5.0 or svt? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2005, 09:01 AM   #11
03_SVTFoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26814
What I Drive: 05 Red SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 03_SVTFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by blck01zx3
My friend has an 88 5.0 with a BBK cold air intake, Under drive Pulleys, and Ford Racing wires, its a 5 speed and I beat him from a dig and from a roll.
Being a fellow mustang and SVTF owner, I have to admit anything is possible; however, from the scenario that you describe, I must assume that your friend with the 5Liter isn't the best driver or can't launch and bite with his car. My mustang is far from stock but I can remember when it was stock save for a drop in filter and Flowmaster catback. The 5Liters aren't or were not the fastest car by any means but the one thing they have going for them is that they are light 87-93's and torquey. The SVTF is rev happy and the extra gear does give an edge on a long highway run but the thing lacks torque, which is what gets you up and moving. BTW, tell you friend to bump his timing to 14*(free HP), install a 180* stat, and switch to an aftermarket H-Pipe and that should help improve his ride on the cheap before getting really involved. Good luck in your next encounter.
#674 of 3985
SOLD
FOR SALE 93LX 5.0: H/C/I/Exhaust/Vortech/IC
481 RWHP/455 RWTQ 5600RPM, pump gas, 11:5 A/F, NO LT's
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #12
03_SVTFoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26814
What I Drive: 05 Red SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 03_SVTFoci Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by crazymechanic
the 5.slow
Hmm....I didn't know that FORD had a new version of the 5.0
#674 of 3985
SOLD
FOR SALE 93LX 5.0: H/C/I/Exhaust/Vortech/IC
481 RWHP/455 RWTQ 5600RPM, pump gas, 11:5 A/F, NO LT's
Old 09-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
First, those guys that are talking smack about cornering obviously dont have a clue about the svt, if you take them out to show them that they cant keep up, the best place is a small cloverleaf ramp on an interstate. They will find out real quick that thay cant keep up. Stock for stock, i have taken out a couple 5.0's with mine when it was stock. Its close in a straight line, but none of those stand a chance in the twisties or braking.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
Svt4life
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i doubt the 5.0 will launch properly i had a guy at school with a 87 5.0 he raced me off the line and i stomped him he couldn't launch.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to ”Racing, Rally & Autocross”...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #16
Lupuri
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12064
What I Drive: 03 SVTF, 13 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Lupuri Good Standing Member
How does someone get in a low 14sec car and lose to a mid 15sec car?
The only way that any SVT Focus is gonna beat a stock 5.0 is if its an auto and running like ass. I pull 14.9s in my SVT and there is no WAY I've come close to takeing any Mustang from a dig......from a roll Ill pull on stock GTs over 70, but less then that there is just about no way...

I know a bit about Mustangs aswell....
03, where you from in PA? Thought I was the only SVTF/5oh driver in the del valley.
89 Mustang LX (it's really white)
13 Focus ST
Old 09-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #17
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Low 14 second car with a good driver, tires, and in very good repair. Even if it's been well maintained it's likely lost a bit of it's edge in the last decade or so. General wear can slowly but surely slow you way down.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #18
Svt4life
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2462
What I Drive: 2002 Redfire Mustang Gt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt4life Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Lupuri
How does someone get in a low 14sec car and lose to a mid 15sec car?
The only way that any SVT Focus is gonna beat a stock 5.0 is if its an auto and running like ass. I pull 14.9s in my SVT and there is no WAY I've come close to takeing any Mustang from a dig......from a roll Ill pull on stock GTs over 70, but less then that there is just about no way...

I know a bit about Mustangs aswell....
03, where you from in PA? Thought I was the only SVTF/5oh driver in the del valley.
I guess the guy that i raced wasn't that great of a driver when he launched against me he just spun and i was long gone by then.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #19
graveKisser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26776
What I Drive: 2003 red svt

FF Reputation: 1 graveKisser Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by CWBoarder691
Hey graveKisser which side of houston are you on and which school do you go to? I dont want to jack the thread im just wondering.
Im west kinda by katy but I drive a long ass way to san jac central Ive seen a silver focus at school but whoever drives it is not in the ford class

Yeah I dont even think the guy is gona bring his car to school or the track he wants me to meet him? He said his car wouldnt even make it to school and I laughed! But if or when it happens Ill let everyone know
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #20
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7784
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT; 03 Black Evo 8

FF Reputation: 1 blck01zx3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by 03_SVTFoci
Being a fellow mustang and SVTF owner, I have to admit anything is possible; however, from the scenario that you describe, I must assume that your friend with the 5Liter isn't the best driver or can't launch and bite with his car. My mustang is far from stock but I can remember when it was stock save for a drop in filter and Flowmaster catback. The 5Liters aren't or were not the fastest car by any means but the one thing they have going for them is that they are light 87-93's and torquey. The SVTF is rev happy and the extra gear does give an edge on a long highway run but the thing lacks torque, which is what gets you up and moving. BTW, tell you friend to bump his timing to 14*(free HP), install a 180* stat, and switch to an aftermarket H-Pipe and that should help improve his ride on the cheap before getting really involved. Good luck in your next encounter.
He has shorty headers, a catless BBK xpipe, and magnaflows on it. I forgot to mention the exhuast sorry. He isnt the best driver and the car does have a little over 200k miles on it. His tires are pretty bald too.
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.