue
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 24930
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 alreadyblue Good Standing Member
I think it depends on the car and what level you go to.

Modding a 1997 Ford Taurus? Not so good...
Modding a Scion Tc or something with an engine that has lot of potential, yeah definately.

The Focus is a good car to modify. Many of the stock parts aren't that great and the car has proven itself in certain race circuits. I mean just changing the suspension back to how it was made for the European market is worth it.

I say spend a couple thousand to make it perform and ride like you want it to. Or spend a ton of money and make it into a show car that can make you money or get you business, or publicity, or whatever. It's the level in the middle where you are spending a lot just for personal pleasure. That's when you should take the money and just buy a better car.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #46
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Actually, modding is partially the reason why manufacturers are outsourcing for their performance parts now (i.e., Brembo). Yeah, okay, so not totally outsourcing a lot of parts yet, but I am glad to see this merger of respectable aftermarket products coming into production vehicles, and that manufacturers have to raise the bar for their sports vehicles.

It's been a slow evolution process over the last 5-10 years, but it's really coming into effect now (manufacturing of affordable sportier cars). To be honest, part of the reason I bought the SVT over other cars like the Sentra SE-R Spec V, Civic SI, and similar cars was because it was a limited production vehicle and I never see that many around (not to mention, this is the only car under $20k with a rally background). And with the euro-package, I get stares on the occasion, and yeah... I enjoy the attention a little.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 10-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #47
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Well I took a drive in my bro's 2000 and holy man, what a difference my mods made to my car vs his focus. Yeah still shocked, you don't realize it (as much) until you get back in a stocker.....
Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #48
havoc7476
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12504
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 havoc7476 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i'd have to say yes, it worth it to mod, customize/personalize your car. if you take how much you have learned from doing little projects like painted parts of your dash, installing a cold air intake or making a custom sub box all those things add up and you know more from doing all those projects. not to mention the community and friends you met from modifying.

i'm 20, and have been modifying for about 3 years and have enjoyed learning to do all sorts of stuff, and if you can further you talents you help other modify their vehicles and maybe make a living from modifying. how many shops are out there and the owners started off by doing it to their own cars and then offering it other people. I can think of two on this site that have made a living off of thier passion of modifying cars, Tom and Hypnotic.

it's something that is definatly worth it.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #49
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Good point Chad! I haven't been in a stock Focus... god... ever since getting mine!? Probably not...

I'm sure, even though I'm pleased with my baby's changes, that if I got into a stock one it would really remind me how different mine is, even though I don't consider it extraordinarily modded out. I forget sometimes, the progression it's gone through, until I'm parked next to a stock, or a family member mentions it!

Then I get a renewed S[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]-eating grin and I remember how much I enjoy my car
Old 10-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #50
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Yeah decided to 'race' a bit tonight in my car, now don't get me wrong, I don't do this often, rarely actually. I only got up to about 20 over the speed limit on a very quiet section of road but oh yeah, probably my first real 'kill', some riced up Neon, actually pretty damn nice and definitely modded. I really hammered 3rd and it pulled very nice.

Anyway starting to change my opinion I originally posted at the start of this thread, I'm definitely loving the 'aftermarket'......

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->