How to: Paint your Headlights 2005 - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #131
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Anyone know if you can make your headlights vent any better? I'm afraid if I paint my headlights, the black paint will absorb too much heat from the Hoens and melt everything. I know the high temp paint wont melt, but black does absorb more heat than anything. I was figuring DIY'ng a few vent holes in the back but I dont know.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #132
bacarl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31588
What I Drive: 05 InfraRed ST-T

FF Reputation: 5 bacarl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Guys, I'm having almost no luck with seperating the clear lenses. I've spent a couple hours per headlight and the sealer kind of seperates a little bit, but the cover doesn't seem to be giving at all. I've tried prying here there and everywhere, pulling as hard as I can, heating at different temps and times ranging from 180 - 300 degrees and from 5 - 15 minutes. Has anyone had similar problems? Does the sealer seperating mean I'm getting any closer?? I'm about ready to give up at this point before I ruin the lights.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #133
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18053
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 blight0x Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bacarl - Sorry for the crudness of my drawing but it seems like your having alot of trouble breaking the seal. Its a tough project and you almost need to man handle the light to get it apart.. but After you heat it up and pull it out.. I used a flat tip screw driver to penetrate the seal. The clear plastic fits into the black plastic like my drawing.. and the sealent seals the 2 together on the outside of the light and the inside.. your gonna have to drive the screw driver into the sealant, pry the screw driver up and then back into the inside of the light.. I've probably confused you by now.. but take alook that the pictures maybe it'll help..

F2 RS Body Kit | FS SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune | FS Cold Air Intake | FS Stealth Exhaust | VF Engineering Rear & Driver side Engine Mounts | H&R Coilovers | Corbeau CR1 Race Seats | Hella Taillights | 18" Kazera Wheels (Black)

Thanks for bringing my Signature up to Code S2! <3
Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #134
bacarl
Focus Addict

yeah that's what I noticed when I got in there. What's happening though is that I'm prying so hard on the black plastic (trying to get under the clear plastic) that I'm permanently deforming the black plastic, but that inside layer of sealer is still holding firm. I'll have to add sealer now regardless of whether I get them apart or not. Should I keep wrenching on it cus I'm getting close, or just leave it be and give up? Thanks for making the awesome drawing to help me out though!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #135
levelseven

Fan#: 28167
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 1 levelseven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Do it the easy way... put them in the oven for 20mins at 300, and pull them apart.

This is what I did and it worked perfect.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #136
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18053
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 blight0x Good Standing Member
Yea I did the same thing Levelseven.. And bacarl says that he put his in the oven but still cant get them apart.

Any luck yet bacarl?
F2 RS Body Kit | FS SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune | FS Cold Air Intake | FS Stealth Exhaust | VF Engineering Rear & Driver side Engine Mounts | H&R Coilovers | Corbeau CR1 Race Seats | Hella Taillights | 18" Kazera Wheels (Black)

Thanks for bringing my Signature up to Code S2! <3
Old 07-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #137
bacarl
Focus Addict

!!!! IMPORTANT TIPS !!!!

After taking a couple days off on this project, I've finally seperated the lights and am ready for paint. The CORRECT way to do this is to use as little prying as you POSSIBLY can! My first light I heated at 200-250 and pried almost all the way around; the black plastic housing is mangled! I hope to heat it and use pliers to form it back into shape. My second light I heated at 300 (at levelseven's suggestion). It took about three heating cycles (as opposed to like ten cycles for light #1). I poked a screwdriver through in ONE place and once it was seperated, I used only heat and pulling to seperate the halves. The result is a perfect seperation, no mangled housing, and because I heat-cycled flewer times, less "chameleon" damage to the clear plastic. Hopefully anyone interested in this mod can benefit from my mistakes

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #138
levelseven

Fan#: 28167
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 1 levelseven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I am glad you found my method to be usefull
Old 07-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #139
bostonshawn77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35760
What I Drive: 2006 Focus Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 bostonshawn77 Good Standing Member
any way to do this and not get that chameleon effect?

Current Mods: FocusSport Cold Air Intake, 35% Tint, HPD Cooldown 17" Rims, Dunlop Direzza Summer Tires, Alpine 9857 Head Unit, Tinted Tails

Future Mods: Lowering Springs, XCal2 Tune, Exhaust
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #140
haunted_battleship
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20362
What I Drive: 1999/2001 Subaru LGT/Forester

FF Reputation: 1 haunted_battleship Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
lol yea i used a heat gun 350*F (low) an only pried in 2 areas , LOL i know i tried the oven thing first PFFt didnt work for me or my patiance ran out. yes you will have mangled plastic but if your patiant enough you can ReCoNsTuCt the plastic housing , my first thought about my first light was OMFG that looks like a dog attacked it but carful use of the heat gun an some remanufacturing it turned out pretty good . now that i know how they come apprart i can heat it up on the outside only with out the chamealeon effect later on my driver side is a near perfect seperation . 6 hrs per light WOW from removal to finished well worth the hassel i'd say
i started at about 2:30 in the after noon yesterday an finished them both by 3am this morning .

for those of you want to do it GO FOR IT but be prepared for some reconstruction at the end reforming plastic ect.. my personal opinion the silver,black an white cars benifit best fromt his mine is sonic blue an turned out pretty good .

likly the cheapest mod to ever to on a focus ....unless you screw up really bad.

Team Duratec # 42

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.