strut tower brace? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-19-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
03svteuro
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2421
What I Drive: 03 comp. orange svt zx3

FF Reputation: 1 03svteuro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question strut tower brace?

i was wondering what everyone thought was the best place to get a strut tower brace. Also i would like to see what everyone thinks about putting them on your vehicle. any and all opinions are welcome. this is stb for the svt if it would be different than a non svt.
thnks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
SIUNARA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2220
What I Drive: 03 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SIUNARA Good Standing Member
This is a topic you should get hard technical info on...don't take someone's word for it. Make sure there is a proven difference made by the STB on the SVTF before you spend the money. By proven I mean testing with results...not someone telling you they felt a difference after they put it on their car.

03 Focus SVT
95 Cobra
Old 01-19-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
That is good advice, but you won't find any hard evidence out there. With the exceptions of people's testimonies, you can't measure the difference unless you possess some very expensive equipment.

In light of that, the rear strut tower brace from FS made a slight difference in how the car transitions. It is nothing major, but it was a nice cheap addition (I got it used). Still, I plan on getting Steeda's cro-moly bar sometime down the road only because cro-moly is stronger than traditional carbon steels. As long as you are only looking to improve the manner of the car when driven hard at it's edges, the bars are good. For typical commuting, you'll probably never notice the difference.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
SIUNARA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 2220
What I Drive: 03 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SIUNARA Good Standing Member
I'd ask the company selling the product for hard info on how their product works and what differences (if any) the piece made. If they can't give it to you, (being the one's that should have the money to test their products), I personally wouldn't buy their product. How do they know if it works or not if they never tested it? You can bet they market it saying it makes a difference, or it wouldn't be worth buying.

Moral of the story, don't take anyone's word for it (including companies) when it comes to parts that are hotly debated like STB's without hard evidence to show that the product was tested and made a marked difference. Anything else is only opinion and will change from person to person.

03 Focus SVT
95 Cobra
Old 01-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
Jonny Bolt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117
What I Drive: '02 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Jonny Bolt Good Standing Member
They do help, but the advantages are different for every car. Mostly for looks on an SVTf though, seeing as how close the strut towers are to each other already. Car is very rigid out of the box. But thats not to say it wont offer any advantage at all, its just hard to measure. Some people swear the turning gets better lol, but I'd spen my cash on other things before I got that.
Mods: See Profile
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/fc1102aa.jpg
boardadmin@teamfocus.us
Old 01-20-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
Twofocused
Focus Addict

Fan#: 408
What I Drive: 84 Stang / 03 Focus SE / 04 F150 /

FF Reputation: 2 Twofocused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
STBs were orginally designed on Fords for two reasons.

1. The strut or shock towers move inward over time, this throws the alignment and handling charactstics off. The STB forced the shock towers back into thier proper position.

2. When the you tie the shock towers/firewall/radiator support together it limits body flex on a unibody car. This flex can be caused by engine torque or from hard cornering. Kind of like subframe connectors for the upper front of the car.

For the most part if you dont tie the strut towers to the firewall or core support the STB is really just for looks. Is the improved handling (if any) worth the added weight from the bar?

Ive weighed all the add-ons I have put on my ZX3. I figure that my car weighs about 30lbs more than stock form.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:19 AM   #7
garyk

Fan#: 171
What I Drive: focus race car, stock svt street ca

FF Reputation: 1 garyk Good Standing Member
hey eessveetee

i know where you got it. well with new cage going in, my fancy adams racing rear bar is no longer needed. damn that was expensive for using it only 2 race weekends. its for sale, but not as cheap as the fs i sold you. you can see one at www.adamsracing.net. and yes i have the very trick, lightweight aluminum one. anybody interested?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #8
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
PM me details. I might be interested.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
garyk

Fan#: 171
What I Drive: focus race car, stock svt street ca

FF Reputation: 1 garyk Good Standing Member
will do

Old 01-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #10
rayrevolver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1895
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rayrevolver Good Standing Member
hmmm, if essveetee doesn't get it, let me know. Thanks!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->