orp sound level - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-20-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
bob11187
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27041
What I Drive: 2002 black svt

FF Reputation: 1 bob11187 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
orp sound level

I am contimplating buying an orp and was wondering what kind of sound i can expect. Most importantly will it be insanely loud at highway speeds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
JohnMichael
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I personally think they sound aweful...and they smell really bad when the car is running. And if you get caught running them, you will pay out the butthole in fines... did I mention that they sound like poo?

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
RedZx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2289
What I Drive: 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 RedZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i don't have an svt, just a zx3, but i had an orp... first off, it is insanely tooooo loud. you'll piss off all of your neighbors for sure... it sounds great, just really loud.... the smell is tolerable, really nothing to worry about... for me, i sacrificed the small gain, and just put the stock cat pipe back on because i literally could not hold a conversation with someone else in the car, it was just too loud. do yourself a favor, stay comfortable, and don't do it unless you've got other mods that will really make it worth it...just my 2 cents.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
R00ST650
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I dont agree with JohnMichael, I think the ORP has a very nice distinct sound. It isnt the NICEST sounding exhaust ever, but I would do it over again in a heartbeat, as my borla/orp combo sounds far superior to about 75% of the aftermarket exhaust I hear on 4 cylinders.

with my lunchbox removed, a borla XPS muffler welded in place of the stocker (with long stock resonator still in place) and the orp, It is really not all that loud. When I was first looking into them I was worried about how loud it would be, but was pleasantly surprised at what I found after the install. When you do a cold start it sounds like garbage (as mosts exhausts do). Once it warms up you can barely hear the idle more than a stock svt with the borla. It has a nice deep throaty sound from 1k up to 2900, and then from 3k to 3900 it is actually VERY quiet. I dont know why this happened, but it actually works out great for me. I was very worried about cabin sound for highway cruising (I HATE droning exhaust noise) and since I usually am at about 70-75mph on the highway, that is about 3200 rpm, so my exhaust is just slightly louder than stock.

From 4k up to redline, it gets much louder. It is not SUPER loud (dont think open headers on v8's or super loud harleys) but it is not exactly a stealth setup for WOT.

The ORP for the standard focus must make it MUCH louder, as I have heard videos of them, and redzx3 is saying it is actually hard to have a conversation in the car. This is not the case what-so-ever with the svt orp (at least not with my setup). Even at WOT around 5-7k I could still easily talk to my passengers without having to yell or anything.

As for the smell... I have similar smells coming out of our atv's so I am used to it. I guess if you really dont like the smell it can be bad, but since I dont mind it, it dosnt bother me a bit.

Your best bet is to find someone with an ORP and listen to it! Only you can decide if it is too loud for you.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
blacknfastsvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23241
What I Drive: 02 Mustang GT..RIP 03 Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 blacknfastsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
or do it like me and dont risk having a loud car and having cops pulling u over and riskin the fine....just save up some money and get the hiflow cat....should have the same gains and will keep ur car legal on the road.....i know from experience that have an orp is askin cops to look at u or pull u over....just my 02 cents
SVT SQUAD #1 / SVT SQUAD OWNER Best time: 15.5 @ 88.67 mph
Old 09-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
LastRites
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It sounds like a stock car and by that I mean hit up your local redneck oval track and have a listen. Cars that sound like that are fine were it belongs, on the track. Cruising to the mall, picking up the kids, heading to the office.......it sounds like ass for those types of things often called daily driving situations. Most of our SVT's are actually pretty classy cars, don't make them sound like complete rice. Save your cash and spring for the R/T High-flow at least. And yes, the ORP on an SVT smells like it can peel paint. I'll do without.

Unless it's track day

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
JohnMichael
Michael J. Caboose

Fan#: 21469
What I Drive: Black Hemi Ram & Honda Shadow VT600

FF Reputation: 7 JohnMichael Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by blacknfastsvt
or do it like me and dont risk having a loud car and having cops pulling u over and riskin the fine....just save up some money and get the hiflow cat....should have the same gains and will keep ur car legal on the road.....i know from experience that have an orp is askin cops to look at u or pull u over....just my 02 cents
You actually get higher torque #'s at low RPM's with a HFC than with a ORP....

O'er Pirates from the Black of Pitch
Old 09-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
malconsSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4675
What I Drive: 2005 mini cooper S, 1966 mustang

FF Reputation: 1 malconsSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i just cut of my cat to see if i could get performance gains. and it sounded so loud i put it back on haha. yeah if you like a crappy rice sound. like 4 millions bees yelling into a coffee can then its what you want
====SVT SQUAD number #113====

i drive a mini cooper S now. but im still a focus owner at heart

ASK ME ABOUT AN SVT TURBO KIT FOR SALE!! ASKING 2550!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 AM   #9
Daeron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
you don't cut the cat off of an SVT, it's up front between the header and the flexpipe :)

I like the sound of my ORP. Is it too loud? I don't think so, and I drive over 60 miles a day (a lot on the highway). Everyone has their own opinion on what is too loud. My suggestion would be to find someone who has one and listen to it.
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 09-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #10
malconsSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4675
What I Drive: 2005 mini cooper S, 1966 mustang

FF Reputation: 1 malconsSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
man, i was way off...haha
====SVT SQUAD number #113====

i drive a mini cooper S now. but im still a focus owner at heart

ASK ME ABOUT AN SVT TURBO KIT FOR SALE!! ASKING 2550!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks