Air Silencer Removal - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
03_SVTFoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26814
What I Drive: 05 Red SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 03_SVTFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Air Silencer Removal

Well, last night I was bored and just hanging around the house solo so, I decided to finally take a look at the removal of the airsilencer. Based on my experiences with my mustang when I first got it the air silencer was the first thing to go and now I remember why: It works! Talk about a difference. I noticed that the car climbed quicker and smoother through the revs, didn't seem to bog/lag nearly as much on take-off, and of course there is that added intake noise now. I'm not sure what the end result really amounts to since there were no before and after dyno tests but the butt dyno noticed some difference. When I researched the removal of the air silencer for mustangs there were dyno reports of an honest 5+ WHP. That is why most guys back in the early 5Liter days did the replacement K&N panel filter sans air silencer removal. Anyway, it might not equal a CAI or SR but for a low cost improvement, I can't beat the K&N panel filter with air silencer delete. If, anyone has done this and experienced an improvement, I'd like to hear about it.

#674 of 3985
SOLD
FOR SALE 93LX 5.0: H/C/I/Exhaust/Vortech/IC
481 RWHP/455 RWTQ 5600RPM, pump gas, 11:5 A/F, NO LT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the svt doesn't have an air silencer. the standard zetec engine does, but where it would be on the svt, there is an S shaped snorkle. removing it does absolutely nothing. it's all in your head man, sorry
Old 09-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
03_SVTFoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26814
What I Drive: 05 Red SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 03_SVTFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If not an air silencer then what is it and what purpose does it serve except to quiet the rush of incoming air also known as a restriction within an intake track? I know how they rob HP from a mustang and their removal aids in removing a restriction within the intake track. Any drop in filter or cone filter added to an intake track with an air silencer in place won't do jack! I'm curious then, educate me on the purpose then of the S Snorkel then if not a form of an air silencer. Not saying your wrong just trying to get your point of view.
#674 of 3985
SOLD
FOR SALE 93LX 5.0: H/C/I/Exhaust/Vortech/IC
481 RWHP/455 RWTQ 5600RPM, pump gas, 11:5 A/F, NO LT's
Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
No, it is a silencer. End of discussion. Does it amount to anything measureable? Eh, I wouldn't expect much, if anything. Anyone who tells you it did nothing without a dyno is lying, though. Keep in mind that if it gave you something menial, like say 1 hp, you'll never be able to repeat that gain on the dyno.

That being said, I removed mine because IMO it sounds better than stock, and its not as loud as a SR or CAI (I didn't want the extra noise, really).
Old 09-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

even in ford's workshop manual, when describing the differences between the standard zetec and the svt engine, it says that the air silencer was removed. the S shaped snorkel is simply another hole for the engine to suck air through. it's not as effective as the primary snorkel that goes under the battery and sucks air from the very front of the car, but it was put there to allow extra air in so that the engine could breathe at higher rpms. the reason for the S shape of it is to quiet the amount of noise generated by the extra air going in there. it cancels out some harmonic frequencies so the intake isn't too incredibly loud.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by crazymechanic
even in ford's workshop manual, when describing the differences between the standard zetec and the svt engine, it says that the air silencer was removed. the S shaped snorkel is simply another hole for the engine to suck air through. it's not as effective as the primary snorkel that goes under the battery and sucks air from the very front of the car, but it was put there to allow extra air in so that the engine could breathe at higher rpms. the reason for the S shape of it is to quiet the amount of noise generated by the extra air going in there. it cancels out some harmonic frequencies so the intake isn't too incredibly loud.
Yes, and you just very accurately described a silencer
Old 09-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
mountandriver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13158
What I Drive: blue Chevy Truck,Jeep Rubicon

FF Reputation: 1 mountandriver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I pulled mine out after reading some article probably in th FF mag. but I just don't remember wich one, or somwhare completly different. I couldn't realy tell any noticable difference although. I wonder if anyone has checked IAT with and without the little S dojiggy. I like the sound without it but I suspect there would be lower IAT with it installed becouse it goes toward the crack between the hood and fender,...cooler air maybee??
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by essveetee
Yes, and you just very accurately described a silencer
right, however, if you look at the silencer on the standard zetec, it's a sealed box. most silencers are sealed in a similar way, with only one opening into the intake. with the throttle body open, it creates a low pressure area inside the silencer, which slows the air passing its entrance. this is primarily how a silencer "silences" the intake, and is also the reason that it robs you of power. our S shaped snorkel provides another opening to atmosphere, so the air doesn't slow down at all. the S shape was merely to quiet the dual feed intake box a bit. it is in no way a true silencer because it does not affect performance numbers at all
Old 09-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

You can call it what you want; its name is only a name. You are pretty much correct in how a typical silencer works; the SVT's is more or less 'sound tuning', but it still quiets the intake noise. By varying the cross sectional area and the length of the snorkle, you can tune the sound of the intake...very basic physics. This is where SVT spent part of their time designing our engine. If you ran through some calculations you would see that the resonant frequency of the airbox (w/o the snorkle) is now lower than it was with the snorkel installed. The higher intake frequency is easier to 'hide' among the other engine/exhaust noises, so it almost goes away...hence being silenced.

Now of course, SVT could have also utilized this snorkle to help tune the intake air charge for better fuel atomization and air flow...but you'd need some pretty powerful software and a good education to figure out how true that is.

Bookmarks & Social Networks