Turbo Options - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
Tetsuo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26418
What I Drive: Best Fokuz Evar!!!!!!!!!!!!

FF Reputation: 1 Tetsuo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Turbo Pimp Powers! ACTIVATE!

OK, here's the deal, remember the master turbo dude i spoke of? ok i go out there, things go pretty well! he quotes me about 4800 for a fully assembled and installed turbo kit with the ability to work it's way up to 250(275?) whp, and wtq(which while still being woefully insufficient is enough for me right now). but he has some questions about the Super Chips chip for the focus and the MAF, cause(as any ricer modder would do) he runs out and finds info on the Vte.......... i mean Zetec "Master Monkey" ( ) turbo offered by precision turbos.
(which this should tell you how bad ass the guy is, he has never even dreamed of working on a focus, but in the fifteen minutes that i was talking with him he found all the necessary parts, cheap! i mean in minutes he found sites it took me weeks to, dare i say it i love this man! in a totally heterosexual way....................... yes heterosexual.) anywho the kicker is the pricing isn't to bad, i was expecting to pay much more, in fact the kit install will only cost about 3700 if i choose not to let him do all the custom exhuast work. bad part about all this tho, he just moved into a new shop, and he is behind bye about 6 weeks. so yea i have to wait for another few weeks if i want it done quickly. so yea, tomorrow it's off to refinance and get that extra 4k.

ok! back to my original question. the MAF and Chip. he wants to know what type of work he'll need to do to the MAF, and i'd figured since we HAVE people here who have done the work themselves, it'd be best to ask the experts, THATS RIGHT! MUTTLEE TIN WB! and maybe the Buick La Sabre Princess of Lower Alabama to, i need any and all input on anybody who has turbo their SPI, and i will email a link of this thread to him, so feel free to use any technical terms necessary i'm not the one who needs to understand it. him is , thanx guys buh bye!

Arrrr, I'll make ya walk teh plank!
driiiiiiifffftt!

Last edited by Tetsuo; 09-29-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
tin_maddog
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23749
What I Drive: Pitch Black SPI, b!tches!

FF Reputation: 4 tin_maddog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Well, if he ran off and found info on a Zetec, there is a chance that any other parts (internals, possibly, if you expect to hit 275 +hp) may have been from a Zetec also.

Is he going to tune for you, too? If not, then all he needs to worry about when it comes to a chip and MAFS is the diameter of the housing of the MAFS. I got an SVTF MAFS w/ a CFM IAT divorce kit. The SVT MAFS has the exact same O.D. as our stocker, so that doesn't matter.

Honestly, I think you may be getting ripped. Him knowing all the junk is great, but he doesn't need to know anything except the proper I.D. of the piping to bolt on. If he doesn't do custom intake work, what is he doing for $3700? I mean, what manifold? Most expensive one for us is the J.G.S. at a couple hun per.

I got the RS mani (though, I have fan clearance issues) for $75.00 plus $75.00 shipping.

What turbo? I don't know what turbos go for these days, but I got one (internal wastegate to boot) w/ a 2 year warranty for $200.00

Blow Off Valve = $30.00

SVTF MAFS = $50.00 (usually go for $70 or so, new for $90),

IAT divorce kit = ($70.00) Injectors = $200 (can be had if not flow matched, for $150.00)

Piping = well, I got ripped off and learned my lesson that it can be had for stoopid cheap if you don't jump at the first opportunity.

If you are going to pay someone $3700 to build you a turbo kit w/o intake (which, if he really meant intake, is just one tube off of the turbo), then you'd BETTER be getting all polished, TiAL parts. One big turbo (to get you to 250 w/o alot of other work is going to require ALOT of boost, methinks), and mandrel bends on whatever piping you do get.

