does anyone know whats wrong with my car??? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
giantsnyy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14683
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 giantsnyy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
does anyone know whats wrong with my car???

idk...

so far since i bought the car in october of last year... i've spent way too much money repairing the god damn thing and not modding it like i wanted to.

first off... my idle has been rough since day one. i thought it was just how the car ran, however, the car started stalling 2 weeks after buying it. I brought it back to the dealership, throttle body was replaced. Car still has a rough idle, but no more stalling. Call up ford, they say its the nature of the car to have a rough/choppy idle. I called BS on them, they didn't want to hear it. They offer to reprogram the ECU, i accept.

July this year, the idle gets worse. When the brake is applied the wheels start shaking. August, installed Steeda high-flow air intake and replace spark plugs which were improperly gapped and also the wrong size (and were also quite burnt). Also replaced DPFE sensor as well as EGR Valve due to CEL displaying P0402. Idle problem gets a little better.

One week ago. Idle gets rough again, just as bad as before. RPM's start dropping below 500 then instantly kicking back up to around 750 for no reason. Happens at random, mostly after a cold start.

Yesterday. Car stalls braking when someone in front of me stops short and makes a turn without using a turn signal. Lose power to the brakes and am forced to pull the ebrake to stop from hitting him.

Today. Car stalls 3 times in a 15 minute time period. All three times clutch was disengaged and brake was applied. Replaced stock airbox, car no longer stalls however RPMs continue to drop very very low every once in a while. I'm gonna check the car tomorrow on my way to school to see if it stalls.

The car is very tough to start on a cold start, and is worse esp if it hasn't been run for at least 10 hours. When it finally does start, it feels like the motor is about to stall... feels like its gasping for air. Also, the A/C is very unusable. The RPM's do not rise at all when the A/C compressor kicks in... and in the cabin it feels like there is an earthquake outside the damn thing shakes so much.

what should i do??

i'm only 18 and i pay all my bills (inc. car insurance and car payments along with a ton of other stuff) and i only work 3 days a week b/c of college. I can't afford anymore to dump money into repairing this car... it just doesn't seem worth it to keep it anymore. I can't bring it back to ford b/c i already asked and they said they're so backed up i wouldn't have my car for at least 2 weeks. I need a car b/c i go to a commuter college.

does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with my car?

throw me ANYTHING b/c i'm bringing it to a mechanic on friday and i'd like a list of stuff for him to check out.

My car is an 02 ZX3 MTX.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
How many miles are on it?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
giantsnyy
Focus Enthusiast

46,400... i got the car roughly 10,000 miles ago.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
cpyder
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 150
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 cpyder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
First off, sorry to hear about the experiences...

Well, depending on when your car was manufactured you might want to see if you qualify for the Fuel Pump TSB (technical service bulliten).. which means you do not have to pay... but you do have to take it to ford.

I am assumind that you got the car used, and no longer has warranty. Or else you would just take it to the dealer for free.

The rough idel you describe could be anything from your MAF being dirty or messed up to your intake not being secure or a vacuum leak someplace or a missfire. Mine began stalling when the short ram kept slipping off the intake manifold.

My idle also did that too when my alternator was in the process of dieing. Something was happening with the alt that was't having the "smart charge" system kick in fast enough which made the RPM drop then correct itself.

Of course anything anyone lets you know here is not "the answer", just a place to look.
All I can say it good luck and I hope you figure it out... if not, another car I guess.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
y2kpedo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 18519
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 1 y2kpedo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i would take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

my list:
1. fuel filter
2. MAF sensor
3. o2 sensors
4. engine mounts. this happened to my moms contour 2.0 zetec
5. spark plugs

reset the ECU, put most of the parts back to stock, check the TB to see if u can manage the idle to be a bit higher,

i really cant help u much sorry
Old 09-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
cpyder
Focus Fanatic

^^ you cannot really adjust teh idle on newer car like ours... the computer controls it .. even if you play with the idle screw, unless you reprogram (tune) the car to a specific idle.
I believe it should be idleing at aroung 800 or so. Below that, its going to be really rough.

If it were the O2 sensors you would be getting a CEL (check engine light)
Motor mounts would be a good place to look at for the possible cause of the vibration.
Fuel Filter... knew I forgot to mention something. Yeah if thats gunged up then yeah... that might be causing the stall as well, but I figured that would be the first place the dealer should look,,, then again.. its the dealer.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
giantsnyy
Focus Enthusiast

my car (according to the digital tach) idles at no higher than 700. Well... it fluctuates... drops around 645 then up to 700 maybe once in a while 750.

everythings back to stock except the exhaust which i don't have (the car came with an aftermarket exhaust)

i'll def. have them look @ the fuel filter and the engine mounts. I'm just worried its something wrong with the vaccum lines... esp after the brake booster b/c thats when it seems to stall... when the brake is applied.

and i've played with the idle screw... my car is f*ed up... it holds the new idle for a few seconds... then automatically readjusts itself and drops back down.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
cpyder
Focus Fanatic

thats what the computer does....
it learns... and then readjusts back to what it should be. you could turn the idle all the way clock or counter and the computer will manage to calibrate it back to near or around 800.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
casw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19593
What I Drive: 2000 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 casw Good Standing Member
i was having serious idle problems, and i replaced my coil pack. you just replaced your plugs, so check your coil and wires.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #10
m-mavar
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 20516
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 m-mavar Good Standing Member
Well the Fuel Pump "Fuel DElivery Module" is a Service Action not a TSB 03N01 i believe... The fuel pumps can go bad for several reasons... If this happens when brakes are applied my have a vacumn concern check the hoses also some focus' have problems with the coil wire check that... you can also make it relearn the idle by disconnected the battery not a bad idea if you install air intake parts...

Bookmarks & Social Networks