Rubbing on stock SVT susp with 17" Enkeis ... need help !! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
bluebisz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48
What I Drive: 04 Pitch Black SVT with Euro packag

FF Reputation: 1 bluebisz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rubbing on stock SVT susp with 17" Enkeis ... need help !!

Hey guys,

Some of you might have seen that I totaled my ZX3 about a month ago ... after that thanks to this forum I could get my hands on an 04 SVT from across the country, and I love every minute of it since then - expect the rush hour crawl, but that can be expected in SoCal ;)

Anyway, now I would need your help guys. I have the stock SVT suspension, the car has about 19k miles on it. I drove about 3k with the stock SVT rims and last weekend I changed them out to the old rims I had on my totaled ZX3. These are 17x7 Enkeis with 215/45/17 Yokohama AVS tires. Since then any time when I hit even a small bump or take a turn a little faster, I hear that my front rims rub, especially the left. When I check the clearance, I have about an inch above the tires up front and a little more on the back.

Any help you guys might have would be greatly appreciated ... if I can't find a solution quick, I might have to put the stock SVT rims back on, which is not bad, I just wanted something different.

Thanks in advance, hope someone will come up with a good idea what the hell is going on ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm betting those Enkeis are 40-42mm offset.
You're going to have to live with it or....
1) Put the SVT wheels back on.
2) Get stiffer springs/dampers.
3) This is the most likely culprit....
Bend the tab in the fender well that holds the liner in place.
Very common spot for the rubbing you're describing.
Here's an explanation and a pic:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...32&#post379032
Old 10-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
bluebisz
Focus Enthusiast

Yep, seems like you are on the right track ... Just checked and these Enkeis (GF1) have 42 mm offset.

First I think I will check the tab in the fender and see if modifying it will help to stop the rubbing. As for stiffer springs/dampers I was playing with the idea, but most likely will wait until the stocks start to soften up and they have to be replaced anyway.

So, if the rubbing will continue after the tab is modified, I will most likely go back to the stock SVT wheels as the rubbing really annoys me and with my driving I can feel it almost in every fast corner ...

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

/Blue
Old 10-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
denzillion
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3955
FF Reputation: 1 denzillion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Well I have the same Enkei wheels (GF1) on my SVTF with the stock size. They never rub on my car. And yes, I drive hard on turns... The shop told me that it MIGHT rub but I have them on about 7 months now.. no rubbings so far
Old 10-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #5
bluebisz
Focus Enthusiast

Wow, then it's interesting. Seems like the only diff we have then is the tires. You have ContiExtreme and I have Yokohama. But as both are the same size as stock, it should be then identical ...

Anyway, there will be a local meet tonight in SD, will ask around the guys - they might have some ideas as well when they see it in person ...

Thanks for the feedback ... but if it continues to rub this bad I will switch them back to the stock rims ...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
funksilver04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28179
What I Drive: 2007 Silver Mazdaspeed 3 GT

FF Reputation: 1 funksilver04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
It sounds like the offset. Even if they work on one car they might not work on another. Every car has it's own attributes unique to that car, even if it's the same model. I would not go less than 45mm offset on the SVTF...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
bluebisz
Focus Enthusiast

Yep, it is. I've talked with whiteboyslo last week and he recommended to use diff tire size, like 215/40/17. But to be honest, I will most likely put the stockers back on as they are lighter - I think - and still look good ;)

Bookmarks & Social Networks