Exhaust system for senior project - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
Atlanta800
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 25026
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 ZETEC

FF Reputation: 1 Atlanta800 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exhaust system for senior project

My high school has us do an exiting project in our senior year of school. Well, it is that time for me and I have been exploring different routes to take this open topic project. Currently I am interested in building an exhaust on my ZX3. I looking into this because it is, as my advisor says, "out of my comfort zone" I'm not too familiar with cars; I don't work on them often. So basically what I want to do is research what goes into building an exhaust system, build one, then report on it. From some discussions I have had, and the little research I have already done, it seems to me like exhaust systems are quite scientifically engineered.

As far as real work, I plan to do the whole thing, Headers into the cat, then from the cat all the way to muffler. The reason I am posting here is I am in need of information: places look when researching and such. I'm also wondering what kind of financial burdon I might be looking at. I don't mind spending plenty of money on this, I just would like some kind of ballpark figure. On top of all I need a "mentor" for this project, someone who does something related to my project for a living, or is very familiar with it. I'm kind of doubting I will find a mentor on here but it is worth a shot. So if you live in the Yakima or central Washington area please let me know. For anyone else, please help me out with tips and resources. Thanks to you all, and wish me luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
munkyv22
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4376
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 munkyv22 Good Standing Member
Do you have to build from the engine all the way back?

Let me rephrase that. Do you have to fab these parts yourself all the way from the engine?

Headers and cat will be a bitch.

"Honda engines are stamped with the words 'Chuck Norris' on the block, making them much stronger than American engines."
Old 09-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Atlanta800
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I am not required to do any exact thing. But for the challenge, I would like to fab the headers. For the cat, I'm planning on keeping the stock one, build the system around it. I can't really afford to pay for the system AND buy a new cat, that would be too much.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
um you might want to look into making a race style header and deleting the car, because that would be much easier to make. the shorties would be a lot of detailed intricate welding. then i would get a no name flex pipe, weld that onto the end. run a straight 2.25 inch pipe offf of that. and then a muffler of somekind. then i would find a tip somewhere and weld that onto the end. or just do a dump. that would be the easiest way. i did that with my saturn. don't see why it wouldn't work on a focus.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Atlanta800
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Well, I really don't want to get rid of the cat. First with it being illegal and all. And to me its just morally wrong for my car to output enough fumes for about 15 cars. Maybe I might be getting in over my head, might not be able to pull it off.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
munkyv22
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4376
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 munkyv22 Good Standing Member
Fabbing headers is, no offense, not a high school project.

As for the cat... Every Focus running race headers makes up for 15 Prius/Civic Hybrids on the road. :)

"Honda engines are stamped with the words 'Chuck Norris' on the block, making them much stronger than American engines."
Old 09-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
haha, these cars are really efficient anyway. there was a study on CNN once where they took the car off of cars and put a resonator or something in its place and the car still passed smog in just about every state. however. you could buy the pacesetter uncoated header for like 150 i think. that would be a good option. the study wasn't just with our cars, but wtih most 4cylinders. so idk.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
DO NOT BUY PACESETTER! if youre lookinf for an inexpensive header that is good quality go on ebay an obx, just make sure its not a shorty.

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Old 09-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Snakebite202
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19112
What I Drive: 04 RX-8

FF Reputation: 1 Snakebite202 Good Standing Member
^^Agreed - pacesetters are expensinve and shitty. Excuse the french...
Old 09-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

o ok. then get an OBX. i think he wants a shorty because he wants to keep his cat.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.