Is this intercooled?

uberSPI

Old 09-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
UMDivX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8261
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid metalic grey ZX3 S2

FF Reputation: 1 UMDivX Good Standing Member
here some of my links of info I put together:

http://homepage.duluthmn.com/~umdivx...d%20Guide.html

http://homepage.duluthmn.com/~umdivx...rts%20list.htm

http://homepage.duluthmn.com/~umdivx...ice%20list.htm

For the injectors email this guy: Motorcraftparts@aol.com he has the 39# EV6 Ford Motorsport injectors which will work with our cars, 4 of them are $124.96 which includes shipping

for the MAF i picked up a 70mm MAF from a 2002 Crown Vic, which has the 4.6 l V8, that engine uses 8 19# injectors, our cars will be using 4 39# injectors, what is nice is that MAFs work on voltage and nothing else, so the voltage required to push 8 19# injectors at the right pulse, is the same to push 4 39# injectors, so with out any tuning with a chip you can install the 39# injectors and the MAF from the crown vic and drive away with out any issues, that is why you see so many Pro-M or other MAFs in teh forsale thread saying they are calibrated for 42# injectors, they are re-calibrated for 4 42# injectors for those zetec monkeys, with the above setup I talked about no re-calibration is needed, oh and the crown vic MAF comes with a seperate AIT (temp) sensor, so no need for the AIT divorse kit, oh and the best part about it is that I picked up that 4.6l v8 crown vic MAF for $13 from the local bone yard.

Also I too think $3700 is a bit expensive for something that does not include the piping.

Does the higher quote of $4800 include things like the intake (cold side) piping, the charge pipe (hot side) piping, the down pipe, the dump pipe, all the flanges needed for oil feed and returns? the braded oil lines, the flanges for the down pipe, the flanges for the manifold (if he is making it)?

If you really want to find a good tuning shop, they will have lazer and water jet cutters which can make any flange that you will need for this project, granded the flanges can be bought online but I've found that many tuner shops that can make their own flanges already know what they are doing, and will do it the right way the first time.

If your willing to spend $4800 I'd recomend you take a week off of work, drive the car up to Minnesota and I will hook you up with the shop I am working with, they are looking for a test guinie pig of sorts for making a kit for the focus. They do tons of work on VW's and Honda's and Scoobies, but not much on the ford side of things but thanks to me and a couple other focus lovers they are looking to create a kit for the focus and start some what mass producing it, which actually might be a good thing for us SPIers that want a custom turbo kit.

- Josh

Old 09-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Tetsuo
Focus Fanatic

the work he's doing includes everything. the only thing i needed to know was about how to deal with the MAF and Chip, he said he didn't exactly know how to regulate the fuel flow, or something along those lines....... but then again i'm not exactly sure what he meant

and yes he is going to tune the chip for me, he asked me something about the SCT being good for the setup he's trying. i'll part the invoice he gave me later on
driiiiiiifffftt!

Last edited by Tetsuo; 09-29-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
tin_maddog
Focus Addict

If he doesn't know all this, then I'd have him do all the labor/piping/etc, but get an experienced tuner.

uberSPI

Old 09-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Tetsuo
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by UMDivX
here some of my links of info I put together:

http://homepage.duluthmn.com/~umdivx...d%20Guide.html

http://homepage.duluthmn.com/~umdivx...rts%20list.htm

http://homepage.duluthmn.com/~umdivx...ice%20list.htm

For the injectors email this guy: Motorcraftparts@aol.com he has the 39# EV6 Ford Motorsport injectors which will work with our cars, 4 of them are $124.96 which includes shipping

for the MAF i picked up a 70mm MAF from a 2002 Crown Vic, which has the 4.6 l V8, that engine uses 8 19# injectors, our cars will be using 4 39# injectors, what is nice is that MAFs work on voltage and nothing else, so the voltage required to push 8 19# injectors at the right pulse, is the same to push 4 39# injectors, so with out any tuning with a chip you can install the 39# injectors and the MAF from the crown vic and drive away with out any issues, that is why you see so many Pro-M or other MAFs in teh forsale thread saying they are calibrated for 42# injectors, they are re-calibrated for 4 42# injectors for those zetec monkeys, with the above setup I talked about no re-calibration is needed, oh and the crown vic MAF comes with a seperate AIT (temp) sensor, so no need for the AIT divorse kit, oh and the best part about it is that I picked up that 4.6l v8 crown vic MAF for $13 from the local bone yard.

