how do you fill a mtx-75 with fluid?!!!! help please!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #11
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by qweesy
Update - January 2003
The shift feel in my 2000 Focus had become less positive than when I originally replaced the OEM fluid. Sometimes I would think I would be in-gear whereas in fact I hadn't quite slotted the lever home and when lifting the clutch the lever hwould pop out back into neutral. While researching what to do, I found that Ford had issued a service bulletin advising their service departments that a new synthetic gear oil was available from Ford and was to be used in all MTX-75 applications from that point forward. The new oil has a part number of XT-M5-QS and is priced (at my local dealer, anyway) at an outrageous $15/quart. Still, if it does the job, it shouldn't ever need replacing.
Initial impressions after replacing the Redline D4 with the Ford oil was that the shifts were much more positive. I'll update this web page with more long-term information in a few months. Update - April 2003. Wow, what a difference the Ford oil makes. If you are running the OEM tranny oil on a 2000 or 2001 Focus or you've replaced the OEM oil with something else, give the new Ford fluid a try ASAP. The shifts are now much more positive and I haven't had a single missed shift since I started using the Ford oil.
Introduction
The gearshift on the MTX-75 manual transmission fitted to my 2000 Focus ZX3 has been somewhat notchy ever since it was new. The action did improve slightly as the mileage increased, but it was never particularly smooth. I have previously had good results with Redline's products on my MR2, so I figured I'd try the appropriate Redline synthetic fluid on the Focus.
While my MR2 required a fairly conventional manual transmission oil, the Focus owners' manual specifies a MERCON ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for the MTX-75 manual transmission fitted to the Zetec-E engine. The appropriate replacement fluid from Redline is named “D4 ATF”. This is a fully synthetic fluid that meets Dexron II, Dexron III, Mercon and Mercon V specifications. I used this fluid on my Focus and it made a big difference in the quality of the shift action. Almost all of the notchiness is gone, even when the car is cold, and the engagement of each gear is now much more positive. The occasional problem I had when trying to select third gear have completely disappeared. In short, I highly recommend this modification!
You probably won't find Redline's products in your local auto parts store. I ordered mine over the Web from Performance Products and Supply. Their service was great and I'd recommend them. If you order through them on their web site you can enter the dealer code ‘675421’ to obtain an extra 10% discount. The total cost for my order after shipping was $23.54 for three quarts. Thanks to PP&S for offering this discount.
Applicability
I have a US-spec 2000 Focus ZX3. This car has a 2.0 Zetec-E engine and the MTX-75 manual transmission. These directions may be applicable to other vehicles fitted with the same transmission, but please confirm this before trying it on your vehicle. Note in particular that the IB5 transmission fitted to the base Focus with the SPI engine requires a different fluid.
Tools/Parts Required
· Two or three quarts of gear oil. Note that two quarts was enough for my Focus, but the specified dry capacity is 2.1 quarts, so it is possible you will need the extra 0.1 quart. It is unlikely, however, since it is almost impossible to drain every single drop of the old fluid out of the transmission, but if you like to err on the safe side, order three quarts. If you are buying it locally you can always return the spare quart if it is unopened.
· 8mm allen wrench for the fill and drain plugs.
· At least two feet of clear plastic tubing, the largest diameter you can get that is no larger than about 15mm outside diameter (otherwise it won't fit into the fill hole).
· A funnel that you can tape to the plastic tubing. Alternatively you can go the high-tech route and buy a funnel with integrated tube. Just make sure the end of the tube is no more than 15mm in diameter.
· Oil drain pan with enough capacity for up to 2.1 quarts of the old oil.
Directions
A word of caution: make sure you start this procedure with the engine cold, unless you like the feel of hot transmission oil burning your hands.
1. Firstly, you need to make sure that you can get the transmission fill plug off before you remove the drain plug. If you remove the drain plug only to later find that the fill plug won't budge you'll be stuck with a Focus with no transmission oil. So the fill plug comes first. The fill plug is located on the front side of the transmission casing and is quite obvious if you look under the front bumper. See Photo 1. Use the 8mm allen wrench to break it loose.
Photo 1
2. Assuming the fill plug came out without a problem, you now need to remove the drain plug and drain out the old transmission fluid. Jack up the front of the car only if it is necessary (it almost certainly will be), since you'll need it level when you refill the transmission later. Position your drain pan under the drain plug and remove the plug with the same 8mm allen wrench you used for the fill plug. The drain plug is somewhat hidden between some strengthening ribs on the transmission casing, but you should see it if you look towards the back of the transmission, near the rear engine mount. See Photo 2 for the exact location.
Photo 2
3. Wait for the old oil to stop dripping out of the tranmission. I left it for at least an hour at this point.
4. Clean up any spilled oil and find the drain plug that probably fell into the drain pan. Clean around the drain hole and replace the drain plug. The official torque figure for the drain plug is 33 lb-ft, but I have no idea how anyone could use a torque wrench on the plug, since it is tucked in between the ribs on the transmission casing. Make sure it is tight, but don't overdo it.
5. If you had to jack the rear of the car up in order to drain the old oil, you now need to lower it back down, since it is important for the car to be level for the fill procedure.
6. If you are using a funnel-and-plastic-tube device to fill the transmission, tape the tube to the end of the funnel using duct tape or similar. It doesn't need to look pretty, just as long as it doesn't leak for a few minutes. See Photo 3 for my finely engineered example. The red stuff half-way down the tube in this photo is some of the Redline D4 ATF - I took this photo after I had completed the fluid change.
Photo 3
7. Drop the end of the plastic tube down through the engine compartment by the air intake, just in front of the battery. If you look under the car you should see it appear somewhere in the region of the transmission. Grab the end of the tube and insert it into the fill hole. I managed to insert about five or six inches of the tube until I hit anything inside the transmission.
7. Slowly pour two quarts of Redline D4 ATF into the funnel. See Photo 4. Check periodically that the end of the tube hasn't fallen out of the fill hole and that you're not just funnelling the fluid onto the floor...
Photo 4
8. After you've poured two quarts into the tranmission, remove the tube from the fill hole and try to gauge how far below the hole the fluid level is. This is why it is important to have the car level at this point. The fluid should be between 0 and 5mm below the fill hole (5mm is about ¼ of an inch). If you can't judge the level you can just keep on filling the tranmission until the fluid starts to drip out of the fill hole. It should take no more than 2.1 quarts though. If you find you need to add more than this amount you probably do not have the car level. Do not add too much fluid!
8. Remove the plastic tube and replace the fill plug. Torque to 33 lb-ft.
9. Clean up and go for a drive. Check periodically after installation that there are no leaks and that neither plug is working its way loose. Enjoy the nice improvement in shift feel.
Where are these photo's you keep referencing ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #12
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Ok, I changed out my tranny fluid and took some pics that will hopefully help out someone later.

