"How To" Broken DSI Clip Fix - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #61
Jason2o
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36872
What I Drive: 2002 Black w/blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Jason2o Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yeah im still having this same problem as well... Mine is free and doesnt bind. Also it is functional.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #62
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds to me like the last 3 posters all have the same problem.
Your IMRC (inside driver's side fender well) is hosed.
The Intake Manifold Runner Control is what actuates the cable to the clip to the DSI.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #63
Raziel510
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2098
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Raziel510 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
sorry for the noob question but, how do we fix it and get rid of the CEL?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #64
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Remove faulty IMRC, and install brand new one.
Disconnect battery while doing the R&R to reset the code.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #65
Aqua12632
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41244
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Aqua12632 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Talking Check this out...

Great write-up by the way!

I hope this info can benefit someone else...(it's a bit long, but could be informative)

SO i had the same problem and did basically the same thing to fix it, but after 2 months, it broke the plastic it was screwed into - here's what my brother & i did to fix that (let me know what you think!)

a few months ago, i bought a 2002 Focus SVT (used @31k miles) and when i bought it, the DSI clip was broken. i didnt really notice it at first, until i started cleaning stuff up... when i noticed the clip was broken, i did some research and found that the Ford dealer states the only way to replace the clip is to replace the upper intake manifold... yea right. (i now have found that they do offer a replacement clip, but who wants to replace it AGAIN when that one breaks?) A friend of mine helped me to get the airbox out for the first time to get a good look at it. Once we had it the issue out in the open, we decided that the easiest way to 'fix' the problem was to drill a pilot hole in the plastic piece and screw in a screw which we could reattach the cable to. (this is the same as this fix, but we came to this conclusion on our own)

It worked. my car had much restored low-end torque and it even sounded better! i was finally happy with the performance of the SVT focus...

...two months later, the screw broke out of the drilled hole, leaving only a broken piece of plastic behind. When it broke, the IMRC actuator started making a clicking noise (sounded like it was comming from the trans. at first) and it did not seem to want to stop. This was when i checked the dsi clip to see if it was attached. it was not, and the cable was repeatedly going in and out while the engine was running.

I eventually figured out that by pulling on the cable a little bit and revving the engine (about to 2.5k), it would stop, but the check engine light would turn on after that. After this, every time i started the car, i had to do this to get the noise to stop. (very annoying)

check engine light if i remember right was P1519 "(IMRC stuck closed)"

car went back to being a dog and a gas guzzler, and much more quiet

I talked to my friend (ASE Tech) later about it, and he decided to follow the cable back to where it went (fender well, driver side). he then disconnected the actuator(IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner Control) which caused a circuit fault code to appear, but the noise did not come back after that.

a little research, and it seemed the IMRC actuator was broken

My brother suggested a little more planning and design, and we could fabricate a mod for it that would last longer. First, to do that, we would need to take out the intake manifold.

once we had the Intake manifold out, we used a small piece of sheet metal and a couple screws and we were able to make something that i think will last much longer than the stock plastic piece. (the pic should be pretty self-explanitory)

we reattached the DSI clip and plugged back in the actuator then started it up - the noise came back. This time, however, it stopped after about 10-15 seconds on its own. After this, i noticed that it was not actually doing anything to the intake. the cable was stuck all the way out.

I figured out that the easiest way to take out the IMRC actuator (again in the driver's side fender well), was to take out the driver's side headlight. once i had it out, it was easy to unscrew the 3 screws holding it to the car. I pulled the cable out from the clip holding it to the intake manifold and disconnected the DSI clip. after that, it was only a matter of feeding the cable out through it's path from the engine.

having the actuator out, i decided to open it up. - as it appears the actuator was not made to be serviced, it was a little difficult, but once i had it apart, i could see that a plastic piece internally had stripped making it slip once it hit a certain point in it's rotation.

as of right now, i am driving my focus without the actuator installed at all until I can either replace or repair the current one (when i can afford it). check engine light stays on, and there is not much low-end torque or gas mileage, but at least i can get from a to b for now

Last edited by Aqua12632; 12-01-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #66
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
^^ damn, that does look sturdy. dont think thats going to break anytime soon, lol. Nice addition to the thread

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 12-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #67
tazz3131
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8558
What I Drive: 2002 SVT CD Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 tazz3131 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
my car has the same problem Aqua12632, it's still busted and i suffer gas milage, but that will change monday hopfully when my SC comes. YES!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #68
nickouellettesvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33575
What I Drive: 2002 focus svt

FF Reputation: 2 nickouellettesvt Good Standing Member
Mine has been broken for about 5 months now :/ The plastic clip on the cable broke as well on the IM, so I imagine I have to replace the whole assembly. I cant afford it so I just have to suffer :(. Unless some one has figured out a way to fix the cable as well as the clip on the IM
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #69
Aqua12632
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41244
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Aqua12632 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickouellettesvt View Post
Mine has been broken for about 5 months now :/ The plastic clip on the cable broke as well on the IM, so I imagine I have to replace the whole assembly. I cant afford it so I just have to suffer :(. Unless some one has figured out a way to fix the cable as well as the clip on the IM
hmm thats a tough one... i bet you can connect something else to the cable to be able to attach it to the DSI - either way, the clip is attached to the IMRC and should be on a new one. I am currently working on getting a new IMRC, so when i get the new one, if it has the clip on the cable, (it should) i will let you know - i can send you the one i have on my broken IMRC (the clip is still good) and you can try to put it on yours

if anyone needs a how-to on what was done to mod my dsi clip with a metal backpiece, PM me

*credit to WD40 - there is a replacement DSI clip sold by CFM Billet here :
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=1104

that is the first time i have come across anyone who's cable clip has broken and not just the DSI clip
Old 12-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #70
nickouellettesvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33575
What I Drive: 2002 focus svt

FF Reputation: 2 nickouellettesvt Good Standing Member
sweet aqua thanks, definitly let me know if you get that clip, I am sure I can jerry rig it on there. I was actually thinking about trying the clip from the cruise control cable since my CC doesnt work any ways lol. But I think the cable is thicker on the cruise control than the dsi cable

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->