How to: Paint your Headlights 2005 - Page 12 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #111
HeelToe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27666
What I Drive: 05 CD Silver ST

FF Reputation: 3 HeelToe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Quote:
Originally posted by wwturnerjr
It's been six months since this mod was first posted. I'm just wondering if anyone who completed the mod has had any problems with their lights since the install? Any cracking or discoloration from heating the lights in the oven?
Sorry don't check up on the thread that much. But no I haven't see any cracking, fading, or discoloration of the clear plastic. I have however have noticed a spot where the black paint has come off. This is cause I should have done 2 things. 1.) Scuffed up the chrome like its stated in my how-to. and B.) Used a clear coat to protect the paint. I've tried addingn that to my instructions but its to old and only a mod can make the changes to my original post.

-Matt
ST Crew #26

We would have ruled it as an accidental shooting but you reloaded... twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #112
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I scuffed up my chrome with a pad, but I didn't clearcoat because they are sealed and won't now get touched.....I also wanted to avoid that spraycan gloss look to them so they look factory.

The paint is sticking well, but I will post up after a couple of 100+ degree days in the next month or two.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #113
paulhaskew
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22729
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ST

FF Reputation: 3 paulhaskew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I need someones help to do this mod... :(
Motive Racing - [> = my friend!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #114
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18053
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 blight0x Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What kind of help would you like?
F2 RS Body Kit | FS SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune | FS Cold Air Intake | FS Stealth Exhaust | VF Engineering Rear & Driver side Engine Mounts | H&R Coilovers | Corbeau CR1 Race Seats | Hella Taillights | 18" Kazera Wheels (Black)

Thanks for bringing my Signature up to Code S2! <3
Old 04-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #115
madison355
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 34597
What I Drive: 06, CD Silver, ZX3, SE

FF Reputation: 1 madison355 Good Standing Member
You don't need to take the screw in the fender out, you can pop the light out of it, it's only snapped in there, the screw holds the snap that the light uses in there. Anyway beats jacking your car up, just wanted to share that, hope yours goes as smoothly.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #116
The Mailman 666
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27054
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5 SES stick, Fully loaded with Charcoal leather and black paint

FF Reputation: 1 The Mailman 666 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Can you not use a razor blade to cut the seal? I am seriously considering this mod in the next month or so but am kind of freaked about putting my lights in the oven.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #117
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

You'll just end up cutting yourself with a razorblade.. Your welcome to try but i promise you that you will give up before you get anywhere.. Honestly the oven is the best way to go.
F2 RS Body Kit | FS SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune | FS Cold Air Intake | FS Stealth Exhaust | VF Engineering Rear & Driver side Engine Mounts | H&R Coilovers | Corbeau CR1 Race Seats | Hella Taillights | 18" Kazera Wheels (Black)

Old 05-13-2006, 02:14 AM   #118
Kaduku
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21422
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 Liquid Grey Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 Kaduku Good Standing Member
First off, I noticed HeelToe moved away from all of us so he can't come help me....

Second, madison355, are you saying the screw UNDERNEATH the car? the 3rd bolt, that's holding the light on, doesnt need to be un screwed? You can just yank it out?

Japanese Engine, European Model, American Designed, Mexican made, Michigan/Wisconsin Manufactured = FORD FOCUS
Old 05-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #119
levelseven

Fan#: 28167
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 1 levelseven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
There is no way you are going to yank it out with the last bolt in the fender still attached .

I read that post before I did mine and tried it.... to say the least im a strong guy and it didnít even budge.

Anyways I thought I would post my experience with the 05 headlight mod.

Once I had the headlights removed from the car I set the oven to 200 and popped the headlights in for 15 mins. Once out of the oven I tried to pry them apart with a screwdriver, after about 4 tryís of heating (15mins) then prying (5mins) I started to get a little frustrated...
So I cranked up the oven to 300 and put them in for 10 mins. Once out of the oven I decided to use sheer force and it paid off big time. I grabbed the corner-mounting piece (the little piece that hangs off the bottom of the light closet to the grille) and grabbed a hold of the lens right next to it and pulled using 200% of my strength and BAM! They popped apart in 5 seconds!!! No prying needed.

Once apart I taped off the turn signal reflector then scuffed up the rest of the chrome with the rough side of a dry dish sponge. Then I painted it using Krylon gloss black (about 3 coats).
Then I cleaned the lens with some detailer grade glass cleaning products and worked fantastic.

The final stage was to grab some black window-caulking load up the grooves with it and piece the lights back together, tape them and wait.

I am very happy with the final product now, but I have to say that at first I was in shock and wasnít sure if I liked them or not.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #120
blight0x
Focus Enthusiast

Why is there such a problem with the headlights? They are pretty easy to get out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks