throttle body problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2005, 01:18 AM   #1
jjaaccdie1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 24727
FF Reputation: 1 jjaaccdie1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
throttle body problem

I just installed a 65mm throttle body on my 2003 ford focus, manual transmission. a list of my mods are: stage 3 comp cams, dark force cai, msd ignition, obx headers, custom duel exhaust 2.5". I have no problems in first gear. But if i pop the clutch u know where u bark the tires when u shift (jam down on the throttle when u let the clutch up). the car bogs out. Doesnt die just no power till i take my foot off the gas and rehit the throttle and it goes with no problem.

now if i easy the clutch and gas with each other doesnt have to be slow. but no tire barking it dont do it. What would be causing this problem?

Can it be im not able to supply enough fuel on the stock fuel regulator for the extra air im adding due to the cams. i need your help. but other than that i can feel a huge difference in the throttle body.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
blk3dr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25369
What I Drive: Black ZX-3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 1 blk3dr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
do you have a tune? where are you shifting at wot? if you dont have a tune then that might be your major problem. anybody please correct me if i'm wrong. also, you might not have enough backpressure due to your exhaust being so open. duel exhaust works great on a mustang, but I wouldn't have it on a focus. do you have any head work done(port and polish, 3 angle valve job)? I can see a few different factors here, but again, if I'm going out in left field, then ignore me.
anti squad/crew member #2
Old 08-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
focustech
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13262
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 focustech Good Standing Member
I would also check your fuel pressure, maybe a weak fuel pump, after a heavy accel and then you add the engine load of second gear scratch may not have enough fuel
Old 08-21-2005, 02:03 AM   #4
jjaaccdie1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

if been told now by like 3 mechanics that im not getting enough fuel. So lets see im going to look into getting my ecu reprogrammed locally and have the fuel pressure jumped up. I know some pretty repable people around jacksonville Fl that will do it for me.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:20 AM   #5
jjaaccdie1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

back pressure on my car aint no problem. I kept the stock flex pipe so i wouldnt run into problems. and the exhause is single till the end then it splits off too two. I dont think its problems with the head. I think i need to take it in for tunning. So i can get the fuel bumped up. Ive been told by 1 ase master mechanic 1 ase mechanic and some friends who race for a living that im not getting enough fuel in the combustion chambers. They say i need to have the fuel pressure increased to add more fuel diffently when the cars at wot. ill be calling some places around to see about tuning and how much.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:15 AM   #6
AC21365
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2039
What I Drive: See Sig..

FF Reputation: 2 AC21365 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Re: throttle body problem

k a few things:

Quote:
Originally posted by jjaaccdie1
Can it be im not able to supply enough fuel on the stock fuel regulator for the extra air im adding due to the cams. i need your help. but other than that i can feel a huge difference in the throttle body.
cams dont add air... they allow more air into the mixture.. but a number of things can change that... not just the cams... by the sound of your problems, it seems that you haven't had your car tuned... bad idea... more air in the mixture, more fuel you need... and you're still running on a stock tune... that's more than likely your problem... your fuel pump and injectors are more than capable of keeping up with your mods... u just need to tell the computer to put more fuel in there... which means you'll need a superchip's SCT chip and a place with a dyno that'll tune it...

however, it could be something as simple as you not putting your tps on right... that'll foobar your car's mixture... check that first... THEN get tuned!!!
Present:
2005 Silver Focus 2.3L ST Sedan - 5-speed w/all the options
Old 08-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
jjaaccdie1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

ya i checked my tps and tried it stock direction and flipped. seems to work better flipped. so im going to call around and see how much it is to tune my ecu till i can get the chip.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
blk3dr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25369
What I Drive: Black ZX-3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 1 blk3dr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
sorry about the exhaust thing, I assumed you had true dual exhaust for some reason.
anti squad/crew member #2
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
jjaaccdie1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

ok just talked to focus sport about the sct chip for the focus. I told him all the mods i had done to my car and asked him what options i need to have done to the chip to get the car to run correct. their answer is "increased fuel pressure, raise idle, rear o2 sensor disabled and the rest is gravy." very fast reply on their behalf. and its exactly what i wanted to do also. So if u all run into problems like i just did theirs your answer of what u need to get done.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,561, Level 75
Points: 13,561, Level: 75 Points: 13,561, Level: 75 Points: 13,561, Level: 75
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
with the new tb it might be a good idea for some new injectors and fuel rail and maybe then you will get your tires to bark when going into second gear again?!?!?
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.