nitrous express kit, need MSD? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
05MustangWanter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2837
What I Drive: '00 Ford Focus ZX3, MTX75, navy blue

FF Reputation: 1 05MustangWanter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
nitrous express kit, need MSD?

I soon plan to do the following mods:
AEM CAI (don't worry I dont live in a flood zone), FC 65mm Throttle body, Nitrous Express 75 hp wet system, Steeda high flow fuel rails, Steeda plug wires

question, will it be necessary or extremely wise to do the MSD ignition in order to ensure proper spark for the 75 shot in order to prevent detonation or is Fords ignition reliable enough to not worry about it?
get back, thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
A 75 shot might be pushing it for a mildly modded Focus.
I know people on this forum have used 50 shot on a mildly modded Focus using the stock ignition.

Maybe viney266 will jump in on this thread and give his input.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:03 AM   #3
SceviourZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 438
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SceviourZX3 Good Standing Member
i would'nt go past 60shot myfriend.

2000 Focus ZX3

T3/t03 Airsearch turbo, Custom Manifold,Downpipe,intercooler piping, Spearco Intercooler, Greddy Type-S BOV,Turbonetics Delta gate 35mm,Stainless Oil lines/fittings, FC 65mm TB, Ported 00 intake manifold, Port/Polished head, Rage Adj Camgears, Esslinger Undedrive Pulley, SVT Pedals, Short Shifter, KYB GR-2 Struts, AR 5 Spoke Chromies,Ventus Rubber, Tein Springs,Xenon bodykit, Hella Headlight conversion, kaminari Carbon Fiber Hood, Kaminari Rear Wing, Shorty Billet Antenna
Old 01-28-2004, 03:39 AM   #4
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Me personally, no more than a 50 shot.

The MSD ignition is BS, I responded to your mods in your other post.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:29 AM   #5
SceviourZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 438
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SceviourZX3 Good Standing Member
jeff, you dont think a 60 is very safe? 50's the highest youd go? any particular reason you thinking this?

2000 Focus ZX3

T3/t03 Airsearch turbo, Custom Manifold,Downpipe,intercooler piping, Spearco Intercooler, Greddy Type-S BOV,Turbonetics Delta gate 35mm,Stainless Oil lines/fittings, FC 65mm TB, Ported 00 intake manifold, Port/Polished head, Rage Adj Camgears, Esslinger Undedrive Pulley, SVT Pedals, Short Shifter, KYB GR-2 Struts, AR 5 Spoke Chromies,Ventus Rubber, Tein Springs,Xenon bodykit, Hella Headlight conversion, kaminari Carbon Fiber Hood, Kaminari Rear Wing, Shorty Billet Antenna
Old 01-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
05MustangWanter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

appreciate the help. basically im lookin to not do anything so large to the car, b/c i want to be able to sell it off a year or two from now, w/o it looking like it was owned by some kid that modded it a lot.. B/C it takes away from the number of people interested in buying the car (an old couple won't buy a focus with a bunch of mods) plus it makes it look like i beat the crap out of the engine... therefore i'd be able to take off the CAI real quick, and the 50 shot, and the throttle body, all to return to stock.. the exhaust would be more of a pain in the ass to do plus i'm still not sure if im into the tone of it..
Old 01-28-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 230,345, Level 100
Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you use an aftermarket intake and plumb the nitrous into that, you will be able to put it all back to stock when done. As to your other questions, No I agree with Focal the msd is not needed. I would, as others stay with a 50 shot on a stock motor, at least plumb it that way at first, if you feel it needs more , you can go to 75 later. It only takes 15 minutes to change the jets around int he nozzle to make h.p. changes on a NX system. 50 is also about all the stock tyres can ( cannot ) handle anyway.
Make sure you get a fuel pressure cut=off ( shuts the sytem down if you do not have enough), easy to wire in and could save your motor. There are other options as well to make it safer and more reliable. Bottle heater and a rpm window switch are both nice additions as well. Take your time and get Good clean connections. The stock ignition and plugs are fine at 50 h.p., above that you really need to do more work to make it reliable.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
05MustangWanter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

im not really a big fan of the full throttle activation switch.. what happens if you floor it and your all out of nitrous? would it still add the extra fuel causing too rich of a mixture? I think i'd much rather have an actual switch located inside the car. plus i heard that the full throttle activation switch doesn't connect well with the focus central throttle body. are there switches already designed to mount onto the steering wheel or is that a custom installation? again, thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #9
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Turning on the nitrious with a switch to get the FnF effect sounds like a bad idea for street cars. Seems like you would want all the air you can get into your engine when your nitrious is enabled to increase performance. Why dump nitrious at half throttle or anything less then WOT?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 230,345, Level 100
Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100 Points: 230,345, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You are correct sir!!! Every kit I have installed has a activation switch somewhere in the cockpit, mostly toggles, but we did one push button on the top of the shifter, BUt we have also installed a W.O.T. switch on all these applications as well. So, you have to have it turned on and be at WOT..You should NOT spray nitrous at anything less than WOT.

Bookmarks & Social Networks