Should I do it??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Should I do it???

Well, im sure you guys no about my problem with my gas milage so low. Well after telling my cousin today who is also into cars, and he couldnt even believe it...he said his turbo audi TT got that much lol. I started thinking, Ford obviously is not going to make the effort to fix it, and my dad even talked to his friend who is a service manager and he even said ford wont do nething unless there is a CEL light on or an apparent problem with the car.....great help this warrenty is huh. Any way i was thinking, its not getting good gas milage and i have commute to school all the time and gas isnt getting cheaper, and obviously there is something wrong with the engine, and a problem left unchecked will get worse and cause more problems, which i dont want to watch happen. So i was checking around for other cars, id really like to get an svt but i dont really have any money to dish out, id have to get a direct trade in for another car. Well i did some searching and i found a 2003 black zx3 on autotrader not to far from where i live, probal ylike an hour or less. Its fully load, sunroof the works, as well as a manual tranny and the 2.3l engine....ooo black, manual tranny, and the 2.3.....besides an svt the kinda focus i always wanted. But of course with all good things there are negative things....one it is 11,995 bucks, and it has 30k miles. So i emailed them to see if we could possibly make a deal and have them push the price down. I dont know if this idea is going to fly with my dad though, b/c id be gettina used car, with a decent amount of miles....then the fact that its a stick, and i have never driven one and its the school year and i have to commute back and forth to school...and this might be alittle hard and dangerous b/c it would be like im learning to drive in a sense again. I dont know most likly my dad is going to say no, ur car is fine, dont worry about the gas milage blah blah, oh yea and hes not realy into cars and its hard enough trying to get him to understand moding, itll be harder to get him to let me get a bit quicker car with a stick...not to mention he doesnt drive stick and probably never will and will give me this whole saftey crap and that i shoudlnt be drivng stick in traffic neway. Also if i got this car, those tints i just got would go to waste, and id have to sell my volant intake since it dont work on the 2.3, although im sure i can sell it and pick myself up a cold air intake for the duratec easly. Tell me what you think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
mlowery
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14715
What I Drive: flame blue metallic 2010 focus se

FF Reputation: 5 mlowery Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
talk to your dad and see what he says. i learned how to drive a standard pretty much on my own. hills are the only thing you may have trouble with but you can use your e-brake if you have trouble. if you do get it learn to drive it first, worry about hills later......
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
back in black
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25399
What I Drive: Black 07 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 back in black Good Standing Member
Don't let the fact that you've never driven stick before slow you down. It only takes a day or two to figure it out, and then in only a week or so you won't even notice it's not an auto.

As for getting the new vehicle, the better gas mileage will most likely not make a huge difference in fuel costs. So if you end up paying much more for the new one, I wouldn't bother. Even if you ended up doubling your mileage, you would most likely be saving under $500/ year, and I think even that would be a stretch. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
stah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24753
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 stah Good Standing Member
I say do it. If you can get a decent trade, rock on. A manual is like riding a bike, it's almost a requirement to learn to drive one. Not because there is a test on it or something, but because if you never want to worry about what you drive, it's a good idea to learn to drive one.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Trey
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 20518
What I Drive: which one? hahaha

FF Reputation: 8 Trey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Go for it man, as far as having a manual tranny go out to a big parking lot and get some one to teach u I tought some one to drive a stick in 45 minute sessions over 3 days, t isnt all that hard...
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
oneill8769
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12797
What I Drive: 2006 Whitewater Pearl Mazda3 Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 oneill8769 Good Standing Member
my parents were skeptical about me getting a stick too, but they helped me out in a parking lot until i mastered it. it only took a few days, and after awhile, like back in black said, you won't even realize it.
Mazda3 Traitor Party #2
Old 10-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
lv3kf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27201
What I Drive: 2003 Red Ford Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 lv3kf Good Standing Member
I have the same problem. Well I know how to drive a stick, I can switch the gears just fine and do the stopping and all. I only have one problem...getting from a stopping point to moving. Is all it is is releasing the clutch with just the right amount of gas? I actually used to drive a John Deere Pro Gator at work and it was a manual, kinda. (You could start out driving it in 4th gear if you had it idled high enough. I could drive that awesomely with no problem at all.

Appearence Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tip, K&N Sticker
Old 10-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
talonk4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5737
What I Drive: 2k3 sangria red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 talonk4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
my focus was my first stick. i killed it on the hill half a block from the dealership the day i bought it.... but i wouldn't let the fact that you dont' know stick deter you from purchasing it. i'd say do what you feel would benefit you.....

Alpine, iPod, Infinity, Sony, FC, FS, FR, Pipercross

JMS lip kit
Old 10-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
back in black
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25399
What I Drive: Black 07 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 back in black Good Standing Member
You basically have to push the gas a little just as the clutch engages. You can also hold the the at the point where it starts to engage a touch longer, and it shouldn't stall. When you're starting out go real slow with the clutch, that makes it a lot easier to pull out from a stop.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #10
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
^^^well learning to drive stick isnt a problem...my mom has owned many, just the last time she drove one was like 10 years ago, but im sure she still knows how to do it. If i can get a direct trade in then ill do it....but i dont even know if that will happen. Ill see what happen. What problems do you guys experience when the car has 30k+ miles. But i doubt the dealer will agree to my demands. The car he has is better then mine, considering it is fully loaded. Its on special and he wants just under 12grand for it.....which is close to the retail value but i still think the price is pretty high b/c the car is almost 3 years old. Only plus i have going for is that my car is automatic and has low miles....ill probably keep my wheels, but i doubt ill get anything special for having the hellas on there, plus the fact that my car is green and the black one will probably sell faster then mine

Last edited by DrkKnight614; 10-02-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.