Other then basic bolt ons... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
sc0tty8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27536
What I Drive: 2k3 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sc0tty8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Other then basic bolt ons...

What makes power on these zetecs?

I ask becasue I want a bit more then stock.

I do not want to spend 3-4k on forced induction and refuse to belive it is the only way...(some on another forum claim it is the only way.

I am thinking ford racing #2 cams, under drive pulley, a 4-2-1 racing header with 2.5" cat back, early 2000 intake with larger tb, and, a cold air intake, possibly a tune to advance the timing a bit.

Thoughts and reactions? At this time, I would like to leave the head alone, possibly next summer if I don't buy a weekend only toy, I may want to add in forced induction, but, at this time, I would like to stay NA, w/o nos.

In the future, I plan to add in LSD, lightweight flywheel, and a stronger cluth(prob when the stock cluth fails).

The car is a 2k3 zx3 zetec 5 speed all stock atm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
focituner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 628
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3 (DKG1)

FF Reputation: 1 focituner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Basicly you are heading in the right direction. Without doing any extensive block work you can see some good gains from the mods you posted about but i think that ther most power will come from the cams, Gears, and some good tuning. Best of luck.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
youve pretty much got it, other than a flex pipe and adjustable cam gears...head work is the next step.

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Old 09-11-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
munkyv22
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4376
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 munkyv22 Good Standing Member
NAWWZZ!

JK

You are going the right way for all motor.

"Honda engines are stamped with the words 'Chuck Norris' on the block, making them much stronger than American engines."
Old 09-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #5
sc0tty8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27536
What I Drive: 2k3 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sc0tty8 Good Standing Member
I will be replacing the flex pipe. I will be doing the exhaust myself. As a v8 guy at heart, I am trying to reduce any chance of a ricey sounding exhaust. Ricey is in the eye of the beholder. I am looking at a larger muff that should hopefully reduce a lot of the riceness. I will prob also pick up the adjustable cam gears while I am at it.

I am looking at a larger muffler from summit racing that is not specifically designed for a sports compact car, this will reduce cost, and, hopefully noise. I will also add in a cut out in the exhasut so if I wish to race, it will be more free flowing. I am really trying to attain the quiet stocker/sleeper look/sound.

Gears are something I thought of, but, since the stock clutch is still holding in there, I figure at this time, I will leave the trans alone all together, and, do it all at once to save on downtime and labor;) I think it will benefit from new collars and blockers at that time $$$

I am glad to hear that I am going in the right direction, I was told on another forum that claimed to be one of the world's largest, that, I did not know what I was talking about and pretty much everything I knew about v8's did not apply to the zetec because the zetec is another animal. We all know all motors benefit from more free flowing exhaust, intake, and a cam. All of these items promote more flow, and, more flow is good for more power.

How high could one raise the compression, and, still expect to run decently on boost? I am thinking if I get a tune, I may get the timing advanced a bit to help pick up on more throttle response and power, but, I know this will have to be undone when I add in boost. I would like to do either the vortech high boost kit or the jrsc big boost kit when/if the time/opportunity arises. I had a previous project car that went horribly array(unknowledgeable me and friends really screwed up), I dreamed too big and bit off more then I could hanlde, so, this time, I am going to do it step by step and the work I can't handle 100% on my own a shop will do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks