Continental tires - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
HONDAHATER
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 523
What I Drive: 2003 3-dr SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 HONDAHATER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Post Continental tires

I managed to go up and over a curb in a parking lot and blew out my right-front tire and dinged the rim a bit. I wasn't doing anything stupid it just wasn't where curbs normally are and I didn't see it.

Anyway I put on the spare and limped to Discount Tire less than a mile from where this happened. They wanted over $200 (with insurance) to replace the Conti. Those tires are frickin expensive for as weak as they are.

I am comparing them to the Yokohama Parada Spec 2's I have on my Mirage (still for sale) which stick like gum on the bottom of your shoe.

So I didn't replace the Conti with a Conti. I put on a cheap asian brand for $100 out the door, since I plan on replacing all of them with Yoko's or ??? when they're used up. It looks OK, but I don't feel real good about it ...

The Conti's say the max psi is 51, so I tried putting them all at 40, and they feel better at that pressure. Has anyone gone higher than that???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
geekspeed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 689
What I Drive: 2001 Silver F-150

FF Reputation: 1 geekspeed Good Standing Member
Well, I had my first flat two days ago--12 hours after I drove off the dealer's lot. I think something similar to what happened to you happened to me, but it happened at 60 mph or so! Changing lanes on the beltway outside D.C., I THINK I hit a pothole with the left rear and the low-profile tire got pinched by the rim and the pothole... I THINK that's what happened. There was a huge bang sound and I limped home with the doughnut. The Conti had a zig-zag gash on its sidewall. I'm wondering if this is endemic of the Continentals or something now! You've got me second guessing my tires!

Anyway, the dealer yesterday morning put a new tire on the BARELY scratched rim for $180 installed. Yup, that's including labor. So that Discount Tire was trying to rip you off. Just go to a Ford dealership, I say.

Now, if the new tire you got, even if it's a cheapo, is the same diameter, width, rating, etc. then you'll have ALMOST no problems. However, even with the same dimensions and speed rating, a different brand tire in the mix will cause some handling glitches to creep in EVENTUALLY, as different brands simply wear differently.

If you're gonna change all your tires soon, then no biggie I say. Let us know how the Yoko's work out--personally, I'll probably go to Kumhos when the time comes to truly change the SVT's rubber.

As for the tire pressure, lemme run outside real quick...

Ok, when you open up the driver's side door, it will tell you on a label what the tire pressure should be. Mine says 32 psi in front and 29 psi in the rear. My tire gauge says mine are all a bit low... but that's probably due to the cold rain we have going right now. Pressure gets lower as temperature gets lower.

You'll want to run the car manufacturer's suggested air pressure in your tires, NOT the max psi as indicated on the tire. This gets you the advertised handling and mpg characteristics of your vehicle. So, 32 psi in front and 29 psi in the rear.

Now, when you end up going autocrossing the first time, you'll want to increase your tire pressure about 10 psi or so. That's to reduce initial sidewall collapse while your sling your car around turns and don't know any better. But this comes at a price, which is reduced grip, and consequently your car will "push" a bit into corners probably. This is where you start adjusting tire pressures between runs to find the optimum grip (less pressure) vs slip (more pressure) for your car--competition-wise. Eventually, you'll go to autocrosses with the knowledge of the "perfect" psi for your tires... of course, that will vary by weather, so your "perfect setup" will change every time out.

This is probably more info than you ever wanted to know, but I figured it might be helpful. Take care and sorry about the flat!

Sincerely,

Beetle
Kid Haulin': Dark Grey 2005 Five Hundred Limited AWD
RIP: Silver 2003 SVT Focus 5-door
Old 09-13-2003, 01:36 AM   #3
bryanjw82
Focus Addict

Fan#: 222
What I Drive: 2004 Chevy Avalanche

FF Reputation: 1 bryanjw82 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Im glad you dinged your rim [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
Performance Mods: FC short shifter, Magnaflow exhaust, HEI wrapped svt header, BBK TB, orp, MSD coil & wires, Diablo Tuner, VF engineering rear engine mount, EBC slotted and dimpled rotors f&r, EBC green stuff pads, PowerWorks Supercharged
Old 09-13-2003, 02:09 AM   #4
CowsGoMoo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
Replace tires all 4 at a time, if that's not possible, replace them in pairs front/rear. As he said, they can wear differently and the dimensions and quality of every tire are different. Also, don't run tires at 40psi, run them at 32. If you run them at 40psi(which is way too much for the street), you'll end up getting bent rims and un even tread wear combined with a harsh ride.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 09-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
TheMollusk
Banned

Fan#: 675
FF Reputation: 1 TheMollusk Good Standing Member
serves you right for hating honda.
those curbs arent there normally?? yeah, sure.
tard. [:)][:)][:)][:)].
Old 09-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
HONDAHATER
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Geekspeed and cowsgomoo ...

I knew I was opening myself up to your unsympathetic and immature reply's.

I thought about taking a picture of this stupid parking lot so you could see what I meant...but I've got better things to do.

I posted this info in the spirit of this website, which (I think) is to discuss our cars and things that we do, or change etc.

I guess lawnmower man hasn't imploded yet...I'll be keeping my eye on "world's stupidest criminals"...
Old 09-13-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
ODG
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 402
What I Drive: 03 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 ODG Good Standing Member
That sucks man. I'd get rid of that cheap tire asap, when it comes to tires you get what you pay for and rubber is something you don't want to skimp on. A buddy of mine made fun of me for spending a little over $200 a tire for replacements on my last car because he paid $200 for 4 tires (Pep Boys) the week before. Within a month he had 2 blowouts and ended up having to buy new tires anyway because he feared for his life when driving those things on the highway. I also don't know if I'd say the Conti's are weak just because they couldn't handle a blow from a curb. Performance tires with a low aspect ratio like the Conti's really aren't made to take that type of abuse.

Last edited by ODG; 09-13-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:07 AM   #8
HONDAHATER
Focus Enthusiast

I meant weak performing.

I remain unimpressed by them, and will swap them all out after I get my $$$ out of them.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
imajsdaddy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 647
What I Drive: focus SVT AND ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 imajsdaddy Good Standing Member
I hate sites like this as you get those dumb people who have to add they 2 cents.

TheMollusk
& bryanjw82

Shold get kicked off sites like these.

There is my 2 cents can't act like an adult get the hell off and leave everyone else out of their twisted life
Old 09-14-2003, 11:51 PM   #10
HONDAHATER
Focus Enthusiast

You are so right imajsdaddy.

I've noticed a phenomena on bulletin board sites, I don't know if it has a name, it should if it doesn't. The PC and the Internet give people a feeling of power and anonymity, and they communicate in ways they would never dream of face-to-face, or even over the phone.

All the sudden they aren't geeky, weak, simple-minded no body's...now they're super-hip, talkin smack, and acting like they're all that with 10,000 posts by their name. I think if you look at these idiots post history you find they've never had anything intelligent to say...beyond "tard" "tool" "[:)][:)][:)][:)]" etc.

Alcohol has the same effect on people with low self-esteem, except when they say something out-of-line to someone in a club they get their ass-kicked, or thrown out. Then they crawl home and "log on" and talk smack while their Mom gets the neosporin and an ice bag for their black eye.

That's what I think anyway.

I am here to talk car stuff, (but I am guilty of slamming Lawnmower man, I couldn't resist.)

Bookmarks & Social Networks