Questions about camber kit/if i need it/ is my suspension ok? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
sexy2002svt
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Question Questions about camber kit/if i need it/ is my suspension ok?

Ok, well start out at the beginning...........i droped my car with the H&R coilovers, never got it alligned (yes, i know how dumb that was, now.....) raised it and droped it a couple times (mostly for summer/winter) and finally the fact that i never had an alignment caught up to me when my friend noticed that the inside of one of my tires was worn down severly, to the point where the metal wires were poking out the side.............. i couldn't really tell, and no passerby could really see it because it was on the inside, and the only way that he saw it was because we were under the car doing something to it...........so i had to drive it like that for a while, untill i got money for tires....so when i was driving with it like that, it would pull to the right pretty hard (the side that the messed up tire was on) so that i was basically fighting it to drive her down the road...........then i finally got money to get all new tires (BFgoodrich KDW 2's) and an alignment.............but i also went ahead and bought camber kits for the front and the rear of my car, just to be safe, and because of the pulling, i figured that my camber was pretty messed up so i needed them...........so i go ahead and get the tires and the alignment done (w/o the camber kits, because i bought those a little later) and it drove pretty straight, not pulling to any side or anything like that.............so what i figured than was that it wasn't so much that the alignment was pulling me to the side, it was the fact that that side of the tire was so worn down, because of it not being properly aligned that it was causing the car to pull..........so now i've been driving around w/o the kit for a while, can't remember exactly when, and haven't noticed any un even tire wear, or any pulling to either side............so i was guessing that i didn't need the camber kits at all...............so then the other day someone hits me outside of my house and to my luck it was a hit and run............ so the way that they hit me was that they broke my left mirror, and because of the way that my wheel was turned, scraped up my rim, and ended up causing me to have to get it aligned again.............I didn't really notice that i needed the realignment till i was driving down the road maybe the next day or so, and noticed that i had to keep my wheel turned like 10 degrees to the left to keep her going straight.............so basically i got her aligned on monday and i got that little print out sheet that they give you with all the specs, and i notice, of course that my drivers side front rim was Fed up! but i also noticed that some of the other tires were off by maybe a couple tenths of degrees, and i was bascially wondering if this was normal for a cars alignment to be a little off after quite a bit of driving/pot holes, etc... or if they camber kit could help me out, and if i should go ahead and get those put on.............i'll go ahead and post the measurements:

Before:
Left Front (one that was hit): Right Front:
Camber:-2.1 Camber:-1.8
Caster:2.6 Caster: 2.6
Toe:0.85 Toe: -0.49
Front:
Total Toe: 0.37
Steer Ahead: 0.67
Left Rear: Right Rear:
Camber: -1.8 Camber:-2.2
Toe:0.13 Toe:0.09
Rear:
Total Toe: 0.22
Thrust Angle: 0.02
After:
Left Front: Right Front:
Camber:-2.0 Camber:-1.7
Caster:2.5 Caster:2.5
Toe:-0.06 Toe:-0.01
Front:
Total Toe:-0.06
Steer Ahead:-0.02
Left Rear: Right Rear:
Camber:-1.8 Camber:-2.1
Toe:0.08 Toe:0.08
Rear:
Total Toe:0.16
Thrust Angle:0.00

Ok, wow that was alot of typing.................so basically do you guys think i need my camber kit? Are those differences anything to be worried about?(On the un hit tires) I know that was alot of reading, and I know i would have probablly skipped this post because i don't like to read so much lol.............so i really appreciate any help i can get on this situation............thanks,

chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
sexy2002svt
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
ok, and i just realized i spent alot of time doing those stuipd measurements the way that they have them here on the sheet, and they didn't even come out right, so i know it looks confusing now...............if you have questions on any of the numbers ask me and i'll be happy to tell...............
Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
You're pretty close to spec, and closer side to side than I am.
FWIW, here's the factory specs:

Front:
Camber: -1.8 to +0.7
Caster: 2.0 to 4.1
Toe: -.015 to 0.00

Rear:
Camber: -2.3 to 0.3
Toe: 0.08 to 0.23
Old 09-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Its within spec but kinda sloppy. A decent tech will get it within a tenth side to side. Having the side to side measurements as even as possible is the ultimate goal.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by thefrush
FR
Toe: 1/8" toe out

FL
Toe: 1/8" toe out
You're running 1/4" total toe out?
Currently I'm at 1/16" each side, for total of 1/8".
That's scary enough (likes to dart from side to side) on "rutted" roads,
I can't imagine 1/4" on the street.
Sure works great on the track though.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
PDQEagle
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9356
What I Drive: 03 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 PDQEagle Great Standing Member
I've never seen a sentence that long. I got lost
Old 10-05-2005, 04:29 AM   #7
island_boy49
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12848
What I Drive: Black 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 island_boy49 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
so what is toe? how to you adjust that? is there a kit to get? if so which one

i need to get my car aligned b/c i dropped my car and i didnt align it.. also i have lots of camber on the rear /--\ its like that.. its dropped w/ tein ss springs.. i believe its about a 2 in drop. also, i was looking to get the progress camber kit, at newedgeperformance ..is it worth it for the front? or should i just get the rear ones?

Check Out the New Hawaii Forum
Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
There is no kit to adjust toe settings. Toe adjustment is built into the car, example tie rods in the front. For a long time it was the only spec that was adjustable. Toe is the direction your wheel and tire are pointed when moving forward. They can point toward the center of the car (toe in) or toward the outside of the car (toe out) or neutral (straight). It used to be that having all four tires perfectly parallel and pointing straight was the common spec. Now having small amounts of toe in or toe out (both front and rear) helps improve the handling characteristics of the car. Most settings are measured in hundreths of an inch. For example, a SVT's front toe is between a range of -0.07 (toe in) to 0.00 (straight ahead). Rear toe is +0.04 to +0.11 (toe out).

By comparison you can see that thefrush's front toe out is at .125 (1/8th inch). With that setting on a freeway you wouldn't want to sneeze as it would result in an instant lane change. Cars are very sensitive to big changes in toe. They get very responsive to the point of being squirrelly. You have to be alert all the times as small steering wheel movements get instantaneous results. This desirable on a solo course and not so good if your car is primarily a highway cruiser.

Bookmarks & Social Networks