How to: Paint your Headlights 2005 - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #121
levelseven

Fan#: 28167
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 1 levelseven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by blight0x
Why is there such a problem with the headlights? They are pretty easy to get out.
I agree

It was time consuming but still very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #122
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18053
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 blight0x Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you follow HeelToe's right up step for step you will have NO problems.
F2 RS Body Kit | FS SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune | FS Cold Air Intake | FS Stealth Exhaust | VF Engineering Rear & Driver side Engine Mounts | H&R Coilovers | Corbeau CR1 Race Seats | Hella Taillights | 18" Kazera Wheels (Black)

Thanks for bringing my Signature up to Code S2! <3
Old 05-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #123
daddio69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 35355
What I Drive: 2002 INFRA-RED SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 daddio69 Good Standing Member
i might be on to something here-why not use a pair of clear side markers as a test.thay are sealed the same way the front lamps are and if you mess up on these its only a few bucks to replace-i read and read all of the info on here-while very informative i still was a bit unsure-so i took out my side markers heated up the edges with a heat gun and just used a screw driver to pry the seals apart-this worked great so i traied the same with the lamps and ill be damn if it didnt work as well-just heet up the seal REALLY GOOD and start at the lower corner-let me know what u guys think
Old 05-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #124
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18053
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 blight0x Good Standing Member
DONT USE A HEAT GUN on your headlights. From experiance i recommend that you do not use a heat gun because it only heats small patches of plastic and sealent and you end up really messing up the plastic. Its much better if you use the oven to Heat EVERYTHING.

Daddio69 your heat gun may have worked on the small little corner marker.. but it doesnt work very well for the head light. I got my first headlight apart that way and it looked like shit. The second head light i put in the oven and it was 100 times easier and looked a piss load better.

my 2 cents
F2 RS Body Kit | FS SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune | FS Cold Air Intake | FS Stealth Exhaust | VF Engineering Rear & Driver side Engine Mounts | H&R Coilovers | Corbeau CR1 Race Seats | Hella Taillights | 18" Kazera Wheels (Black)

Thanks for bringing my Signature up to Code S2! <3
Old 05-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #125
brandon0133
1fastfocus05

Fan#: 35345
What I Drive: 2005 zx4,

FF Reputation: 3 brandon0133 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (31)
hey man,,if i can figure out how to show pics i will,,i completed this addition to my headlights...they look awsome...took me like 7 and a half hrs of work to get them done..hard work..but they look awsome..i wanted to do it for awhile but just did not want to take the time to do it...but i was bored and they just looked so plain...now there hot,,painted to match color of my car...looks like there tinted now..but let me tell everyone,,u really dont understand how much work this is till u do it,,the only real hard part was getting the lens off the houseing...and then once u do,,u got to get all the sealer off the lens and then off the houseing,,but its a good upgrade to do...thanks man for making me get off my butt and do it...lol,,bought lowering springs,,waiting till next weekend to install them...check me out later.....http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=76552375
TEAM DURATEC #150
Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #126
PhilMayfield
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34404
What I Drive: 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT

FF Reputation: 4 PhilMayfield Good Standing Member
Im wondering if anyone knows if De-solv-it would work at all in taking the clear plastic piece off. Maybe someone whos done it could post whether its glued, or heat sealed in place? I just noticed that a guy who disassembled his cluster used it.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=81323

Just a thought
Old 06-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #127
nuttypet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30631
What I Drive: 05 Cloud 9 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 nuttypet Good Standing Member
Ok. I finally did it. I just got done painting my headlights. I was sitting on this idea for about three months now, and today I figured, since I had nothing to do, I would give it a shot. Ok everything was very easy, untill I got to removing the clear plastic from the housing. That silicone they put on these headlights is very hard to remove. I found a pretty good method that worked for me. I did the first one in an hour and a half, and the second one I did in 35 minutes after finding out my method. Also removing the silicone from the pieces after they are apart is also very time consuming. So after 6 and a half hours i'm done and I'm waiting for the silicone to cure. Will post pics later after the lights are back on my car
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #128
PhilMayfield
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34404
What I Drive: 2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT

FF Reputation: 4 PhilMayfield Good Standing Member
What method did you come up with for removing the clear plastic?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #129
nuttypet
Focus Enthusiast

I first was trying to take all the silicone off the lens and housing, but I figured out that you have to stick the screwdriver in between the clear plastic and the black housing and pry it apart. I only had to heat the headlamp up twice to remove the plastic. The first headlamp I heated up about 5 times.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #130
nuttypet
Focus Enthusiast

Seems like the obvious thing to do, but I was afraid at first to do it. But it was taking so long I figured what the hell.

Bookmarks & Social Networks