Supercharger kits push Cobalt to next stage - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Kneel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6590
What I Drive: '05 Sonic Blue Escape

FF Reputation: 1 Kneel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Supercharger kits push Cobalt to next stage

Chevy is definitely outpacing Ford now on small car performance. Just a little info here for those of you who might be trying to keep up with a 2006 Cobalt SS on the street...

Super Boosted Chevys: Supercharger kits push Cobalt to next stage
BOB GRITZINGER
Posted Date: 8/30/05

We’ll admit to a growing fondness for Chevrolet’s Cobalt small car, especially the one that debuted this year as the 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged coupe.

With performance suspension and 205 hp and 200 lb-ft of torque on tap from a lightweight aluminum overhead-cam 2.0-liter four-cylinder, the supercharged model is good. But if you really want something to get charged up about, stand by for Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrades for the SS Supercharged (and Saturn Ion Red Line) due in early 2006.

Stage 1 adds revised fuel injectors and new engine calibration to pick up another 20 hp; Stage 2 increases boost via a smaller supercharger pulley (along with another engine recalibration job) to amp up the torque by about 20 lb-ft. The packages can be readily installed by the owner. Pricing will be announced in November at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas.

We’ve driven the base supercharged cars, along with the Stage 1 and 2 upgrades, and while the Stage 1 noticeably increases power, the added torque in the Stage 2 package is worth the extra cost and effort. The added boost provides a substantial increase in power, especially at the low- and mid-rpm range where base and Stage 1 models need a downshift to prevent running short of breath.

Need more incentive? GM Performance hoss John Heinricy says he expects a 20 percent power boost from the Stage 2 kit “when all is said and done.” That’s about 246 hp and 240 lb-ft, if you’re keeping score.

Last edited by Kneel; 08-30-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
mlowery
Focus Addict

Fan#: 14715
What I Drive: flame blue metallic 2010 focus se

FF Reputation: 5 mlowery Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i think Ford needs to pick up there game because they are falling behind Chevy and Dodge.......they have already and may even lose more customers because of this!!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
dgualtie

Fan#: 15238
What I Drive: 03 IR SVT

FF Reputation: 1 dgualtie Good Standing Member
ford is missing the boat on the FI sport compact car scene. They have some euro models they can base a new focus off of (euro st comes to mind)
SVT squad #7
Old 08-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by mlowery
i think Ford needs to pick up there game because they are falling behind Chevy and Dodge.......they have already and may even lose more customers because of this!!
May be Ford doesn't want to compete in the Sport Compact tuner market in the US.
They have a hugh market in the UK with the Focus and a hugh market for the Mustang in the US.
Just because 5% of Focus owners want a better more tuned Focus doesn't mean Ford is going to jump to fulfill our requests.
Also, I'm sure Ford is aware of all the after market mods available for the Focus for those who desire more power and a sporty look.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #5
beat3rfocus
I hate you!!!!!

Fan#: 3178
What I Drive: Red 1990 Miata Hardtop

FF Reputation: 11 beat3rfocus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Ford is a crock of shit. They do not realize that their mustang sales are not going to hold the company afloat. Also their truck sales are dropping too due to gas prices. They need to realize that FI 4 bangers are the way to go, it will give your V8 people the power they want for smaller price, but premium fuel, but BETTER GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Have fun with those new upgrades SVT03 lol. Yea F/I and ford america has been discussed so many times, its like time to give up. Maybe if mazda comes out with the mazdaspeed 3 then maybe well get lucky and ford will borrow that set up. Maybe microtonal is right. Dont forget Ford is working on their hybrid program where as GM and Chrysler/dodge are not.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I will say this again, those of us who bought the Focus didn't have $20K to spend.
If we did, we would of bought something else with more power.

Now, if Ford had a Focus for $20K(not the ST) with more power(SC or Turbo), how could you of afford it when you bought the $12,000 model because that's all the cash you had to spend on a new car.

It's like you want a "tuned" Focus for shop talk so when you're around the Cobalt, Redline, Sti and Evo guys, you can say... "Well, the Focus Big Honcho will beat your car any day of the week. I just have the base model but it's got potential as you can see in the Focus Big Honcho model."

If you want more power in your Focus, spend some cash and built it.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
^^^true, but the other thing about this is warrenty. Im sure the cobalt, srt-4 etc are covered under full warrenty, where as if you turbo or supercharge your focus, u bascially kissed that warrenty goodbye. Thats probably one of the reasons a factory turbo is wanted etc.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
wayne newton

Fan#: 26959
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 wayne newton Good Standing Member
the cobalt is the biggest piece of crap out there even the SS, the cobalt is no longer a compact car, that crapy thing called the daweoo aveo is chevys compact

and the srt4 feels like it is going to fall apart at the floor boards
Old 08-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
jonnycat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1390
What I Drive: '03 Bitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 jonnycat Good Standing Member
the aveo is actually the suzuki swift.

Bookmarks & Social Networks