5.0 or svt? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #21
svtfiend
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

Points 1,020, Level 17
Points: 1,020, Level: 17 Points: 1,020, Level: 17 Points: 1,020, Level: 17
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 svtfiend Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
now we see the full picuture here... ya know, the other day i beat a 93 porsche 911 turbo? sure, its turbo was blown, it only had 3 wheels, and the driver had one leg, but i smoked him from a stop and a roll! whats this place coming to?! how old are you kids and who bought you these damn cars?! you don't just go around braging up that you smoked a 5.0 to a bunch of people who own the same car as you, and no doubt at least a few of us have owned one, if not a few 5.0s in their life. there were in fact very few cars in the late 80's and that could run 14 seconds or under in the 1/4 with little or no modifications. one was the turbo buick regal, and coming in at a close second was the 5.0 h.o. mustang. when the rest of the automotive industry was still struggling to convert to fuel injection, ford was high on the horse, and kicking a$$ at the strip. i think just a few of us would appreciate it if you'd quit knocking a piece of automotive history/technology, just because your buddy has a pile of crap that you happened to beat. i guarantee i could whoop your young a$$ with a 5.0, probably even your buddies if you gave me about an hour with the hood open first. thanks...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #22
thedaemon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23368
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 thedaemon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Both the 5.0 and 240 can beat you if they have good (on a curvy road) if they have good suspension and a good driver. I used to own a 240, so I know its limits. I have seen a 5.0 at autocross whoop ass, so yeah its possible. I assume they don't have suspension setups though, and you will win. A stock ka24de or ka24e (240 motors) are slow, and you will stop him in a straight. My 240 with coilovers and ca18det will take you anytime though :\. Too bad I am selling it. The focus has such great handling for a fwd car, I suggest racing them and finding out.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #23
graveKisser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26776
What I Drive: 2003 red svt

FF Reputation: 1 graveKisser Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nope no suspension done on either I know I can beat the 240 on just about anything and the 5.0 on handling I was just wonder how other ppl held up against the 5.0 or how bad they got beat or won?

I talked to the guy today its a 89 convt. was auto but he put a 5 speed in and the gears thats it.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #24
mustanggt_50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13592
What I Drive: 2002 Supercharged Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 mustanggt_50 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrera26
Low 14 second car with a good driver, tires, and in very good repair. Even if it's been well maintained it's likely lost a bit of it's edge in the last decade or so. General wear can slowly but surely slow you way down.
I dunno, I pulled low 14's out of my old 5spd 5.0 GT... with BALD (down past the wear bars) 17's cutting 2.08-2.12 60 fts. 3.73's and exhaust work. Car had 180K on it too. If I had good tires on it I woulda got sub 2.0 60fts and gone even faster. Too bad I got rid of it before the control arms, headers, ud pulles, pro 5.0 and my better tires. Woulda saw 13's easily. Then again I can launch 5.0's like theres no tomorrow, never got beat off the line in that car!! Although I did get beat by some cars once we got moving!!

Quote:
Originally posted by svtfiend
there were in fact very few cars in the late 80's and that could run 14 seconds or under in the 1/4 with little or no modifications. one was the turbo buick regal, and coming in at a close second was the 5.0 h.o. mustang. when the rest of the automotive industry was still struggling to convert to fuel injection, ford was high on the horse, and kicking a$$ at the strip. i think just a few of us would appreciate it if you'd quit knocking a piece of automotive history/technology, just because your buddy has a pile of crap that you happened to beat. i guarantee i could whoop your young a$$ with a 5.0, probably even your buddies if you gave me about an hour with the hood open first. thanks...
EXCELLENT POST!!!! Many guys out there dont maintain their 5.0's and thus they run like crap. But not all of them do!!!

I seem to recall back in the day when guys took a factory stripped down LX notchback. Threw on some sticky tires, 3.73s, ud pullies and a better air filter and could put them into the low 13's and even a 12.9 has been done. These cars really didnt come from the factory as 'handling' cars, they were straight line cars. I wont go into it anymore but I could!! Its possible to beat one, but just because you beat one, doesnt mean they are all slow.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:15 PM   #25
Osiris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 172
What I Drive: 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 1 Osiris Good Standing Member
T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! !

I've been trying to say the same thing for sooo, sooo long........
2003 SVT Focus - CD Silver/Red #2822
Appearance'd

2005 Mustang GT - Black/Crimson
Not Stock
Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #26
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7784
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT; 03 Black Evo 8

