Evolution Performance Driving School = Unbelievable Experience!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Evolution Performance Driving School = Unbelievable Experience!!!

I just got back last night from doing Phase I & II of the Evo school up in the Twin Cities. I struggle to find words to describe just how fantastic the experience was. Not only did I get to do about 80-90 runs total this weekend, but I learned things that I don't think I could have picked up in 3 years of regular racing. It's not that I was neccesarily introduced to any techniques that I have not heard before, but having these taught to me by these instructors put everything together. Mechanics, mental technique, feel, all of these tools I had before but really didn't know how to use effectively until now. I finally started to drive my car in real life how I always tried to drive in my head. I can see on every run not only how it SHOULD be done, but how I am actually doing it and how I can change to improve. I have felt incredibly frustrated some days because I just couldn't see why I wasn't going faster, and what I had to do to improve. Now that I can, not only will I go much faster, but I think I will be able to have a better time because it's not all such a mystery anymore.

These instructors were devastatingly fast. On the first day, in the first 4 cone slalom, never having driven my car, the instructor was at least a full second faster, by the 4th friggin cone!!! I never knew my car could do what it did in his hands, but now that I do I definitely know what to shoot for! Not only that, but everytime that my car was being driven, or I had an instructor talking to me, I have it on video from my much-improved camera mount. I'm going to be going back to that tape over and over again, believe me! I am also going to be posting some of the runs for you guys to see. If you want to see what happens when a multi-time national champion, professional racing instructor can do behind the wheel, this is your chance!

I can't wait to put my new skills into action, and I am already committed to going back and doing the school again next year. I encourage anybody who has an opportunity to sign up and have the same great experience. http://www.autocross.com/evolution/

Also, I had a great time with some of the Focus guys up there in the Cities. Trahma and Mars were great guys, as were their friends. I definitely want to get back up there sometime to both race and hit the town with you guys again, especially if it's not a friggin monsoon there like it was this time!

I also got to drive some great cars during our fun runs including, a racing Cobra (as in a Shelby kit), Miata, STi, and an NSX. I acutally though I blew up that guys Cobra after my 2nd run, but it turned out it was just a power steering pump that started to leak fluid on to the headers. I just about crapped myself though when I was driving back into the paddock and white smoke started pouring into the cabin! The NSX was very nice, but had no power steering and big sticky tires. That made the steering a serious workout at low speeds. When you got going it lightened right up, but get into a slow corner and it literally took all my strength just to move the wheel a few degrees! Good times...

I'll try and post some stuff in the next day or so, as Trahma has volunteered to host for me. That's a good thing, and there is probably a gig or 2 total. I'm going to seriously pare it down and just show some of the highlights, but anyone who wants more I will send it out to you, as this stuff is 100% gold!

Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
OneAMRadio
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25838
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 OneAMRadio Good Standing Member
I am very jelous of you, I have been reading their website and I wish I could go to that.

-Ryan

2006 Liqued ZX3 Duratec 2.0L (D20) - Steeda STS, HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
Old 09-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
trahma
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4904
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 trahma Good Standing Member
Damn I really wish I would have known about this because I would have registered for the event in heartbeat. It's always awesome to meet other people that know what I'm talking about when I talk about my car. When you sign up next year you should let me know in case Shane slacks on telling me when I need to register. Plus you shared enough enthusiasm about racing with me where I'm still contemplating going to Mid-America this weekend.

Let me know when you have those videos ready, I'll start making room for them now.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

My message for everyone is stop thinking about it and start going out there! I'd race a rollerskate if that's all I had.

There's a Saturday and a Sunday event right by you this upcoming weekend, trahma. check out the local SCCA site (scca.org, then find your local site) and the Midwest Autosport Club (don't know the site, but it's MAC on all their paraphenalia).

I would absolutely go autocross before you hit the road course. It's a steep learning curve even when you aren't getting out of 2nd gear. Always fun, but I would get a bit more comfortable with both your car's and your own limits before you go out on the big track.

There's also events down here within a couple hours of you as well, one on a huge course with lots of speed and the other on a Kart track that will give you a safe Road Course experience. Let me know if you are interested.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 09-26-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
hey how much was the school? and also could we see the videos? thanks.

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Old 09-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

$225 a day, including lunch. 8:00 - 5:00, with a maximum of 12 students per instructor, all instructors are full-time racing instructors with numerous national championships. I got roughly 40 runs EACH DAY. Just make sure you sign up at least 3 months beforehand, especially for Phase I, or you won't get in. Just follow the link I provided for all the info you need.

I will be getting the videos to Trahma tonight to host and post tonight or tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
W~Phoenix~{RC}
FF Bouncer

Fan#: 11450
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost Sport Edition ATX

FF Reputation: 1 W~Phoenix~{RC} Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
I am so envious. Perhaps next year I'll have some money set aside so I can do that. It sounds like an absolultely fantastic experience. Oh, and Aaron check out the Great Lakes Forum and see if you'll be able to make any of the events (October 21st or 30th) that I posted threads about. Hope you see you at an AutoX soon

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
MARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16196
What I Drive: 2004 COMP. ORANGE FOCUS ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 MARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the weather sucked but i guess everything turned out great for u and the EVO crew.... oh yea thanx again for letting me ride with u on the course, just amazing how the car can handle the sharpe azz turns.... hope u and trahma can post up the vids.....

CHEAP MODS:
CAI, 9mm FRPP wires, gapped .65 platinum motorcraft spark plugs, hacked off muffler and back res.

SVT Squad #10
Old 09-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #9
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

I really wasn't doing near as well on those runs you came out on as I could. I was so completely fried after that much racing, and I was trying to push it too hard as that was the closest to a dry run that I had gotten all day. Wish I could have put something more impressive together...

Oh well.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
JohnMichael
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Don't you mean 'Creation' Driving School?! nah...just picking!

Sounds like a freaking blast, I would probably have to get better acquainted with my SVTf before trying something like that, as I would look like Forrest Gump out with those Instructors...

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch

Bookmarks & Social Networks