How to: Paint your Headlights 2005 - Page 33 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #321
bandita52
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77097
What I Drive: 2005 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 bandita52 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looks great. im thinking of doing that to mine since i have hid's for my head lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #322
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
really, the question is whether you can spray the inside of the lense without causing major banding. You may want to check your pattern with a piece of cardstock before you commit.
Just my 2 cents!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 AM   #323
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
really, the question is whether you can spray the inside of the lense without causing major banding. You may want to check your pattern with a piece of cardstock before you commit.
Just my 2 cents!
i raced R/C cars for several years, the high end ones. They come with clear plexan bodys that you paint from the inside and they take a beating and the paint always looks great. You never have to shoot any clear because the body is already a shiny clear. I have however tried the window tint stuff for the lexan and it was pretty hard. The tint paint i found to be hard to see as its shoots on. It was very easy to spray it on thick and it would run.

This is why i asked to see if anyone had any tips before i get started.

Whats a good brand of spray on tint? If spraying on the inside will work? any other things i need to watch for?

I think just spraying the tint on the outside will need to be dark for how i want it to look but if i spray the inside black first as the original thread starter did i may not need the tint part as dark to get a result i want.

If i ruin it then ill just have an excuse to get the halo ones
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #324
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Ummm. ya! I was not questioning your ability to spray. Only thinking that, a rattle can might not be the way to get this done as you have to shoot from ~12" or risk a run. On my 07 lens the bottom edge is very deep so the best angle I could get would be ~40 <> 60degrees, which would cause banding in my case. Your info does not say what year your Focus is btw.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #325
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Ummm. ya! I was not questioning your ability to spray. Only thinking that, a rattle can might not be the way to get this done as you have to shoot from ~12" or risk a run. On my 07 lens the bottom edge is very deep so the best angle I could get would be ~40 <> 60degrees, which would cause banding in my case. Your info does not say what year your Focus is btw.

Your post wasnt offensive i didnt think i was just wondering about the tint spray. Mine is also an 07, i have to spray from the outside i guess i can. I think it would be better from the inside over time but ive never used the paint so im not real sure.

I guess ill be the first and ill post some images as i go
Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #326
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
Mine is also an 07
Oh! Well that's convenient. Have you had them apart yet? I have a extra set of lights with the sealer removed. looking at them, I think that, if you were to do a loose mask (loose as in not tight on the inside lense. I.E. you get a feather) on the top and spray the bottom 1/3 to almost the darkness desired. Remove the mask and spray the top 2/3 with a tad overlap (inevitable) to the bottom section. I'm just eyeballing it here. I don't think you should abandon the idea just yet as it has obvious benefits.

Add> info: The interior temp of the headlamp assy is ~250f on the bench after 10 minutes with high beams. Check you tint spray to see if it can handle that. The best sealer is what the factory used which is 3M fast cure auto glass urethane. Comes in a caulk tube. Also pick up a band clamp to hold the lense while the sealer sets. You won't have any moisture or other issues.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #327
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

man, mine did not come out good. I ran into some issues.

First i tried the 300 thing first and it melted the bottom of my light assembly and put a haze in my front lens.

The second one i used the cookie sheet and i didnt have problems, putting the assembly directly on the racks is a bad idea. This was my first mistake

Second i didnt leave it in long enough getting in a hurry, the longer you leave it in it seems the softer the seal gets so its easier to pop apart.

doing the night shade on the inside makes it more work if you get it to dark then you have to take it back apart to correct it. Also doing the night shade covered up the whole painting the inside and now my lights are to dark so now it doesnt even function well.

Now im worried about getting a ticket.

If you do this mod do it exactly like the instructions you wont have a problem but i didnt fallow them very good.

USE THE COOKIE SHEET ITS A MUST.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #328
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

It looks ok in the day but i cant see anything at night. I need to get some more glue take them back apart and clean the night shade off the inside.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #329
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

"USE THE COOKIE SHEET ITS A MUST"
either use a cookie sheet, or use broil with a stand-alone temp gauge and the lamp on the lowest rack.
Ya! Those are real dark.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #330
jpdavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64819
What I Drive: 2007 dark grey ses

FF Reputation: 1 jpdavis Good Standing Member
dude great write up! Followed every step and mine turned out great!!ur look great too,i used a flat black on mine but they still look good
JPDavis!! SEDAN REVOLUTION #172

Bookmarks & Social Networks