Urethane vs. Fiberglass (Body/Lip Kits) - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #21
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Quote:
Originally posted by fr200focus
sorry to read this thread S2 after i purchased and installed a JT AUTOSTYLE fiberglass :( EVO 3 kit for my zx3. It required ALOT of work to get it on and it still doesn't seem to fit anywhere close to factory. I've already scraped coming out of parking lots and it cracked in the front because its so brittle. The JT AUTOSTYLE foglights that came with the kit are junk too. I've gone through about 3 pairs ($100 each pair!!) already because they keep blowing after a few months like the cheap Xenon bulbs you can get for about $20 at your local auto parts store. Right now i'm looking into getting rid of the bodykit because it has been nothing but problems. Thanks Chad for this thread it really helped me out for the nice Urethane kit I plan to get in the future. Do you know if the SVT kit is fiberglass or urethane?
Don't feel to bad about the JTAUTOSTYLE kit as it USED to be made from urethane but god knows why they decided to go back to fiberglass, probably cost to make, profit ratio but still.

The SVT kit isn't fiberglass, it's urethane OR a type of mould injected plastic and it's very high quality. Of course the bumpers are the same, same as a typical focus bumper but the side skirts I believe are a more 'rigid' urethane type material. It's not fiberglass as far as I know and as far as I've been told.

Good luck on your future kit purchases!! Keep me posted on what you do decide to go with, always nice to see a fresh newly kitted car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #22
skyler
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 29563
What I Drive: 2000 White SE

FF Reputation: 1 skyler Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wrecked my focus and have already found a hood and upper grille I was really thinking about a body kit to replace my bumper all it has in it is a small hole above the license plate about 3x3.5 inches anyway I'm glad I read this but can anybody reccomend a body kit that is urethane but pretty cheap i really don't care what it looks like as long as I can intall it myself and just get the entire car repainted
Old 11-21-2005, 06:18 PM   #23
S2
Retired Fanatic

Urethane is more expensive then fiberglass but in saying that, fiberglass requires alot more work (time for a shop or your own time) and it's a hell of a headache so in my opinion, it's actually more 'expensive' for fiberglass in the overall picture.

As for 'cheap' urethane kits, that's going to be hard to find, at least something with quality.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #24
eurosvt7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29582
What I Drive: 2003 orange euro svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 eurosvt7 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
to add to S2 if i might add. Also depending on the company, such as those ebay, they are only 2 ply fiberglass, so when your on the highway and you get hit my a rock, opps there goes another crack, not to mention if you let another person drive your car and they hit a curb parking, opps theres another fix to repair. with the urethane those wont be problems. Unless you reinforce the fiberglass another 12 times. even still wont fit right. Either way, its your money, but my momey would be with urethane, although i will never own a body kit. maybe a lip kit, but thats it for me.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #25
FordRacer1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30484
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 FordRacer1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Sorry to disagree with you eurosvt7 but not every kit is 2ply I have an Evo 3 with a 7ply fiberglass and not to mention no one drives my car thatŐs crazy not even my wife touches it. Also it was a very cheap kit under $300 and it didnŐt fit right but it does now. I worked on it a bit and I love it and also get pride out of knowing I installed it myself rather then let some jerk do it that didnŐt care what it looked like (which is my experience with most body shops custom or not) Anyway I love my kit I donŐt scrap because I am not dumb enough to lower a car with a kit on it. Another thing I want to add is that if you are using a urethane Kit expect to repaint it every year because paint no like urethane. It chips like a mother just like stock bumpers but I agree it is more durable but only because it is not ridged. DonŐt take it personally I am not out to change everyoneŐs mind or pick on anyone I am just giving a point of view from someone that likes his fiberglass kit as there is no one here that does. sorry if I upset anyone thatŐs not my intent.

Done So Far
AEM CAI, 65mm CFM TB, OBX Racing Headers, OBX CB Exhast, Wide body Kit, Halo Projection Headlights, Sway Bar, Black and Silver Falcon Rims 16", Tint, Full Comp System.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
S2
Retired Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by FordRacer1
Another thing I want to add is that if you are using a urethane Kit expect to repaint it every year because paint no like urethane.
I disagree 1110000000% on that one. Urethane kits are extremely durable and it comes down to how good of a paint job you got to begin with. If you got a cheap ass paint job or a DIY job, regardless if it's made out of urethane, fiberglass, steel, whatever, you'll get the same issues.

If your statement is true, it's shocking cause all "STOCK" bumpers are made out of the same type of material as urethane bumpers and they all have the same 'flex' to them. Amazing how all the manufactures around the world are completely 'wrong' with using that type of material.

Nobody is bashing you for having a fiberglass kit but don't BS your way around the facts.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #27
FordRacer1
Focus Enthusiast

Wow dude that was just rude "don't BS your way around the facts." donŐt be a prick I was very nice and only giving my opinion my paint job as of now has been stock and if I look at it wrong it chips I have yet to see the inside of a paint booth yet but when I do next month I will let you all know how it turned out I stated very clearly that I am not out to change peoples minds I just believe that if you put a little work into it any choice you make can work out you donŐt have to get a urethane kit I am not saying it is bad I know that it is more durable I just donŐt want people (not you) telling everyone that fiberglass sucks because a few people cant work there way around a dremmel and a heat gun. Anyway I respect you all and donŐt want to go pissing anyone off I am just putting in my two cents thatŐs all.

Done So Far
AEM CAI, 65mm CFM TB, OBX Racing Headers, OBX CB Exhast, Wide body Kit, Halo Projection Headlights, Sway Bar, Black and Silver Falcon Rims 16", Tint, Full Comp System.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #28
FordRacer1
Focus Enthusiast

P.S. Dont boot me I like you. hehehe

Done So Far
Old 01-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #29
FordRacer1
Focus Enthusiast

Also in retrospect I also have alot of time on my hands to play around as I only work about six months out of the year, and it would have saved me alot of time gitting a custom fit urethane kit, if money was no object but damn those kits can be spendy. anyway thanks

Done So Far
Old 01-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #30
S2
Retired Fanatic

Most people with fiberglass kits go on the defensive all the time in threads like this and I was assuming you were also. Regardless, stating a urethane kit needs to be repainted yearly is completely untrue.

No offence to my previous post. I never ment it to come of rude IF you were posting your true opinion as mentioned above, most people get up on the defense horse (similar to the way HKS exhaust owners for the focus do it)....

Bookmarks & Social Networks