Hypothetical Boost - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
dameon81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24572
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZX3 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 dameon81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hypothetical Boost

Ok.. I seriously crave boost like a crackhead needs his next fix. So Here's a little bit of a poll/hypothetical question, so i can gauge whether this is feisable or not.

Two Parter (from a rookie), so bear with me.

1) For the boosted Foci Owners: At approximately what mileage/age did you boost your Foci?

2) Here's the hypothetical part: At what mileage is it no longer wise to add boost?

A little explination: Got my car used to replace a wrecked car, and fell in love with her (01 5sp ZX3). Currently at about 69k. Boost wouldnt even be an option till at least 80k or so, due to budget constraints (ie, Im Broke ). I seriously want to boost my car, because as much as I love it.. i want something a little quicker. Its stock at the moment, and before i boost, id throw on a TB, Exhaust, Better Intake, Possible Chip, and Possibly a mild cam, etc.. basic bolt-ons and other work possibly. Then, nothing extreme in the boost department, turbo, running moderately low boost (I was thinking around 9psi), intercooled, with a relatively small turbo that spools quick, looking for around 200-220 at the wheels possibly with good low end. nothing outrageous, just solid numbers. More street than anything.

Does this seem feisable on a car that would have 80k+ miles? Would a rebuild be in order first? Obviously, i would have the engine fully checked out before attempting it.

As i said.. currently its in the Hypothetical Stages. Lemme know what you think, rants, raves, thoughts, etc. Info greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

My ZX3 Is my Problem Child & We have a love/hate relationship. Currently we're back to "Like".
Zetec Crew #263
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
finalley
Focus Addict

Fan#: 386
What I Drive: 04SVTF, 03SVTF,08F150 4x4, 2013ST3

Points 1,311, Level 20
Points: 1,311, Level: 20 Points: 1,311, Level: 20 Points: 1,311, Level: 20
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 finalley Good Standing Member
1). I had 4K on my 02zx5 when I put the JRSC on it.... I had 1500 miles on my 04SVTF when I turbo'd.... why wait till it gets wornout...

2). No longer wise to boost when you're to weak to turn the key......
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Well, I have a 2003 ZX3 with 45K miles and I'm about to install the JRSC+BBK.

I've had the car since it had 4 miles on the odometer and have taken very good care of my car and perform regular maintenance.

The car still runs like it's new.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
oldmansturbo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 18937
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 oldmansturbo Good Standing Member
Mine had 84,000 on it when the turbo went on, now at 89,000 and no issues. I do restrict it to 7 psi due to the age of the motor. Every thing was in good shape before the turbo was put on and at almost 200 ft-lbs torque at the wheel, it works quite well in every day traffic.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
TSnedSi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26182
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TSnedSi Good Standing Member
9psi would probly be a little high

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.