I used Amsoil Synthetic ATF and it's made a difference in smoother shifting.
My car is a 2003 ZX3 and I believe it came with the Ford Synthetic MTF but it's always felt kind of notchy.
With the Amsoil, it's still a little bit notchy but it definitely shifts a lot smoother.
I paid $8.60 a quart at my local GI Joe Sports and Auto store.

I used a 15inch funnel with a flexible tube to fill the tranny fluid.
It was a little short but I made it work by shoving the funnel in a little into the engine bay.
If you can find a 20inch or longer flexible funnel, you may want to purchase it.

Here's the funnel shoved into the engine bay.

Funnel inserted in to tranny fill plug.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Tranny fluid used and funnel.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
BlueZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12600
What I Drive: Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 BlueZetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
very good.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #15
mr.squatch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4112
What I Drive: 02 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mr.squatch Good Standing Member
haha great pics.

g
Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #16
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 235,208, Level 100
Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Funnel? I thought that was a beer bong???
Old 12-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #17
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

Points 3,114, Level 34
Points: 3,114, Level: 34 Points: 3,114, Level: 34 Points: 3,114, Level: 34
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
hey guys my bad im in iraq now i know the pics are on my comp somewhere ill have to find it when i do ill post it
Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #18
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Be careful over in the sand !!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #19
medic42285
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17130
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 medic42285 Good Standing Member
plugs are pieces of ..... ahh, i stripped the drain plug....what the hell is the plug made out of? its definitely a lot softer than my wrench
Old 01-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #20
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
I will bet your wrench didn't fit properly... You may be able to back it out using a blade screwdriver as a wedge, Have a new plug on hand before you do it, as you will probably mangle it, getting it out..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.