FF Reputation: 1 blck01zx3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by svtfiend
now we see the full picuture here... ya know, the other day i beat a 93 porsche 911 turbo? sure, its turbo was blown, it only had 3 wheels, and the driver had one leg, but i smoked him from a stop and a roll! whats this place coming to?! how old are you kids and who bought you these damn cars?! you don't just go around braging up that you smoked a 5.0 to a bunch of people who own the same car as you, and no doubt at least a few of us have owned one, if not a few 5.0s in their life. there were in fact very few cars in the late 80's and that could run 14 seconds or under in the 1/4 with little or no modifications. one was the turbo buick regal, and coming in at a close second was the 5.0 h.o. mustang. when the rest of the automotive industry was still struggling to convert to fuel injection, ford was high on the horse, and kicking a$$ at the strip. i think just a few of us would appreciate it if you'd quit knocking a piece of automotive history/technology, just because your buddy has a pile of crap that you happened to beat. i guarantee i could whoop your young a$$ with a 5.0, probably even your buddies if you gave me about an hour with the hood open first. thanks...
Im 18 and I bought my own car thank you very much. And not once did I ever come on here sayin that I smoke 5.0s. All I said was that I beat my friends. I did also say he had more mods, not just that he didnt take care of it. And not once did I ever "knock" the car either. I know quite a few people with 5.0s including my friend who has a 1993 who runs 11s. And dont call peoples cars who you dont know peices of crap. Just learn to read previous posts before you run your mouth.
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII
Old 09-11-2005, 08:18 PM   #27
bolink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26580
What I Drive: 1995 Pimpala SS

FF Reputation: 1 bolink Good Standing Member
Yeah I take offense to that too. This 19 year old punk "boy" who is in the navy helping to defend your right to say as you please, happens to pay for all my own shit. What you said is like me calling all old people depends wearing, ensure drinking, multi-vitamin swallowing, senile, people. Sure...some are...doesnt mean all of them are.

And FYI I worked/am working hard to be where I am right now. I also know a thing or two about V8s considering I bought and built my 79 El Camino up to running low 13s at the age of 17-18. Get down off your high horse.

Oh yeah and the fact remains...I dont care if the dudes car wasnt "tuned right" or had "bald tires", got a "bad launch" or any of the other friggin excuses I hear people making up. If Joe Dirt pulls beside me in a rusted out POS '89 5.0 revving his engine and the light turns green and I floor it and he burns out cause of his bald tires, slows down cause of a bad tune, and i end up in front of him, did I beat him? Goddamn right I did. Your racing the driver and what they have....not racing a professional driver with a showroom condition [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g showcar. Jesus Christ you guys are all so uptight in this forum with all this "That could never happen blah blah blah liar blah I am gods gift to cars blah I know more than all of you combined about cars blah blah blah.

Sure In another instance...he would have gotten smoked. I dont think you will find anyone who will disagree with it. But calling him that because of how you feel is like me telling someone they didnt beat me because IF i had a turbo the car will leave him in the dust, or IF my clutch wasnt practically gone, i would have smoked you. Friggin excuses are like [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*s...everyones got one.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #28
Osiris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 172
What I Drive: 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 1 Osiris Good Standing Member
It isn't those who say they've won one unlikely race or another. It's those who come out with the "I thought [insert name of superior vehicle here] would be faster!" or "I bet the driver of that [insert name of superior vehicle here] never thought he'd lose to a Focus!!!!"

Those punks who have the nerve to disrespect the car they "beat" for a number of circumstances that in one way or another, tipped the scales in their favor.

Fact is simple. Race a stock Mustang GT or 5.0 with any sort of straight line involved with a stock Focus and the Focus WILL LOSE.

If some guy with a turboed Focus said, "Hey, I just raced this Mustang GT and beat him! Thankfully I had this turbo or I probably would have lost..." THAT would have at least made some sense, and at least the guy has the respect to know why and admit it. I've taken down some mean cars with lesser firepower before myself but I've always known it took SOMETHING to win, I never told myself the faster car was just crappier because it lost to me, the next one I ran into could stomp me.

But that's rarely the case here, and it makes the other Focus owners who know better look like ricers, and I hate to see that because I think the Focus really is a good car, but Ford never built it to compete with a Mustang, time to face facts.
2003 SVT Focus - CD Silver/Red #2822
Appearance'd

2005 Mustang GT - Black/Crimson
Not Stock

Last edited by Osiris; 09-11-2005 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #29
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7784
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT; 03 Black Evo 8

FF Reputation: 1 blck01zx3 Good Standing Member
But I never came on here and said that mustangs are slow and gay. All I said was that I beat my buddies. Then I admitingly came on here and said that he wasnt the best driver and had high mileage. I never kept that from you guys and never said that I beat mustangs all the time. That is the only mustang I have ever beat from a dig, granted I have beat some from rolls, mostly highway rolls. I, just like everyone on here hopefully, knows that a mustang is capable of making big numbers and being a very respectable car to any one, whether it is in a straight line or on a road course. I know that a stock focus cant beat a stock mustang, but that doesnt mean that a focus can never beat a mustang.

And whether your 18, 108, 32, or 5 yrs old, we are all people who are on these forums because we like cars, and we like our cars. There are people on here who are very knowledgable and come on here to help people and have questions of their own, and there are people who come on here and dont know that much about cars and need some questions answered. Either way there is no need to diss someone who comes here and tries to tell a story about how he beat some car. Im here to discuss cars, learn, help people who have questions, tell some stores, and have fun.

[/soapbox]
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII

Last edited by blck01zx3; 09-12-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:45 AM   #30
FocusInAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
I'm 39, which puts me in the Geezer range on this forum. I have to say that age doesn't always equal maturity. blck01zx3 shows through his posts that he is sharp guy, regardless of age. Calling him a punk? I suggest re-reading his posts with a very open mind.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.