Ignition Cylinder Fix Question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
taziwac
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27350
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 taziwac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ignition Cylinder Fix Question

So here's my situation and my question. I've got a 2000 zts, and my ignition cylinder is on it's way out, again. At least this time it's giving me some warning.

Since, I can still turn the key to the Accessory position, with some jiggling, can I remove the ignition cylinder without drilling, and then remove the tumblers and reassemble everything without any problems? I know this will mean that any key (or any thing for that matter) will now be able to turn my ignition cylinder, but only a key mated to the car will be able to both turn the cylinder AND start the engine, no?

Am I missing something or is this not the quickest, easiest (albeit least secure) method of permanently fixing this problem? Any help would be greatly apprecieated. Thanks to this forum I've got some good instructions on how to remove the cylinder, but no idea how to get the tumblers out once that's done or will that be self evident once I've got the cylinder in my hands. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Everything you need to know is in the thread below.
There is IC removal instructions and who to PM to get an IC cut to your key for cheap.

This guy will get you the new style that shouldn't have the IC lockup issue.

Get that thing replaced before you have to drill because it's no fun.

Click here
Old 09-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
taziwac
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27350
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 taziwac Good Standing Member
Those were helpful, but....

Thanks for the reply. I read that thread and followed all the links in it, that's what led me to this question. The root of my question is whether or not it's possible to move to a tumblerless ignition cylinder. Replacing what I have with a new and improved one makes sense and there are plenty of posts and digrams explaining how to do it. What I'm wondering is whether or not I can take out the cylinder I have, remove the tumblers (which is where the problems lie, right) and then replace the tumblerless cylinder.

I recognize that if I do this anything from a screwdriver to a quarter will be able to be used to turn the cylinder. But I'm assuming that without a key electronically mated to the car, the car will still not be able to be started. Am I wrong? And, are there any problems, other than this security issue, that will be created by going to to a tumblerless ignition cylinder?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
BlacKnight
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23119
What I Drive: 2007 Black F150 STX

FF Reputation: 1 BlacKnight Good Standing Member
The only problem with your theory is if you (or someone) tried to turn the cylinder without using the key, the car would register a theft code and go into lockdown. It would then disable the car for a while. I asked one of our techs here about this. B16sir1991 should be here soon to help clarify this.

I sell Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles one piece at a time.

Shadow may be gone, but I am still around from time to time!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
silver_flash
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 18812
What I Drive: 2000, silver, ZX3 Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 silver_flash Good Standing Member
i pulled all my tumblers and have used the wrong keys a couple time but didnt hae it go into lock-down. just make sure you have the origional key cause andy ford will turn it but only a programed key will start it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
jbondjr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13804
FF Reputation: 1 jbondjr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just picked up an IC from my local dealer. I am looking at the instructions now. I am assuming I just do the complete assembly minus lining up the tumblers and this should work fine with my existing key?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
silver_flash
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 18812
What I Drive: 2000, silver, ZX3 Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 silver_flash Good Standing Member
yup.

Bookmarks & Social Networks