Also I too think $3700 is a bit expensive for something that does not include the piping.

Does the higher quote of $4800 include things like the intake (cold side) piping, the charge pipe (hot side) piping, the down pipe, the dump pipe, all the flanges needed for oil feed and returns? the braded oil lines, the flanges for the down pipe, the flanges for the manifold (if he is making it)?

If you really want to find a good tuning shop, they will have lazer and water jet cutters which can make any flange that you will need for this project, granded the flanges can be bought online but I've found that many tuner shops that can make their own flanges already know what they are doing, and will do it the right way the first time.

If your willing to spend $4800 I'd recomend you take a week off of work, drive the car up to Minnesota and I will hook you up with the shop I am working with, they are looking for a test guinie pig of sorts for making a kit for the focus. They do tons of work on VW's and Honda's and Scoobies, but not much on the ford side of things but thanks to me and a couple other focus lovers they are looking to create a kit for the focus and start some what mass producing it, which actually might be a good thing for us SPIers that want a custom turbo kit.

- Josh
i meant exhaust, he's charging me 1200 for that

here's the invoice

Garret GT28RS Turbo 1100
Precision AS1021 350hp Intercooler 250
Custom Exhaust Manifold for focus, including flanges and materials 1200
custom stainless steel downpipe inculding materials 475
custom intercooler piping 450
intercooler piping materials (aluminum), couplers, and clamps 150
Oil feed and Return lines 125
Install turbo, mainfold, downpipe, intercooler, and oil lines 450
TiAL Blow Off Valve 240

i think thats pretty fair.........
driiiiiiifffftt!

Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Tetsuo
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by tin_maddog
If he doesn't know all this, then I'd have him do all the labor/piping/etc, but get an experienced tuner.
it's not that he doesn't, he works on imports, not domestics and specifically not a focus, he doesn't want to take a stab at it without out knowing fully what he's getting into, he explained to me a number of things, but i'm was like "huh?" so i just needed some input on it, i'll refer him to this thread.
driiiiiiifffftt!

Old 09-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
UMDivX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8261
What I Drive: 2001 Liquid metalic grey ZX3 S2

FF Reputation: 1 UMDivX Good Standing Member
^^^^^^

+10

Tuning in the most important part of the setup, you can have a great install but a shitty tuner will [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* everything up

I'd rather have a shitty install, with a weaker turbo and a great tune over anything that doesnt have a good tune.

See if you can find an expereinced Mustang shop that deals with Diablo, Diablo is a great chip, just their pre-packaged chips are horse crap, the funny thing is that when you tune a car no matter what chip you use its still changing the same sets of information on the ECU so there is really no enherit differences between the two chips, other than their pre-programed chips, dyno tuned they are the same.

So I would honestly have him do the kit un-tuned, trailer the car to a dyno shop that specializes in Fords, specifically a mustang and go from there.

- Josh

Old 09-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Tetsuo
Focus Fanatic

i'll let him do the kit and go from there. he had 2 civics(i think) , a prelude, and a 300zx in shop when i went to see him. they gave me a very good report on his ability to tune, so i'm not really worried about that, and it seems that i may have made it seem like he didn't know what he was talking about , because he justed wanted to know if there was a better chip for this setup out there than the SCT............

ah well, i'll keep ya posted.........

btw +10 is?
driiiiiiifffftt!

Last edited by Tetsuo; 09-29-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
tin_maddog
Focus Addict

+10 means he agrees with what I said about tuning, +10.

Well, some of those numbers seem fair, but others don't. I don't think ANY custom manifold for ANY car is worth $1200, though.

uberSPI

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks